What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It's Mushroom time o year

superx

Veteran
There was a blanket of dew over the valley and a thick cloud of fog when exiting the house early this morning, getting back to the typical Irish weather. Was perfect conditions and timing for picking i thought, its been many moons.

Good luck in your quest.....

al70

Veteran
There was a blanket of dew over the valley and a thick cloud of fog when exiting the house early this morning, getting back to the typical Irish weather. Was perfect conditions and timing for picking i thought, its been many moons.

Good luck in your quest.....
Perfect conditions this year, goodluck.

al70

Veteran
gonna be a good year, went out last year, last week of august, pissin against the tide, same place first week of september, i went into lower orbit with a fistful, september is the time.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I'm excited to get out this year as well al.. it's been a perfect weird weather year to bring out all the fun guys. I'm after edible medicinal mushrooms more than anything really If I want magies I grow them.

Yayy for Autumn!

troutman

Seed Whore
I need a new pressure cooker. :biggrin:

I miss those Smurf houses.

picture.php

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boletes and Chanterells are wonderful delights!

King & Queen Boletes are like burgers...
Black Chanterelles are like steak...

ID is pretty easy once you've seen what your area produces.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
All someone needs to do is get a Mushroom ID book and start with only picking the most blatently edible species.. learn the microbiomes and times of years things appear and the physiological features of the families.. Really quite easy to learn what you're looking at and the most commonly picked mushies are pritty unique in their habitat/synergy and looks that so long as you never eat something you aren't 100% on you can safely have a lot of fun in the woods looking and learning. within a few seasons your just dying for Autumn lol.

They are all pretty serious medicine. The Triterpenes, Triterpenoid saponins and noval polysaccharides in all, edible, mushrooms are powerful immuno stimulating, hepatoprotective, anticancer compounds, some mushrooms are more human orientated than others though.. I would really advise Mycelium running by Paul Stammets, and all of his books.. His company Fungi perfecti make some awesome products that are extract powders, I've saved a few lives by putting people on to there products.

Shame more stoners don't get into herbalism because there are boat loads of legal money to be made growing a bit of golden seal or Ginseng or False unicorn roots or Echinacea outside.. I fucking love herbs, it's SO much fun.. Saved my life in so many ways..

Sign

I have 2 mushroom books and the interwebs, too chicken to try anything though except dryads saddle.

I ate a lot of magic shrooms when I was a kid, but I was immortal and didn't have a family back then.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Aye ya just need to build up your confidence Sign. Thing is most that you will see are not edible but it is important to ID them and know them so that they never fuck with your head again... Helps to go out with other people though with several IDs so you can all come to a consensus.. When you learn where your friends grow it becomes such a high when you find them.. My fav is Hen of the woods,, Grifola frondosa..

Or wait until your kids get a bit older and start doing your head in and then you might want to risk it all a bit more lol

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure if Socal has any wild shrooms or not. I am near the mountains but dry in most areas so no idea where to look. I would think I could ID a real cubensis shroom. I grew and ate a few before.

al70

Veteran
i used to just walk for 15 min.s to find a good crop when i was young,thanks to the property developers i now have to get in the car and drive for a while to find some, found a good field this year, i find that fields with sheep in them yield most

Attachments

• 349876.jpg
    349876.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 31

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
In the UK I highly advise any large woodland or national park in late September through to the end of October.. Where woods meet open ground is usually some the best places, the boundaries between microclimates..

Wooded edges of large lakes can be really good. They act as a heat sink buffering the climate around them keeping it moister and cooler through late summer and warmer in autumn/winter.. That's my :2cents: Anyway..

picture.php

Amanitas are fun, I found Pantherina last year they're so beautiful.. Probably totally deadly but beautiful like digitalis or Monkshood.

picture.php

Not wild picked :D

Got shitloads of pics of mushies.. I did a mushroom walk a while back with a dude, int North , called Jesper launder who's a herbalist.. Id highly advise doing a walk with a mushroom wild forager some time, its usually £20-30 and a great day and then you cook em all up at the end :yummy:

Imagine a butty with 26 different species edible mushrooms in! Totally confused my stomach and I was in some other world for a day afterwards but was awesome..

The PNW of Amurica is full of mushrooms but idk about Cali.. Usually mixed broadleaf with some evergreen forests support the widest variety..

Last edited:

al70

Veteran
Have you tried the fly agaric S.O.G, i haven't been fortunate enough to come accross one yet, i've been told if i do find one just to take a small bite from it, they're very strong, would that be true,?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeah dont do that,, for starters they are the classic toadstool mushrooms that frogs would sit on to eat all the insects trying to eat the sweet sweet ambrosia flesh and bread of our lord :yummy:

Mushrooms are my god.. Them and electromagnetism lol..

You'll probably be nibbling on larvae basically..

The ibotenic acid takes about 2-3 hours to convert to enough muscimol(10-15mg) for effects to kick in.. You feel something after 30 mins..

I was wrong about pantherina, got confused, she is as safe as amanita but looks a bit like a much much more toxic relative in its early stages, you want a small-medium mushie and take it home to dry the bugs will fall out.. You can eat a whole small-medium one..

Never eat any mushies in the field would be my advice. If the worst happens for whatever reason you're dead meat in the middle of nowhere..

Its Alice in wonderland like stuff visual disturbances around size distortion,, at peak you're fucktarded like a drunken Irish poet barely able to move, some nausea,, it all passes..

Its all in the mind set, if you think your gonna have a bad time then you are.. If you're prepared and a bit seasoned its more fun.. Same with psilocybin or THC..

These are taken a fair bit as a recreational entheogen in siberia and almost all mycologists with a dim inclination towards entheogenic practice have ignorantly deemed them poisonous but their use is old..

Its hard to miss ID Amanitas and they are legal however the N.American Amanitas aren't the same as ours and are more toxic for some reason apparently..

Only my :2cents: I cant say I dont endorse entheogens though I am on a Ganja forum :biglaugh:

Last edited:

al70

Veteran
Yeah dont do that,, for starters they are the classic toadstool mushrooms that frogs would sit on to eat all the insects trying to eat the sweet sweet ambrosia flesh and bread of our lord :yummy:

Mushrooms are my god.. Them and electromagnetism lol..

You'll probably be nibbling on larvae basically..

The ibotenic acid takes about 2-3 hours to convert to enough muscimol(10-15mg) for effects to kick in.. You feel something after 30 mins..

I was wrong about pantherina, got confused, she is as safe as amanita but looks a bit like a much much more toxic relative in its early stages, you want a small-medium mushie and take it home to dry the bugs will fall out.. You can eat a whole small-medium one..

Never eat any mushies in the field would be my advice. If the worst happens for whatever reason you're dead meat in the middle of nowhere..

Its Alice in wonderland like stuff visual disturbances around size distortion,, at peak you're fucktarded like a drunken Irish poet barely able to move, some nausea,, it all passes..

Its all in the mind set, if you think your gonna have a bad time then you are.. If you're prepared and a bit seasoned its more fun.. Same with psilocybin or THC..

These are taken a fair bit as a recreational entheogen in siberia and almost all mycologists with a dim inclination towards entheogenic practice have ignorantly deemed them poisonous but their use is old..

Its hard to miss ID Amanitas and they are legal however the N.American Amanitas aren't the same as ours and are more toxic for some reason apparently..

Only my :2cents: I cant say I dont endorse entheogens though I am on a Ganja forum :biglaugh:
Thank's S'O'G, I'll stick to the liberty caps, goodluck.

Latest posts

Latest posts