What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strings Motor - Tesla

mufinman

Hello all, was just reading a thread by Boyd Crowder about the new Tesla battery being sold and its benefits toward less costly energy: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=305719 Thanks Boyd.

Tesla was (he's newer reading for me) from all accounts a very smartly advanced gentleman convinced that all energy should, could and by some accounts can be free. I've just started reading about his 'strings' motor concepts. Nothing here (ICMAG) about him or his 'theories'. Are there any of you that know/use his theories. There is some remarkable stuff written about him. A little push from you technical guys might start a wave.

queequeg152

Veteran
teslas early career was brilliant, his later career was fraught with insane claims that never delivered.

the tesla power wall has nothign to do with tesla the man.

the power wall is simply an expensive(very expensive) battery. its designed to store excess electricity from solar panel generation.

they cost like 10 grand for a 10kwh power pack. very hard to justify unless you are trying to go off grid... or you are buying electricity from an insanely expensive grid.

10kwh would run one 1000w light for 10 hours.

i dont see how this could ever make sense in an indoor grow what so ever. its far more logical to simply grow outdoors.

queequeg152

Veteran
3.5 grand actually. just went to wikipedia... not terrible to be honest. i could see something like this being a great alternative to a generator for small homes.

10kwh cold run a refrigerator, TV, washing machine w/o spin cycle for days and days...

mufinman

teslas early career was brilliant, his later career was fraught with insane claims that never delivered.

the tesla power wall has nothign to do with tesla the man.

the power wall is simply an expensive(very expensive) battery. its designed to store excess electricity from solar panel generation.

they cost like 10 grand for a 10kwh power pack. very hard to justify unless you are trying to go off grid... or you are buying electricity from an insanely expensive grid.

10kwh would run one 1000w light for 10 hours.

i dont see how this could ever make sense in an indoor grow what so ever. its far more logical to simply grow outdoors.

Growing outside is NOT an option where I live. If it were, don't know if id do it that way anyway. I give you/all of you allot of credit for fighting mother natures creatures and elements but I do not want to deal with bugs, mold, cold or heat problems.

and yes, they are $3,500 each not $10K. I'm no math wizard and just pay for electricity but it would seem that a 10Kwh would run a 1K bulb for longer than 10 hours.. I dono though.

A friend that owns a Tesla auto says 2 of them would power his entire home (taking care not to waste electricity) for 2-3 weeks.
again, I dono, just second hand info.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
10 KwH = 1 kw for 10 hours or 10 kw for 1 hour.
That's probably 1 day worth of energy for a very efficient house. I used to use 50 KwH per day, now i'm trying to get that to 10, and it's not easy at all. If you just have a tv and a fridge it may work for one week, but if you have more than that .. not really.
3.5 k $ for 10 kW storage is not much tho, at least not compared to what would cost me to get that 10 kW capacity here.

queequeg152

Veteran
growing outside is more fun imho. just me though. and im not growing anything illegal far as i know so... yea. not really comparable to your situation.

20kwh for 2-3 weeks? maby just running a very small fridge and radio etc. but not a whole house. certainly no AC, washing machine etc.

maby if he has like a 200sqft. super insulated house with propane heat etc, but certainly not your average house.

your average modern-ish house in a moderate climate uses something like 1kwh per hour on average. so this thing might get you through an evening in a regular home, but not much beyond that. i think thats what the whole design is centered on btw, storing solar power to get you through the night.

id seriously consider this thing as an alternative to a generator though... depends on how much the inverter is though. especially for office spaces and apartments.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bugs, mold, and heat problems exist in indoor rooms also.. so you know

queequeg152

Veteran
bugs, mold, and heat problems exist in indoor rooms also.. so you know

clearly. however adressing these issues indoors is trivial in comparison. in terms of labor at least.

overall id say indoor growing is far and away more labor intensive though, owing to more equipment.

depends on what plants obviously, but generally id submit the the above is true.

Latest posts

Latest posts