What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cardiac Ablation

Smokerman

Veteran
So I had the electrophysiology procedure yesterday and they were able to replicate the fainting episode and they had to shock my heart.
Their conclusion is that I need an implantable defibrillator.
I REALLY have my doubts about this.
I’m ready to say to hell with the whole thing.
They said I have severe heart disease and coronary artery disease and some other crap.
I go see my cardiologist tomorrow but I know he’s going to agree with the hospital.
I’ll wait until I see my family Dr next week to make a decision because I trust him.
This whole friggin thing seems like a bad dream.

Gone Camping

Get the procedure done Smokerman..

I'v had a double bypass and angioplasty a few times now, my Dr has me awake but oblivious of most of the procedure.. it's nerve wracking but you'll be out enough that you shouldn't be moving/thinking anyway. Just let him know of your stress and he should be ethical enough to make you comfortable.

Last spring my Dr brought up a debib also.. I was able to bring my extraction fraction up above the 30% threashold with exercise and upping my activity. He also upped my meds.

Give yourself a chance, your in my prayers.

Smokerman

Veteran
Talked to both my cardiologist and family Dr about defibrillator implant and they both said I should do it, so I’ve decided to go ahead with it.
Hospital is going to set it up.

Pédetoddy

Talked to both my cardiologist and family Dr about defibrillator implant and they both said I should do it, so I’ve decided to go ahead with it.
Hospital is going to set it up.

Good choice. This device can improve your life quality.

Smokerman

Veteran
How you doing Smokerman?

I talked to the Dr last week and was told it should be within a couple of weeks
Here in Ontario the nurses are negotiating a new contract and recently walked away from the bargaining table. Nurses said there would be no job action, but I heard from a few people that things are bogged down a little in the hospitals.
In my opinion nurses are overworked and under paid anyway plus hospitals are trying to cut costs making nurses workload that much more.
I have the utmost respect for nurses considering what they have to do.
So if it slows things down a bit and I have to wait a little longer, so be it.

mellon

Here's something related to the thread topic. Cannabis can induce atrial fib which is treated by ablation. I was cardioverted out of atrial fib and then about 3 years later I took a tolerance break and when I went back to smoking I started with my previous amount, it was too much, and I had an uncomfortable night. When I woke I was back in atrial fib. After being in AF for 6 months I had an ablation which gave me a regular rhythm and a few months later I over did the weed again and when I woke I was back in AF. There are scholarly articles associating cannabis use and atrial fib, Google it.

Smokerman

Veteran
Implant is finally done.
Was supposed to be April 10, then it was changed to the 13th and finally done April 24th.
All went as expected.
No heavy lifting or raising my arms above my head for the next 6 weeks.
First follow up is July 12.
Hoping it never goes off as I’ve been told it’s like getting kicked in the chest by an elephant.

buzzmobile

Veteran
No heavy lifting or raising my arms above my head for the next 6 weeks.
First follow up is July 12.

Take care to follow those orders. Welcome home. I'm happy that you are OK. The first few days are the hardest. Be sure to walk and drink water.

Speedy recovery from one old faaart to another.
:)