What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fess up! how many of you old farts need a nap?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Esspressos are highly acidic and lower your oxygen levels. Once the caffeine wears off you crash to your now lower oxygen/energy level. The higher quality the esspresso (starpukes is garbage even before all the acidifying corn syrup and chemical adds), the less acidic it is and the less of a crash you experience.

Drink enough of them, and they will make you acidic enough you will get tired even with all that caffeine. ;)

Rgd

Veteran
Esspressos are highly acidic and lower your oxygen levels. Once the caffeine wears off you crash to your now lower oxygen/energy level. The higher quality the esspresso (starpukes is garbage even before all the acidifying corn syrup and chemical adds), the less acidic it is and the less of a crash you experience.

Drink enough of them, and they will make you acidic enough you will get tired even with all that caffeine. ;)
I thought it was just nodding off coffee junkie syndrome

I roast my own

armedoldhippy

Veteran
last few days, i seem to be falling under the malign influence of my recently adopted cat. i'll be innocently passing the bedroom door & spot her napping on my pillow, and i'm suddenly struck by the idea that joining her for a bit just seems the right thing to do at the moment...:dunno:

moose eater

wonder if falling asleep for one minute x 30 is similar..

I don’t like this nap thingy.. never completely wake up

made-up my mind...trying to not do naps.. period
They differentiated between short naps (what I'd call a true power nap), and those that last over 30 minutes, and offered up several scenarios that might explain the correlation, most having to do with upsetting the internal clock.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
They differentiated between short naps (what I'd call a true power nap), and those that last over 30 minutes, and offered up several scenarios that might explain the correlation, most having to do with upsetting the internal clock.
Yeah. My circadium rhythm is all screwed up

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I'm a night owl, not by choice but one of the side effects of dementia which has increased in severity exponentially since the fire. It is a blessing in a sort of way because I can focus all my attention (undisturbed). By the time most folks get up. I already have a full day in. So if I grab an hour in the afternoon, I don't feel guilty, especially when we were told grab 'em while you can.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
500mg of quality myo-inositol (Vitamin B8) works wonders! Energy, mood lift, help burning excess sugars, no sife effects and no crash or interrupted sleep after it wears off. :) I've found a high quality source and I love it. :)

moose eater

I'm a night owl, not by choice but one of the side effects of dementia which has increased in severity exponentially since the fire. It is a blessing in a sort of way because I can focus all my attention (undisturbed). By the time most folks get up. I already have a full day in. So if I grab an hour in the afternoon, I don't feel guilty, especially when we were told grab 'em while you can.
I've been a night owl, by virtue of dyssomnia, for decades. Long time. Broken sleep for numerous reasons, including PTSD, farm work in earlier life, stoking wood stoves for primary/exclusive heat for years, etc.

I used to stay up all hours and do projects or wake up in the middle of the night and do projects.

I simply don't have the energy or focus anymore. I burn out early, even if I want to keep going.

If I'm ON a project, I can keep the 'circular energy' or 'self-perpetuating momentum' (my best description) going, as the effort feeds the blood flow, etc., and helps to maintain forward momentum, but starting into a project late at night is more often than not simply like having one's motor die at the starting line of the track.

Only lately have I been getting into a routine dream state at night, which is an indicator of deep sleep, and much of that is not calming, despite now smoking cannabis somewhat regularly, especially at night before bed, though having quit the THC-A extract I was doing respectable doses of daily for a long period. And the dreams are pretty vivid, often conflict oriented, though not always, and clear in my mind and memory for a while longer than just after waking.

It's frustrating to be tired through the day, too.

But apparently, it's the longer naps that can screw up the internal rhythm as it affects the heart rate.
I wonder how many seniors end up countering some of this in the daytime with a Rx from their Docs (or not) for Provigil, Nuvi Gil, Adderall, Dexedrine, etc., etc.?

Of course, then a person has to do that, or coffee, or whatever, earlier in the day, or it stands to feed the problem by adding to the difficulty of going to sleep in the normal evening or later evening hours.

Also read something recently about attaining deep sleep and the interference of lighting, even though asleep with eyes closed, etc.. That never used to bother me either, but now we're into the summer cycle of the long days and Sun, and man, it's time to get some curtains put up I think.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
often conflict oriented, though not always
i've been dealing with "conflict oriented" dreams myself. i was in a fight in one & gave my wife a pretty good whack, tried to shove her out of the bed during one while fighting off a home invasion, and had her arm in a death grip when a wolf was trying to bite me in another one. i don't like my recliner THAT much...:cry:

Latest posts

Latest posts