What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to get a even three way cross?

D

Deadphish1965

Does anyone have experience crossing three strains together? I want to cross three hazes together but I'm not sure what the best way to go about this would be. To further complicate things one of the strains is feminized.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

ok i,m not breeder . not even close , but my thoughts would be this ,

you would want to cross the 2 strains together first you want the best traits from ( obviously one will have to be the fem so i hope thats the one you like the most )

grow the offspring out from them , use the 3rd strain to pollinate those offspring .

there,s a lot more too it than that in the choice of selections , put your thinking cap on to the outcome you want . i feel males have less influence then females have in crosses . so choosing your females would be the priority in my eye,s .

sure tony will come along . i,d be interested to know if i,m even close lol .

Last edited:

browntrout

Veteran
You should really know how your strains are gonna breed out (as in what traits are dominant).

For me when I made my BDC (PCK/Durban x Blueberry).

Although they are all very stable strains I knew the PCK and Durban bred true for certain traits based on my experience with them.

Durban Poison IBL - Unique fresh and very pungent smell, Stretch in flowering. Heavy feeder, clear high

Pakistani Chitral Kush (PCK) - Purple/pink phenos, small abudant trichs, clear high.

I knew I would be hunting for blueberry traits so I took different blueberries from multiple breeders in order to infuse the PCK/Durban with some blueberry tastes. I knew this would be the hardest part, but the most important to me (hence why she is 50% BB). I will now ahve to pheno search the F2's for the BB leaning keepers.

Now If I was you and you took two strains and bred them, you could then select through a couple generations in order to lock down the desired traits before moving onto the next outcrossing. Leave the strain you want the most traits from for the final outcrossing.

Hope this helps! Cheers and good luck.

BT

St. Phatty

Just assume you know something and start crossing. As long as you can tell a male, or a male parts on a female, nothing real bad can happen.

If you don't have a dedicated room for pollinated females, they might spread their pollen in an un-controlled manner. But that's not a tragedy.

Once you have 2 or more different crosses, presumably with the Fem strain as the female ... so that means hitting females of the Fem plant with Males of the other 2 Haze strains.

It gives you a chance to watch the males. They could do some really interesting things when they flower, like display visible resin.

D

Deadphish1965

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and cross GTH1, Super Lemon Haze (only comes feminized), and SSH. The second cross will be Dark Shadow Haze, Mango Haze, and either SSSDH or GTH1 again.

D

Deadphish1965

Moxie has a regular seed that's SLH x Goji but I'm not sure if the Goji would be a good addition.

Can anyone think of any other quality hazes with a fruity or citrusy flavor for the second cross?

thejact55

Moxie has a regular seed that's SLH x Goji but I'm not sure if the Goji would be a good addition.

Can anyone think of any other quality hazes with a fruity or citrusy flavor for the second cross?

My 2 cents... if you essentially are making a haze why do all of the crosses have to be a haze. I would look into other sativa varieties that don't necessarily have the "haze" name tagged to it. If you are already having a lemon haze, you can isolate a lemon essence from that line. Jarilla from CBD has a citrus scent (I've heard vanilla as well). Tough sledding on alot of hazy varieties with fruity flavors. They tend to be more spicy/woody ect. I think the best way to find a fruity haze is pop a ton of beans, one out of 50 should have your desired traits. Breeding is a number game, more the better.
You can do as you please, and truely best of luck, but I wouldn't sell your crosses short on just a "haze" variety with some many wonderful sativas out there to choose from. Keep us posted on results :)

D

Deadphish1965

My 2 cents... if you essentially are making a haze why do all of the crosses have to be a haze. I would look into other sativa varieties that don't necessarily have the "haze" name tagged to it. If you are already having a lemon haze, you can isolate a lemon essence from that line. Jarilla from CBD has a citrus scent (I've heard vanilla as well). Tough sledding on alot of hazy varieties with fruity flavors. They tend to be more spicy/woody ect. I think the best way to find a fruity haze is pop a ton of beans, one out of 50 should have your desired traits. Breeding is a number game, more the better.
You can do as you please, and truely best of luck, but I wouldn't sell your crosses short on just a "haze" variety with some many wonderful sativas out there to choose from. Keep us posted on results :)

Thanks for the advice. I'm new, I'm basically just guessing at all of this. From the strains I've tried in the past, I know I like Sativas. Especially like the hazes. I'm grateful for any advice or help I can get from experienced growers or breeders.

thejact55

Look into these breeders for great sativas.. there are others, but a good place to start.
Ace
cannabiogen
the real seed company (unworked pure landrace)
Tropical seeds
Underground collective
Mr nice has a couple
French touch

There are gems to be had. Be careful on the longer flowering sativas. They are touchy to nutrients and soil restriction.

D

Deadphish1965

I've looked at Ace and Mr Nice. I haven't heard of the others. The Mango Haze I was going to use was from Mr Nice. I'll have to look into the others.

growingcrazy

So I had a thought today related to this same question but different..

Take a strain like skunk #1 for example, mexican,colombian and afghani cross.

Where is the better place to start? mex x colo then cross to affy or some other combo? There are only so many choices without breeding within and creating a poly. Which is the best route to take?

D

Deadphish1965

I believe Mr Nice has a Neville's Haze. I was looking at it but I believe GTH1 is mostly Neville's Haze or (Neville's Wreck).

D

Deadphish1965

So I had a thought today related to this same question but different..

Take a strain like skunk #1 for example, mexican,colombian and afghani cross.

Where is the better place to start? mex x colo then cross to affy or some other combo? There are only so many choices without breeding within and creating a poly. Which is the best route to take?

I hear you, I feel without trying all combos you won't truly know.

corners

Look into these breeders for great sativas.. there are others, but a good place to start.
Ace
cannabiogen
the real seed company (unworked pure landrace)
Tropical seeds
Underground collective
Mr nice has a couple
French touch

There are gems to be had. Be careful on the longer flowering sativas. They are touchy to nutrients and soil restriction.

Check out ******s shop also, id say he specializes in them and hes just a stand up breeder.