What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How did you get into Cannabis growing?

Although I am sure some of you got into it for the huge potential profit from starting up a medical cannabis dispensary but others may be doing it just to have their own home grow that caters to their needs. What about you though, why did you start one in particular?

amanda88

cost: plus the benefits of a 'cure all' around when needed

and causes less issues than booze

Last edited:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I started back in 2007 just because it interested me. It was off an on from there until I really got into it 4 or 5 years ago. You wouldn't be out of line if you said I was borderline obsessed nowadays.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
How did you get into Cannabis growing?

I decided I didn't want to smoke brick weed or crap anymore,
and I sure as hell wasn't gonna pay $120 an oz. to buy the top notch stuff...

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
About the same reasons as Bud. I got tired of paying top dollar for dust and seeds. And then I lost my connection.....moved away. Well, that was 15 yrs ago, now I don't much want to smoke other peoples pot.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
woohoo.gif
[/FONT]

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I couldn't find any good weed...I thought Mary Jane had forsaken me...

then the earth changed rotation (2005) and I saw the cover of a High Times Magazine.
(This is from a closet?...I got a closet!

Dutch seed bank complete growguide: just follow the yellowbrick road...that & Overgrow.

PS: Discovered internet 2005, dial-up :D

Lochinvar

My brother started 20 seeds in 2001 on a government owned island in the bay. They grew and about 1 million neighbors could see them all. We brought them up to the hills and put them in my yard. The cops stole half of them in late september. the rest is history.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I had tried a few times and failed. Then somebody gave me a slip of paper that said, "icmag.com". Haha, that is true, and I been flying high ever since.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Started back in 1976...

Started back in 1976...

It started, me and my buds had Fruit Cake pans full of seeds.

We planted out our giant backyard near the corner of Pico and Crenshaw in Los Angeles.....

We had plenty of this weed but it wasn't as good as the brick we were selling.

Then I bought a Phototron 3000 which was advertised in Penthouse Magazine.

That's when I learned about sexing plants :woohoo:

I still have my Phototron 3000 :party:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Started in ’98. Wanted to do it for quite a few years before then. Just wasn’t able to because of my living arrangements.

I was purchasing top-quality homegrown stuff from a good friend’s older step-brother for years. Eventually I was trusted enough to visit and see the babies first hand. This was before the influx of carbon filters. I remember being amazed at the smell when pushing through the front door of the house... like walking into a wall of funky goodness... just smelling ‘em was intoxicating and thrilling... then I saw them... and I knew there and then that I’d start as soon as I was out on my own...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How?

I made myself useful to a grower until they needed a new hand.

I had started a few years earlier, but that was clown town and I puttered around for awhile.

Why?

Doobers4lifebitches

U

useless.gardens

high times magazine. finding plots in the woods as a kid. the desire to grow and smoke my own. the urge to smoke variety. & growing for myself when smoke became pricey. so many reasons. everything changed for me when i snatch a mh lamp outta the back of an old hightimes mag. still have and use that lamp mad years later. internal ballasted 250w mh. went from that...years later... to a basement for flower & 7 veg tents.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Moving from NY, where I had a network of 'connections' :smoke out:to Fl where I had none :tumbleweed:, long about 50 years old I couldn't get any of 'the kind' any more... I was too old to approach 'kids' and to young to ask the people that were, now, my age... I COULDN"T GET IT!
USMC: "adapt and overcome" < that's why

U

useless.gardens

Moving from NY, where I had a network of 'connections' :smoke out:to Fl where I had none :tumbleweed:, long about 50 years old I couldn't get any of 'the kind' any more... I was too old to approach 'kids' and to young to ask the people that were, now, my age... I COULDN"T GET IT!
USMC: "adapt and overcome" < that's why

my brother loves eating snook. he moved to fla just to fish any day he likes.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
interesting topic again by shelton
i am waiting for your thread on mexican food

/shelton, do you actually grow youself?
#tacorevolution