What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Becoming a gardening hermit

Garyoutlaw

I have been growing perpetually for years & though I love my gardens it's clear that I have became a bit of a hermit because of it ..In the beginning stages I felt I had to keep tabs on my garden to make sure everything was growing properly and provide personal security
- I realize that the constant intake of powerful strains could magnify my depression & lack of desire to do the things I once felt so passionately about doing but I need a change of pace

Anyone feel me ?

Attachments

• DSC00779.jpg
    DSC00779.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 27

Runt

I think I know what you mean. I live in a country were weed is still very illegal so when I grow (medical -chronic pain) I minimize the amount of people I allow into our home which leads to isolation. I also suffer from bouts of depression and that´s when I´d need more people around to bolster my spirits. Not an easy equation.

N

Nopapersleft

Are you married yet or no? Shit man I live a similar life and even battle some slight depression at times. Can't say every strain makes me feel better, but damn do I enjoy gardening. It is who I've become and it just wouldn't feel right without a few girls going

N

Nopapersleft

Sometimes it feels like a nice hard tolerance break would be the only way to get a change of pace

R

Robrites

I go through hell every winter. Getting through March is a big deal and then I am ok.

Plants are life and tending them gives me purpose and hope.

Get out. Get active. Life is all around us.

N

Nopapersleft

Definitely robrites! I think mid winter people are especially susceptible to depression due to the lack of vitamin d. Sunshine really makes ya feel better if you're inside all the time.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

feel that, i have best friends don't even know where i live . can't trust anyone in this game . even if they can be trusted . something go,s missing last person you want to be looking at as a potential candidate is some of your best friends .

its a solitary game , not a group sport this one . :)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
go outside....yeehaw..but I know what your saying..even when legal there is still rippers/robbers...

Tynehead Tom

The idea of being a garden hermit actually appeals to me LOL
I grew indoors for years, nothing massive, but a 5 light , 200 plant semi perpetual set up every 7 weeks for 9 of those years straight. I also had many hobbies and would have to time my gardens so I could take breaks when I needed too. example 2weeks hunting every fall, 2 weeks salmon fishin in the summer, travelling to be with the family for Christmas and new years. Other than that, it was me and the garden LOL
I got married 8 years ago and simply out of respect for the wife and our situation I've kept my gardening hobbies to a few small plots under the sun, hours from home. I'm very broken from a job site injury (former bridge builder/steel fab/mechanical engineer) and as I get closer to hittin 50, the body is just not gonna let me continue my outdoor plots.

so it's back to a modest medicinal grow , indoors, with full approval of the wife (she's a darling) and it's funny this thread came up. Where we live we don't get many visitors anyways, we're pretty far removed hehehe so I already live a hermit like existence. I dunno, some folks deal with it differently. I take the time to enjoy the little things and go for walks with the dogs, drag my tinboat out for a few hours of trout fishin.
depression is a mean bugger, I know intimately, I've made it with out pills, and medicate both my pain issues and depression issues with weed.
Now about rippers and robbers..... I was home invaded by 3 armed shitheads on valentines day 2005. I was critically stabbed thru the abdomen and nearly died. my entire rooms and valuables were cleaned out.
In the end, full circle, my brother, whom I had showed my room to a couple times, bragged about it to some shitheads he worked with. And that was all it took. TELL NO ONE LOL
reality is, that's the true reason I stopped farming indoors years ago before getting married, so I go into setting up my first indoor little room in a decade with much apprehension. We'll see , looking forward, if I can manage the garden hermit lifestyle once again.... I'm kind of excited LOL

St. Phatty

Yeah, the laws turn most grow ops into covert operations.

You can't put it on your resume for some job applications :woohoo:

but running a successful grow op for a period of years takes a number of skills.

The laws, that they call "legalization", oddly still have the effect of separating us.

Legalization = being able to go to a bar and smoke a doob with other people.

And being able to grow without fear of any legal anything.

S

sourpuss

Nothing is better to me than walking into a warm bright grow room from the cold dreary outside. Like going on a mini vacation. I hate cold weather. Love to lean back in a chair close my eyes feel the heat off the 1000 watts on my face. Puff a fatty and forget how cold it is outside:)

Sforza

Veteran
I have been growing perpetually for years & though I love my gardens it's clear that I have became a bit of a hermit because of it ..In the beginning stages I felt I had to keep tabs on my garden to make sure everything was growing properly and provide personal security
- I realize that the constant intake of powerful strains could magnify my depression & lack of desire to do the things I once felt so passionately about doing but I need a change of pace

Anyone feel me ?[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=351300&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=351300&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I like being a hermit. Why would smoking good bud make you depressed? What you used to like to do, that was then and this is now. If you are an old fart, you are probably not going to enjoy running around chasing tail and getting smashed in clubs like you did when you were a young buck.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. Then, when I became a curmudgeon, I put away the manly things and started acting like a hermit, taking care of my plants.

R

Robrites

I like being a hermit. Why would smoking good bud make you depressed? What you used to like to do, that was then and this is now. If you are an old fart, you are probably not going to enjoy running around chasing tail and getting smashed in clubs like you did when you were a young buck.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. Then, when I became a curmudgeon, I put away the manly things and started acting like a hermit, taking care of my plants.

Out of rep for today but good words.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
It's the cat, obviously. That thing is sucking your soul and wont stop until you are a dried husk of a human. Get outside , go fishin' or something. The grow will be there when you get back provided the cat hasnt eaten it or used one of your plants for a litter box.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great words, Sforza...When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. Then, when I became a curmudgeon, I put away the manly things and started acting like a hermit, taking care of my plants.

Latest posts

Latest posts