What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Failure with Amnesia Germination

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I'm a former florist/grower with 47 years experience. I have grown lots of pot. I ordered 10 Amnesia Feminized seeds from Growers Choice in California. They showed within a week. I directly plant the seeds into Jiffy 7 peat wafers after I allow them to soak water for 5 hours. I then place them on a heating mat and usually have 80-90% germination within 4-5 days.
The seeds didn't look very robust. I planted anyway and only got germination on 2 seeds. I was disappointed and contacted growers choice and they told me because I didn't follow their germination guides, There was nothing they could do. I buy a lot of seeds. They will never get an order from me again.

Green Squall

I've only contacted seed companies on a few occasions for germination issues and they've always sent more seeds no questions asked. I don't think I would order from a company that refused either.

Good luck with the rest of your seeds if you can get them to pop. Amnesia is a great strain.

al70

Veteran
aww shit, i've got five here setting up shortly, got em from dutchseedsbank, i'll let ya know how they go, goodluck.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
This Grower's Choice guy really pissed me off not giving me replacement beans. I ordered LA Amnesia from Tommy Chong thru Seedsman. 10 out of 10 germination and growing nicely. Can'twait to get high on it! The 2 Amnesia plants that I got to grow from Grower's Choice are quite nice and chunking on more bud everyday.

F

Fermented

Do what I do. Make your own seeds, grow them, select the best and repeat. with control of the pollen you can grow seedless bud except for one branch. To do this, cover the branch to be seeded with a plastic bag, mist down the plant to kill any stray pollen that drifts away and keeping water off the pollen, sprinkle it or use a paint brush to pollinate that branch then re-cover it with the bag, remove the bag when the rest of the plant(s) have stopped dripping.

I haven't bought seeds since last century, but have a small circle of mates who share seeds that they have been growing for years. I lightly seed some plants most years, any plants grown from seeds of friends are usually seeded too.

There's several levels of the cannabis experience....the first level, which everyone goes to first is experiencing and appreciating the high, the second is growing your own which lifts your experience and increases your satisfaction but the third level is one that not many cannabis enthusiasts get to is producing seeds or producing your own hashish which some find to be very satisfying.

dddaver

Veteran
I think you might be surprised at the number of us 3rd level growers. You just never ever hear anything about us because the main reason we started doing that, and it still holds, is all the bs laws and unsavory elements surrounding the subject. :plant grow::xmastree:

F

Fermented

Temperature is also important for maximizing germination rates...I get way better germination rates at 25~30C, 78~88F, than at lower temps. I germinate on wet tissues in a sealed container for 24 ~36 hours then plant them all whether they have cracked open, have tails or haven't germinated yet. Also make sure the temperature of the soil is above 25 C.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm a former florist/grower with 47 years experience. I have grown lots of pot. I ordered 10 Amnesia Feminized seeds from Growers Choice in California. They showed within a week. I directly plant the seeds into Jiffy 7 peat wafers after I allow them to soak water for 5 hours. I then place them on a heating mat and usually have 80-90% germination within 4-5 days.
The seeds didn't look very robust. I planted anyway and only got germination on 2 seeds. I was disappointed and contacted growers choice and they told me because I didn't follow their germination guides, There was nothing they could do. I buy a lot of seeds. They will never get an order from me again.

Any company that purports that their seeds have some special germination technique are fools from the start and don't deserve to be in business!

Thanks for letting the good folks at IC know of your plight with these guys.

F

Fermented

Any company that purports that their seeds have some special germination technique are fools from the start and don't deserve to be in business!

So true, but you can do everything correctly, have viable seeds and still have zero germination if there are a few fungus gnats flying around the pots. (the best chemical free way to beat this is to use a fan directed at the pots to stop these gnats from laying in the soil...and keep mature fruit and fruit peels outside as they attract gnats into the house).

I wonder how many complaints about poor germination rates are caused by fungus gnats or less than ideal temperatures? What would you do if you owned a seed company, tested every batch for germination before shipping and yet you still got complaints? Would you giver them a free pack of the same seeds or ask questions about their germination techniques?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fungus Gnats have nothing to do with the subject though...
This is clearly about customer service.

Thanks again for the heads up on the POOR customer service.

F

Fermented

This is clearly about customer service.

You're right, the seed company's customer service was crappy.

Either the seeds were viable or they weren't right?...but is that the only reason for germination failure? Maybe fungus gnat larvae (or one of twenty other possible end-user mistakes) were the reason? Or do just believe that the poster was sent non-viable seeds. (I don't care either way, I have no horse in this race apart from pointing out other possible reasons for non-germination.

Organic fertilizers added to potting soils that have not been fully composted will also attract fungus gnats.

F

Fermented

I betcha some new grower will read this thread and will make sure that precautions are taken to minimize seed death by fungus gnat larvae.

Use bagged potting soil that's made for seedlings, or use standard bagged soil with 30% river sand added..don't add ferts to pots when germinating, then when the seedlings have grown, transplant them to larger pots that contain some organic ferts.