What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are all OGs spindly viney and prone to mold?

Wondering if there are any OGs out there that grow more like a sour or chem and still have that nose and taste.

What qualifies a true OG?

Are there any crosses that make more stable genetics and better production? Spindly, viney, sparse, moldy.....

Is there a specific feeding regimen that you should use to help tame the OG?

BubbaBear

Yes they are...the super lanky bamboo like structure with three fingered leafs is the tell tail signs of any pure OG. Yes there all like that. Theres some OG hybrids that have thicker stalks and grow a little more stout but the more OG dominant the hybrid the taller and lankier its gonna be. A few of the more stout hybrids are $100 OG, Skywalker OG, louie OG and herojuana OG. OGs like plenty of calmag and topping and training.

EastBayGrower

Veteran
He said it all, very well written, every sentence in there is truth and gold to anyone growing true OG, that spindly viney growth can be thickened with silica and plenty of cal but still super viney, needs to be caged and supported forsure...

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Supercropping saves buds lives........do it in veg, and watch buds actually hold themselves up. Top a certain point anyways(the stems supporting the buds)

thanks for the info I'm going to definitely start supplementing my OG with cal mag. Looking forward to seeing if i can get it to produce.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Most people say those things about OG because of havig a weak cut. A healthy and vigorous cut of OG will yield and grow sturdy yet viney.

thanks for the info I'm going to definitely start supplementing my OG with cal mag. Looking forward to seeing if i can get it to produce.

I've got a Cherry Og keeper. Small leaves, very bushy. Doesn't sound much like what others described Og Kush.
It's a keeper for a reason. Frosty buds. Powerful high not for daytime.

She doesn't look the prettiest close to harvest because she sucks the life out of the fan leaves. It's the heaviest feeder I've grown & so supplement with cal/mag regularly.

Most people say those things about OG because of havig a weak cut. A healthy and vigorous cut of OG will yield and grow sturdy yet viney.

On the hunt for that classic sour pinesol kush terpenes but want a structure more similar to chemdawg 4. The yield on chem 4 is pretty awesome and the plants are pretty sturdy. Somehow chem is in the lineage of OG so I know theres gotta be some good ones out there...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On the hunt for that classic sour pinesol kush terpenes but want a structure more similar to chemdawg 4. The yield on chem 4 is pretty awesome and the plants are pretty sturdy. Somehow chem is in the lineage of OG so I know theres gotta be some good ones out there...

Try looking for a Chem4 x OG. Get some seeds, make F2s, search the F2s for your keeper. It will take some time but that would be your best bet for finding what your after.

Also...
Chems n OGs may be related but OG didn't come from the Chem lines. If ya do some reading you'll see that OG had been around for a couple years previous to the Chem lines surfacing in 1991.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
The top og are not spindly viney weak branched. They are vigorous, resistant and easy to grow. That's from 2 top og cuts I seen with my own eyes. Don't ask me for names I wasn't given any info.

Cox Jared

I am an outdoor grower in Hawaii - been with a family of growers who have grown for decades. Let me tell you, we stay away from anything with the 'OG' or 'Kush' in them. Super prone to mold problems.

Z

z-ro

OG may get powder mold easy, but if you guys are having problems with bud rot, well you messed up big somewhere along the line. Ive seen large outdoor gardens of OG sit in the rain and come out with not a piece of mold when the blue dreams, c99s, cookies all got heavy mold.

Last edited:
Wondering if there are any OGs out there that grow more like a sour or chem and still have that nose and taste.

What qualifies a true OG?

Are there any crosses that make more stable genetics and better production? Spindly, viney, sparse, moldy.....

Is there a specific feeding regimen that you should use to help tame the OG?

Earthy flavor with lime green buds and orange or red hairs will qualify a bud to be an OG. Dark green sweet leaves is nice to but is more of the og kush side.

The OG is more indica, sleepy while the OG kush is more sativa.

I have am growing all OG kush this year. The nockoffs are not even close to the real thing. I got my southern california clone of Tahoe og VS ogk by RQS and others.

So far the local clone and some of my bag seed(ogk) takes the win. The others seem to be mixes or fakes.

So far the smaller buds on lanky plants have been the better. So when you get it bushy you might sacrifice quality.

810FireFarm

OG is viney & lanky, with golfball size nugs crusted in trichs, not a chritsmas tree frame, more like skinny menorah(?sp??)

smells of earthy pledge or pinesol, moth balls, pine, fuel and lemon cleaner mix

can not smell the jar enough times

AS far as OG seeds i would recommend Rare Dankness and Karma.

OgKushfromlemonyseed31.jpg

Real OG produce thick leaves, you walk into a grow room during mid bloom and just by the leaves and the way they frost you will know its og. Very indica leaning like the other guy said lanky nodes, short, golfball sized buds swirling up the big main stalk.

The og Kush however is a different beast and ranks up there in potency. It has a earthy smell but with swamp funk added.

The OG is great against mold. Ofcourse it is no sativa so you can let it flop in the jungle 24/7. Indicas grow best in the high desert. If i was in Hawaii and didnt have good sativa genes i would only grow og and stop the rain from soaking it 24/7.