What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How did you get into Cannabis growing?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
My father showed me some outdoor plants at age 14. I took care of them with him until harvest and thru hanging and drying. That next year fall I started growing under t12 flouro's.

After that measely harvest, the old man bought 1000w HPS. We made homemade ebb and flow tables from supplies from Wal-mart and the local hardware store. First crop i grew in that table was Williams Wonder, Early Pearl, Early Pearl Skunk, G13, and a cross made by the old man's grobro called HNLWW(haze/northern lights/williams wonder).

That crop was so good, the foot long coke can girth cola's made my arms break out in hives when i pulled fan leaves/tended to the plants. Up to that point, i never knew pot could be so good, lol.

amanda88

cost: plus the benefits of a 'cure all' around when needed and causes less issues than booze

UK1970's: Hash around and everywhere at a cost, but little actual bud and nothin in the 'Dam but tulips ..but hemp seed was legal
and for less than a dollar you could get a pound of hemp seed from your fish tackle store.. so we did

and grew out 100 plus, in solo cups it took about 9-12 months, or 2-3 generations to select the most smelly and sticky mothers, all from 12x12 from the go, from there we had our base start,

never looked back ..lol

cheers/

PDX Dopesmoker

I spent so much time in public parks picking seeds out of buds that it was inevitable I decided to grow out some of the seeds instead of just eating them. That was the late 1980s

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Good question.

I saw a discovery channel documentary with Marc Emery where he opened a little compartment, pulled out a blueberry plant and said "This is blueberry. This goes for 5000/lb in Ny. This was rigjt around the time when it was all Blueberry or chocolate at my local distribution outlet.

Then I found out about phenotypes.

I ordered some shishkaberry seeds from him and shishkaboy was created.

Green Squall

Smoking brick weed as a youngin'. I had so many seeds it only made sense to plant them. And it kept evolving from there....

Relentless

Veteran
started out growing cubensis so friends and I could trip.. ended up trading cubes for bud for a couple yrs then I almost burnt my house down in the process of growin cubes and realized I didnt like tripping or anything to do with mush anymore so I started growing what I loved anyways..:D

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
1991-2 I was puffing some Haze x NL and it was so awesome, I asked my Buddy where was it coming from. Not a who or details but this country a different one, whatever he could tell me. He took me to his Dad's place and showed me the plants. They looked ok, but since I have been growing other plants since I was a child I thought I could do a better job. And i was right btw. So he gave me some seeds and been at it since. Many failures and many success. Learned to be grateful for any harvest good bad or ugly.

I just love gardening so I guess it was inevitable. I just try to grow herb I like to smoke. Trying out different strains is a passion.

To the OP, cool thread. You were asked in this thread if you grow...do you?

Cheers!

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Read an article in High Times. Said 1/4 lb per plant harvests were not just possible but common in back yards. 4 oz might as well have been 4 lbs. I wanted to do that.

1/4 lb per plant.... Ha Ha!

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
got ripped off once (which is really too many times) by a crackhead or junkie of some sort who was supposed to be going to cop for us. i said never again and started collecting seeds.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
My girlfriend, now my wife of 35+ years..

My girlfriend, now my wife of 35+ years..

She and her girlfriend (both from Baltimore) planted a seed in a large clay pot.. They lived right in the middle of Hollywood.

What do you know, it was a female. It was probably 3 feet above the pot. Then it flowered.

They put little (premature) buds on everybody's presents.

They neighbors were taking little buds but it didn't get you high :party:

canned abyss1

Veteran
Read an article in High Times. Said 1/4 lb per plant harvests were not just possible but common in back yards. 4 oz might as well have been 4 lbs. I wanted to do that.

1/4 lb per plant.... Ha Ha!

That's funny I remember when I was around 16 back in 89 and was sitting talking to Steve Hagar (high times editor at the time) at a campground after a pot rally and I asked him why they put sad looking pics of plants in the magazine and call it plant of the month and brag that they got an ounce from it, he told me an ounce per plant is a great yield indoors and asked what I was getting, when I said 4 ounces mininum, he scoffed and doubted me. He asked how and I explained that I have a 1000 watt light (this was during the operation green merchant era and running 1000 watts was risky) with rockwool in a 4x4 area with Mylar on the walls and I tie down the plants so that they branch out to multiple colas (what is now commonly referred to as lst). I was told that I was crazy and that was way to much light in that space (now it is the standard) fortunately for some that were listening to the conversation they paid attention and tried it out and when I seen them later on they confirmed the results and thanked me for the knowledge.