What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does today's music, television suck, because today's creators smoke indo?

Satyros

It sounds like a mixed issue to me.

If you narrow it to "what is hydro indica doing to people", it's maybe a little different than the overall down cycle of civilization. Although both are related to each other.

The first time I got high as a kid, I smoked something and walked home. Can kids even walk home any more? Anyway, the first thing I noticed about "what it's like to be high" was that a cat called my name...so no, I wasn't a zombie staring at a screen.

I would tend to agree with Weird that the folks who can't appreciate a non-narcotic high, probably can't even sense it to begin with.

Musically, for example, I was a fan of Krokus. They were weed heads from the 70s, sure. However, original guitarist Tommy Kiefer was a heroin guy. Despite that, his playing was creative and energetic, nothing that you would associate with serious narcotics. Although it led him to a fast and horrible demise.

It was the record company that paved and emasculated them for "The Blitz", as most companies did with most bands at the time...look, the bass is a background instrument, you've got to take the edge off that guy's voice, and go out wearing spandex pajamas or something. Didn't work out so good.

So I think in almost every case, whenever anything "goes commercial", it waters down to the lowest common denominator. Desire for profit is a fairly ugly enemy of the grassroots, independent underground, and I'd be impressed to find a situation where that does not apply.

St. Phatty

In the early 1970's, the professors in the Stanford Design Division (part of Mechanical engineering, but issues a General Engineering degree) did experiments with LSD and/or similar hallucinogens, to assess the effect on creativity.

Not sure what the results were.

In Silicon Valley, informal tests are done every day on this subject - by thousands of people.

I think, Sativa's are considered more of a morning smoke, and Indica's more of a late afternoon (4:20 PM) smoke.

In a pinch, you can use Mug Root Beer as a stand-in.

Used to "break it up" when I worked at Silicon Valley south. Meet with manufacturing personnel in their cafeteria and discuss Serious Manufacturing issues (like which women employees weren't wearing underwear).

I

izzypog

I was an 70's/80's kid, by the end of the 80's everything seemed to be swirling down the crapper. The piss poor information on the net about weed is rediculous. Now everyone is an expert, or because some icon in the cannabis industry tells you the best way to grow a plant. " The more things change the more they stay the same"

Sign

It sucks because the main idea going in is how they can advance and solidify the narrative. Then the next priority is usually graphics, the story is usually an afterthought. It doesn't help that the people in charge now have no imagination either, hence why we have sequels of sequels, prequels etc.

I

izzypog

Everything being released in Hollywood is about someone's cause. I wish that movies were about plots, instead of political opinions. I miss the old action movies, the good guy gets the bad guy, now it is about how we should act and think. People take themselves to seriously and then behave like cartoon characters, where did we go wrong raising our kids, what happened to manners, personal values, even morals? Humanity has de-evolved into a bunch cry babies. I miss Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson. Society is dead, long live society.

I

izzypog

I have no problems with the Hebrews, in fact I knew a man who passed recently who escaped the Nazi occupation, he was a good man.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I think Anne hit the nail. There's also the problem that today's TV shows are created by committees of uni grads who look back at what was successful in the past, create a formula for success and try to replicate it. There are no creative types making original content because they don't have the right background to fit into that environment and their ideas don't fit the formulas for success.
If an ad exec doesn't know which demographics will watch which formulas, its harder for them to place ads for their targets.

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
i thought 'indo' meant 'indoor' and was a buzzword, like how dealers throw around 'dro' like they know...

anyway, gimme the finish in november/ december, cured for 4 months oganic outdo anyday...

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
also, i dunno bout the commercial radio, but if you think today's music sucks, you haven't been looking hard enough.

Yes

Yes

Today, the quality of weed is rated completely different than it used to be. I constantly hear how great some bud is because it makes you pass out, or "i couldn't get off the couch"

I'm fairly certain no amazing albums are being written, no computers are being invented, no new perspective is being formed, no companies are being founded, and no distant nooks of nature are been explored by participants of today's legal weed market. I'd almost go as far as to say today's indica infected narrow spectrum sterile medium indo weed makes you a boring person.

Indo, sensi, indica, souiless: 4 trends pushed by growers/movers, for obvious reasons. Flared jeans came back.. Will euphoric, trippy, creative, inspiring, motivating giggle high weed? Or has the internet succeeded in ruining the human conciousness, by changing the sheep's expectation and corporate directed desires of fitting in?

I mean, dispensaries even grow their "sativa" hybrids poorly on purpose, and generalize it as Diet Weed Lite , just for the sole purpose that indica is easier to grow tons of. The attributes associated with Sativa,in the legal market, are all consistent with prematurely harvested, neglected bagseed.

I hear so much shit talked about how Sativa sucks.. I find it hard to believe the popularity of Cannabis suddenly became pinned on completely different properties than it was for 5 thousand years. The sheep need to stop steering the market at the capitalists wishes, its destroyed portions of society. And it's destroying weed. Anyone who prefers herb clean enough to be smoked instead of having to go into e-cigs can feel me.

Maybe I'm wrong about the origin of these trends toward narcotic weed. But a whole lot of rappers used to talk about hydro, yet none of them would smoke it. It seems pretty obvious that the financial interests with the biggest pockets control the trends everyone follows. Paying rappers to glorify endo while they all smoke deps? Totally sounds logical. The power of guerilla marketing.

Yes I agree. This is why I dont use cannabis anymore, until I can harvest a true pure sativa, so far I found the laos Dak cheung from landrace team, burma from indian landrace exchange and kerala chellatukki from khalifa genetics, combiangold 72 from real seed company to fit the bill.

I tried imported cannabis from Lesotho and Thailand. They were brown, seedy, leafy, compressed, smelled like hay, no trichomes. But the best plants ever, no other cannabis can compare, it's like comparing looking a picture of your mom to hugging your mom.

It was clear headed, invigorating, euphoric, trippy, enlightening, mystical, enchanting, mind expanding, peaceful, made me feel like a kid again, so fun. Its like it had the key to my soul. And potent too especially the thai.
No other cannabis has this effect or any of their effects, it just knocks you out, no fun, no fun.

I think the world leaders purposely introduced indica or ruderalis to places where sativa landraces were growing for centuries. Once indicas came into play, the counter culture, younger culture went down hill .
Heck even "R" from that old magazine said people became complacent in the 70s when the thai and mexican was gone, they started smoking complacent pot, not the invigorating pot.

:gday:

Attachments

• user65088_pic205210_1256760747.jpg
    user65088_pic205210_1256760747.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 44
  • user65088_pic205208_1256760747.jpg
    user65088_pic205208_1256760747.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 40
  • user65088_pic205209_1256760747.jpg
    user65088_pic205209_1256760747.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 37
I'm in New Zealand, up in the North Island. We don't have quite as good a climate for them as Aussie does, but they still grow very well up here. The Red Beard I referenced is actually of South African origin though.

Have you heard of old stock 60s or early 70s sativas still being grown over there, like stock that has never been close enough to any hybrids/indis/rudis to even remotely catch pollen?

I feel like all over the world, even in places where you can only find sativa looking plants like even in thai laos Indonesia, the indica has contaminated even if it was one season in the 80s, its just such a hopeless situation.
I mean who one earth has exclusively grown sativas since the 60s and 70s, far enough from any other plants to worry about pollen?

Brother Nature

There are some Thai strains still grown here from the 70's seed stock from back when Marty Johnston was still importing thai sticks (before the heroin) but I've never seen it commercially, it wouldn't sell in this day and age no matter how good it is. 13-15 foot tall plants, with stringy greasy buds that most modern smokers would turn their noses up at, until they hit it and go into a paranoid 'what the fuck is going on' state. I also can't speak to it not being pollinated by other things, purposefully or not, one of the most wanted cuts around is currently a sativa dominant hybrid that smells and tastes like grated carrots, finishes in 10-12 weeks and I'd almost guarantee has those 70's genetics in it, plus some early finishing stuff as she's a great producer and takes indoors very well.

I can't imagine there are many places, if any, left in the world where straight 100% heirloom sativas are being grown to be sold to others, it doesn't make sense from a commercial point of view and even those who grow the best buds want to get the best yields, it's the nature of a commercial market. We live in a culture that prides itself on excess and materialism, the strains of the past don't accomplish that. Thankfully we have people in this community who don't care about that, but those dudes are just doing it for themselves so we may never see their work. At least we still have companies like RSC to get us back to our origins.