What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Becoming a gardening hermit

St. Phatty

Nothing is better to me than walking into a warm bright grow room from the cold dreary outside. Like going on a mini vacation. I hate cold weather. Love to lean back in a chair close my eyes feel the heat off the 1000 watts on my face. Puff a fatty and forget how cold it is outside:)

I agree. That's one of the reasons I scheduled my grow the way I did this year.

2000 watts when it was coldest, then 1400, then 1000 (where it is now).

Definitely on the coldest days, I took the laptop and hung out in the heated grow room.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I understand the OP. the hardest part is not being able to escape your grow when you don't have anyone to trust with it.
if I build up a stash and shut down I lose my strains.
I wish I could go somewhere legal.

with the strong strains depression thing, I'm chronically ill and need lots of herb to maintain.
finding the right pain relieving strains that provide motivation for daytime use has been important for me.

N

Nopapersleft

Lol at tonygreen doin man things!
Not to steal this thread but are there any body buzz strains you find motivating? Sounds like you've had more years than me to find the right strains. I'd be happy if you expanded some on that

mrS0ul

Meatball in Residence
I'm chronically ill and need lots of herb to maintain. ...finding the right pain relieving strains that provide motivation for daytime use has been important for me.

...are there any body buzz strains you find motivating? Sounds like you've had more years than me to find the right strains. I'd be happy if you expanded some on that

Hey Chunkypigs!
I would be happy if you expanded on this as well. :tiphat:

:bandit:
~S0ul

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Hey Chunkypigs!
I would be happy if you expanded on this as well.

~S0ul

I like to start my day with energizing strains like Jack Herer, Lemon Skunk,Chernobyl, pineapple, ECSD, Stardawg, things that lift my mood and energy but have less of a body buzz, less couch lock.

if you can't access clones I've had good luck with energetic morning weed from TGA Vortex and Chernobyl

I try to rotate through as many strains in a day as I can finishing with OG or cookies when I'm heading for bed.

In my perfect stash I have enough variety to smoke 7 different strains a day and over 20 to choose from so everyday is different.

I have 4 auto immune diseases and the Diesel / Chem / OG / Cookies strains help me the most and it has been worth it
to access the clones for real relief.

about a year ago when I harvested the Forum I kinda got hooked on smoking that all day until I switched to OGKB 2.0 at night,
but I will get burned out on anything if I smoke too much of it.

my daytime favorites:
Chernobyl
picture.php

Vortex
picture.php

P75 Pineapple Princess on left GG#4 on right
picture.php

ECSD
picture.php

Sour Dubb
picture.php

Back on the topic of being a hermit… when I went from being a lurker here to actually posting, then putting up pictures,
then having a thread and getting more into the community here it helped me even though I have to remain "anonymous" because my medical state suck$ a$$.

I'd say get active online and try to travel sometime to a legal state for a weedcation and to score genetics.

N

Nopapersleft

Thanks for sharing! I need to get my hands on some chernobyl. Stuff looks stellar.
I'm the same way. When you live a solitary life without anyone to talk to about growing, these forums really can be an escape. My anonymous brothers of the counter culture haha.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I like my home drama free...I go out for fun and come home without worry...yeehaw ...I like my garden as secret as possible even tho I am medicinal..i make sure to get out a few times a week and my guard bitch watches things fo me..my own black domina x bubbleberry in greenhouse now

abl12

I totally understand you brother, i feel like i wanna be a gardening hermit though. Thankyou for the perspective :)

I used to have a very intense life of travelling from big city to big city while dealing with nothing but people. Since getting my license about two years ago I've completely dropped out of society.

I now have a dream life living in beautiful places and spending my time alone with my plants, reading, writing and enjoying what I please with no stress. I often wonder if I'm sacrificing these years of my life because I don't interact with other people anymore and I wonder if I'm going to regret that as I get older.

But it's hard to imagine being much happier than I am right now. I became miserable in cities having to deal with people. Living in the country where it's quiet really agrees with my soul.

abl12

I used to have a very intense life of travelling from big city to big city while dealing with nothing but people. Since getting my license about two years ago I've completely dropped out of society.

I now have a dream life living in beautiful places and spending my time alone with my plants, reading, writing and enjoying what I please with no stress. I often wonder if I'm sacrificing these years of my life because I don't interact with other people anymore and I wonder if I'm going to regret that as I get older.

But it's hard to imagine being much happier than I am right now. I became miserable in cities having to deal with people. Living in the country where it's quiet really agrees with my soul.

I think as we grow older, its natural for us to fear a solitary life. It may be a remnant of our primal hardwiring, we need a solid family group to survive even if that means 4 other people. I guess its normal to think we are gonna regret this lifechoice. But provided we also make a few worthwhile connections with people we love I think its possible to carry on:huggg:

H

Huckster79

I love the solitude

I love the solitude

Growing has allowed me to meet the introverted part of myself I never knew... Just a small medical grow but after a long day of being social me ( being social is part of my job) I look forward to the whole house sleeping but me and the dogs and I go and prune and train and love on my girls usually in dead silence minus the duct system... And for me it is my time to me, the real me. I'm free to let my mind wander and Exo,ore deep thoughts or to let it laugh and be light hearted... It has really increased my enjoyment of life and find the growing of it as thereputic as the end product, maybe more....

mrS0ul

Meatball in Residence
Like Johnny Cash said. I've been everywhere. Man. I love my remote Mountain Grow Fortress and the Mayberry RFD life that goes with it. I've got my gal, my dog the mountains the water and over an hour to any big box retail store [ex Wal-Mart]. Strictly Mom & Pop.
There is a small college town 68 minutes away
and a Major Metro or two or three within 3 hours.

I left NOVA & the DMV along w/ a 6 figure creme puff job without batting an eye. The unemployment rate here on paper is -+15% and the average per capita income is near 4 figures.

People here garden / farm / rope goats/ graze cattle as a way of life and take minding their own business to heart and in a geographic area of conservative arcane repressive fascist pot laws my area is surprisingly weed friendly. The local outdoor fare two distinct phenos of a heavily inbred line I suspect. One lower yielding medocre structure and better head the other a massive apical cola that yields nice /looks impressive for what it is and is lame as fuck. Market locked down on this $12 us per gram. An 8 weighs 2.2 - 2.5 gr. [$30] A quarter is typically tipping under 6 if they are shitting in one of your hands this week 4.99 gr if they are shitting in both.

I agree w/ Huckster there is peace in the life of a Garden Hermit. I love it.

That and an epic road trip once in a while.:biggrin:

Last edited:

I say keep writing. If you get good enough at it you will be able to connect with folks worldwide and even attract likeminded writer chicks too. true story. Its like being Bukowski the grower almost. Without the post office part...and alcoholism..

Well said ya'll...wouldnt have it any other way...civilization is obsolete...it is the cancer of its last phase. I like being bothered by nothing but deer, red tail hawks, and uh, wind.

Theres also the opportunity as a writer and grower to write about what we do. I have been exploring this recently and getting great feedback. Sometimes I read gold miners diaries from when the gold rush was happening here. Just the details of the politics alone can blow the lid off the highest bid lies of history.

mrS0ul

Meatball in Residence
Bukowski

Bukowski

Dinosauria, we*

born like this
into this
as the chalk faces smile
as Mrs. Death laughs
as the elevators break
as political landscapes dissolve
as the supermarket bag boy holds a college degree
as the oily fish spit out their oily prey
as the sun is masked

we are*
born like this
into this
into these carefully mad wars
into the sight of broken factory windows of emptiness
into bars where people no longer speak to each other
into fist fights that end as shootings and knifings

born into this
into hospitals which are so expensive that it’s cheaper to die
into lawyers who charge so much it’s cheaper to plead guilty
into a country where the jails are full and the madhouses closed
into a place where the masses elevate fools into rich heroes

born into this
walking and living through this
dying because of this
muted because of this
castrated
debauched
disinherited
because of this
fooled by this
used by this
pissed on by this
made crazy and sick by this
made violent
made inhuman
by this

the heart is blackened
the fingers reach for the throat
the gun
the knife
the bomb
the fingers reach toward an unresponsive god

the fingers reach for the bottle
the pill*
the powder

we are born into this sorrowful deadliness
we are born into a government 60 years in debt
that soon will be unable to even pay the interest on that debt
and the banks will burn
money will be useless
there will be open and unpunished murder in the streets
it will be guns and roving mobs
land will be useless
food will become a diminishing return
nuclear power will be taken over by the many
explosions will continually shake the earth
radiated robot men will stalk each other
the rich and the chosen will watch from space platforms

Dante’s Inferno will be made to look like a children’s playground
the sun will not be seen and it will always be night
trees will die
all vegetation will die
radiated men will eat the flesh of radiated men
the sea will be poisoned
the lakes and rivers will vanish
rain will be the new gold

the rotting bodies of men will stink in the dark wind

the last few survivors will be overtaken by new and hideous diseases
and the space platforms will be destroyed by attrition
the petering out of supplies
the natural effect of general decay

and there will be the most beautiful silence never heard

born out of that.

The sun still hidden there
awaiting the next chapter.

Bukowski Reads Dinosauria, we
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVR4CB78IOc

Last edited:
Nice one. Or like H D Thoreau the grower in the future. Everywhere you look nowadays there's inspiration. Whenever I'm thinking about something really fucked up, which is semi often, if I get chills I usually sit down and start turning it into something. By doing this I almost feel like I'm above it (dont get started on oneness right now I'm tired) Having turned the greatest horrors of our existence into art. Its a strangely satisfying thing. I highly recommend it. And reading the greats. Never read Ulysses? Finnegans Wake? Now you can :) with your feet in the dirt too fuck it

Latest posts

Latest posts