What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To cook or not to cook...!!!...

nickman

Veteran
The soil I’m going to be amending is Happy Frog ...
these are the three products I’m going to be amending with...
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Do I need to cook the soil at all or would it be ok to just mix it and use it as is with no cooking time.?.

Ratzilla

Veteran
I opine it would depend on how much you put in.
If you were to load your mix up i would give it some blending time.
How much and what a peep adds to his base mix could affect the pH, meals usually takes a mix'es pH down,so some time for the pH to stabilize might be in order.
My experience with happy frog was it was a heavy mix.I did not like it.
I don't remember if it was already amendment but i think it mostly a peat base.
I quickly moved on.
I haven't used it in 10 or so years but i remember it was slow draining and held much water.[heavy]
If it still the same i would be adding perlite and other things like coir to lighten it up but that just me!
RatZ :tiphat::tiphat:

nickman

Veteran
I opine it would depend on how much you put in.
If you were to load your mix up i would give it some blending time.
How much and what a peep adds to his base mix could affect the pH, meals usually takes a mix'es pH down,so some time for the pH to stabilize might be in order.
My experience with happy frog was it was a heavy mix.I did not like it.
I don't remember if it was already amendment but i think it mostly a peat base.
I quickly moved on.
I haven't used it in 10 or so years but i remember it was slow draining and held much water.[heavy]
If it still the same i would be adding perlite and other things like coir to lighten it up but that just me!
RatZ :tiphat::tiphat:
Yes, I was also gonna add in some perlite... I’ve been using Happy Frog for a while now but I usually mix ocean forest with it at a 50/50 ratio... this time I was just gonna use the happy frog ...
Yes...

More than likely you will need to let the soil pH balance for a few days.
Ok, kool... thanx guys... I appreciate the heads up...!!!...

Klompen

If you store it at field capacity(the amount of water it can hold without dripping), it can cook for quite some time and not lose any nutrients. If you want to culture beneficials in it, you should put some sort of mulch over it like forest mulch. It doesn't hurt to grow some clovers on it too. Clover is great for soil.

nickman

Veteran
If you store it at field capacity(the amount of water it can hold without dripping), it can cook for quite some time and not lose any nutrients. If you want to culture beneficials in it, you should put some sort of mulch over it like forest mulch. It doesn't hurt to grow some clovers on it too. Clover is great for soil.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been seeing a lot of these all organic guys doing...!!!... thanks man.