What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple natural fertilizers???

Shadrock15

I would like to find or make a good fertilizer that isn't salt based.
I run ff happy frog from germ - solo cup-
Pot up at 3 nodes with ff happy frog -1gal-
Veg in 1 gal pot for approx 8 weeks (give or take)
Then 3 gal. For flower with ff- happy frog mixed 1-2 with ff- strwberry fields
I use cal/mag every other water and i only use the dyna grow- grow nute but the dyna grow seems to create issues. That why i dont use the bloom or the magpro they always give me lockout. Any suggestions for somethin just natural

If you are growing strictly in soil, just use teas. There are plent of recipes out there, and if you want to go full hippy go KNF. Dragonfly earth medicine has a ton of recipes posted online

St. Phatty

That which comes out of your body naturally. Human urine & nightsoil.

Nothing original, they were widely used as plant fertilizer until about 100 years ago.

I have a rosebush that's about 7 feet tall. The only "special" treatment it gets is, if I'm outside, that's where I pee.

The other possible experiment I might do is to use my "kitty litter dumping site" as a source of soil for one of my Cannabis plants this summer. It's had a winter to get eaten by the worms.

I'm not sure how things will work, it it will still be smelly or just be soil.

When I belonged to a community garden in Sonoma County, there was a PhD couple that rented 4 of the garden spaces and were really into composting. The guy PhD loved talking about his compost and would grab a handful and shove it in your face.

Once I got used to this I had to admit, the composted steer manure he shoved in my face (in a friendly way :tiphat: ) smelled ONLY like composted soil, like the humus you find under leaves in the forest. All the cow poop smell was gone.

I figure food compost is sort of natural. I dump mine, mostly banana peels and coffee grounds, onto last year's big grow pots.

Just checked 3 of them, all wet and loaded with redworms. Which is what I hoped for :woohoo:

KaYa-mon

Nature provides for everything, lately on cnnb i was also reading an article of human feces as compost. Few years ago it was completly normal and also untill now in a lot third world countries it is still being used.

geneva_sativa

That which comes out of your body naturally. Human urine & nightsoil.

Nothing original, they were widely used as plant fertilizer until about 100 years ago.

I have a rosebush that's about 7 feet tall. The only "special" treatment it gets is, if I'm outside, that's where I pee.

The other possible experiment I might do is to use my "kitty litter dumping site" as a source of soil for one of my Cannabis plants this summer. It's had a winter to get eaten by the worms.

I'm not sure how things will work, it it will still be smelly or just be soil.

When I belonged to a community garden in Sonoma County, there was a PhD couple that rented 4 of the garden spaces and were really into composting. The guy PhD loved talking about his compost and would grab a handful and shove it in your face.

Once I got used to this I had to admit, the composted steer manure he shoved in my face (in a friendly way :tiphat: ) smelled ONLY like composted soil, like the humus you find under leaves in the forest. All the cow poop smell was gone.

I figure food compost is sort of natural. I dump mine, mostly banana peels and coffee grounds, onto last year's big grow pots.

Just checked 3 of them, all wet and loaded with redworms. Which is what I hoped for :woohoo:

Pretty sure cat shit is not a recommended amendment for gardens. . .

Seem to remember many warning about that, maybe its not right ?

KaYa-mon

Yes true, when you are pregnent that is;

"Toxoplasmosis is a parasitic disease caused by Toxoplasma gondii. Infections with toxoplasmosis usually cause no obvious symptoms in adults. Occasionally there may be a few weeks or months of mild flu-like illness such as muscle aches and tender lymph nodes. In a small number of people, eye problems may develop.In those with a weak immune system, severe symptoms such as seizures and poor coordination may occur. If infected during pregnancy, a condition known as congenital toxoplasmosis may affect the child.

Toxoplasmosis is usually spread by eating poorly cooked food that contains cysts, exposure to infected cat feces."

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is not everything from the earth at some point? All fertilizers, when in a usable forms for plant uptake are salts. Ions and anions.

The only difference is how those raw materials are converted or extracted and that is essentially chemically/mechanically vs biologically. I'd never use any form of human excrement with out it having gone through very specific biological treatments to mitigate the transfer of disease vectors, which is a VERY valid concern.

If you want simple, natural fertilizers, look for organic amendments and learn to feed the soil, not the plant.

dank.Frank

KaYa-mon

Indeed dank.frank that is the best way. I believe in completly organic even " my" strains i prefer as pure as possible.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Before going to a scratch soil mix I used Roots Organics original potting soil with their buddha grow & then buddha bloom ferts. That worked pretty well. They even have a booklet telling a grower how much how often & the transition from one to the other. It works even better if brewed as an aerated tea.

Here are some homemade ones I've used:

NITROGEN
Grass clippings, steeped in water for 3 days (use during the 3 days & discard)
Diluted urine (12:1 water:urine ratio)
Earthworm castings
Coffee grounds, used
Hair (clean human or animal hair; breaks down super slow)

PHOSPHORUS
Tetramin fish food (fish meal, shrimp meal, etc)

POTASSIUM
Banana peel tea

OTHER (Minerals, etc)
Blackstrap molasses
Epsom salts
Crushed eggshells

The banana peel tea made my buds noticeably bigger but also caused my leaves to go yellow & die abruptly in Week 7 (from seed, autoflowering plant). So go easy on that one if you decide to use it. The others have all worked exceptionally.

St. Phatty

I have a lot of rose-bushes, and one in particular that got watered a lot, with human urine. Because when I was working outside that was the convenient discrete place to go.

DAMN if that rose bush didn't become a monster rose bush !

I bought about 20 bare root roses. The one that really stands out is the one that got peed on.

As far as parasites in general ... soil is full of micro-fauna - including flesh eating bacteria.

I agree, it's good to be knowledgeable about worms (from cat poop) and also soil bacteria in general.

Those stories in the news where someone gets an infection from flesh eating bacteria - it's usually not a fancy bacteria. It's a plain old every day bacteria.

Moral of the story - if you got any open cuts on your hands, and you're working with soil, and you're not confident about your immune system ... wear gloves.

Also, I think it's good to have a stash of antibiotics so you can act quickly if something does get infected and your body needs a hand dealing with it.

DrDee

Hi Shadrock,
When doing soil I always had a small "wormfarm"...sometimes just a 5 gallon bucket. The worms facilitate composting and the end result, of course, was usable and renewable worm castings. I fed them mostly cornmeal with some non-noxious food scraps. Actually a fun little hobby.
JD

Easy7

Veteran
Do not use a meat based diet human shit. Composting human shit is different.

Guano
Humic acid
Kelp
Compost
Fermented plant teas

All good safe items.

I also use goat manure. Excellent base/start. Rabbit manure or sheep manure is also a good base. We have lot's of choices!