What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Very very addictive. @Tangwena when you said to look for that sweet smell I am sure you were referring to this. Is the smell is going to get even sweeter after the cure? I am sure Mtoko would approve of this smell lol

They will be drying for a couple of hours on the paper, then I will reseal them and keep them at30°C for a week.

Is a week at 30ºC a good plan?
Sorry for asking every step of the way lol, it is a little bit scary the first time.
As Hombre said yes it will and it will get even more sexy in the coming days and weeks as the cure progresses.
Ask away there are plenty of experienced people on this thread to help you thats what we all share here information and a love of the final product.

You will notice that all cob lovers become helpful to new cob club members its a thing we all share.
When you get high from the finished product you will get a greater understanding of everything in this world and your place in it my friend.
Its truly special especially when chewed in small quantities.
Large doses tend to be overpowering but to each his own in that department ha ha.
Just be patient its so worth the wait.

0x942

Hi there, here we go again in the COB factory !
They are currently drying before going to the 3month+ curing stage !
Aromas are incredible, mixed sweating time/temperature so you'll notice some difference in colors.
Shining diamonds all over the COB when you rotate them under the sun light :alien:

jf5-cob-2-ss.png
jf5-cob-1-ss.png

jf5-cob-3-ss.png

iTarzan

I have finally joined the cob guild. I have read the whole thread. I read the beginning 50 pages many times and kept current from page 250 until now. I am now up to speed on cob making.

I am doing it the way Tangwena does his own cobs. I am starting with the finest flowers I grew this year. I mostly grow well known clones. I used the best looking top buds from the chosen strains. I also will be making large cobs like instructed.
I chose the following strains. GMO, Original Diesel, Cherry Pie and GG #4. Possibly Golden Tiger later on.

I have made 4 cobs so far. Three of them were made with 2 ounces of primo buds and 1 was made with 3 ounces of primo buds. Those ounces were made with buds trimmed for experienced buyers. Except I left a bit more of the super trich covered sugar leaves. I did this because early on Tangwena mentions that the leaves are what cures and ferments when someone ask him about doing a cob for hash. It took more weed to make an ounce because I didn't leave any whole buds. buyers usually like a few 2 or 3 inch buds for bag appeal. However, there is a stick in those buds so I trimmed of every budget of every colas.

2 cobs were made from weed that was dried for 7 days at 50-60 degrees. Slightly crisp outside leaves, spongy and sticky inside with bendable stems. One was made with Cherry Pie and the other was made with Original Diesel. These both turned out real good this year. Cherry Pie is delicious and has nice potency. The Orig Diesel came out fantastic. Super potent and skunk diesel gas nose and taste. If it gets stronger and better flavor it will be crazy special smoke. I put 2 ounces of weed in each cob.

Then I made 2 cobs of GMO, the crystal covered, super sticky, garlic and diesel smelling and tasting child of Chem D and GSC. It came out fantastic as I was able to take it to full maturity because we had a extra long season with plenty of sun all summer long. It is super potent with a garlic and gas punch to the nose and mouth. I used 3 ounces of weed to make each cob because I have a lot of it. One cob was made from weed only dried for 24 hours and the other from weed dried for 72 hours. Both weeds were super, super sticky and moist with the 24 hour being the stickiest and messiest.

I made them by filling up a zip lock sandwich bag and then smashing it down and repeating until I got either 2 ounces or 3 ounces in each bag. Then I kept pressing and rolling it on a marble top coffee table (like a bear pressing on a log to break it open) until I was able to get it to the size of a sausage in the 6 inch wide bag. Then I removed it from the plastic bag and put it on a brown paper from a paper bag and once again rolled it as tight as I could. Then I bound it up with tough, strong twine, really tightening it with each wrap around the cob. The cobs are solid and quite hard. The 3 ounce cobs are a bit rounder but all are the same length.

I then wrapped them in plastic wrap and left them under a dome an blanket on a seedling mat set for 104 degrees. After 12 hours they were soft and malleable. The 2 wetter GMO cobs were very warm hash feeling and quite soft feeling. I will open them up tomorrow morning sometime.

Here are the pics including the typical flowers I used. These were GMO 72 hour flowers.

DSCN3562.jpeg
DSCN3563.jpeg
DSCN3564.jpeg
DSCN3565.jpeg
DSCN3566.jpeg
DSCN3567.jpeg
DSCN3568.jpeg
DSCN3569.jpeg

Last edited:

Taima-da

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
I have finally joined the cob guild. I have read the whole thread. I read the beginning 50 pages many times and kept current from page 250 until now. I am now up to speed on cob making.

I am doing it the way Tangwena does his own cobs. I am starting with the finest flowers I grew this year. I mostly grow well known clones. I used the best looking top buds from the chosen strains. I also will be making large cobs like instructed.
I chose the following strains. GMO, Original Diesel, Cherry Pie and GG #4. Possibly Golden Tiger later on.

I have made 4 cobs so far. Three of them were made with 2 ounces of primo buds and 1 was made with 3 ounces of primo buds. Those ounces were made with buds trimmed for experienced buyers. Except I left a bit more of the super trich covered sugar leaves. I did this because early on Tangwena mentions that the leaves are what cures and ferments when someone ask him about doing a cob for hash. It took more weed to make an ounce because I didn't leave any whole buds. buyers usually like a few 2 or 3 inch buds for bag appeal. However, there is a stick in those buds so I trimmed of every budget of every colas.

2 cobs were made from weed that was dried for 7 days at 50-60 degrees. Slightly crisp outside leaves, spongy and sticky inside with bendable stems. One was made with Cherry Pie and the other was made with Original Diesel. These both turned out real good this year. Cherry Pie is delicious and has nice potency. The Orig Diesel came out fantastic. Super potent and skunk diesel gas nose and taste. If it gets stronger and better flavor it will be crazy special smoke. I put 2 ounces of weed in each cob.

Then I made 2 cobs of GMO, the crystal covered, super sticky, garlic and diesel smelling and tasting child of Chem D and GSC. It came out fantastic as I was able to take it to full maturity because we had a extra long season with plenty of sun all summer long. It is super potent with a garlic and gas punch to the nose and mouth. I used 3 ounces of weed to make each cob because I have a lot of it. One cob was made from weed only dried for 24 hours and the other from weed dried for 72 hours. Both weeds were super, super sticky and moist with the 24 hour being the stickiest and messiest.

I made them by filling up a zip lock sandwich bag and then smashing it down and repeating until I got either 2 ounces or 3 ounces in each bag. Then I kept pressing and rolling it on a marble top coffee table (like a bear pressing on a log to break it open) until I was able to get it to the size of a sausage in the 6 inch wide bag. Then I removed it from the plastic bag and put it on a brown paper from a paper bag and once again rolled it as tight as I could. Then I bound it up with tough, strong twine, really tightening it with each wrap around the cob. The cobs are solid and quite hard. The 3 ounce cobs are a bit rounder but all are the same length.

I then wrapped them in plastic wrap and left them under a dome an blanket on a seedling mat set for 104 degrees. After 12 hours they were soft and malleable. The 2 wetter GMO cobs were very warm hash feeling and quite soft feeling. I will open them up tomorrow morning sometime.

Here are the pics including the typical flowers I used. These were GMO 72 hour flowers.

Looks and sounds good.

I like good solid cobs.

You've not used a vacuum sealer?

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi there, here we go again in the COB factory !
They are currently drying before going to the 3month+ curing stage !
Aromas are incredible, mixed sweating time/temperature so you'll notice some difference in colors.
Shining diamonds all over the COB when you rotate them under the sun light :alien:

View attachment 18775844 View attachment 18775843
View attachment 18775845
WOW! beautiful work there man your def elevated to brotherhood level with that lot, absolutely beautiful work man.
They look so appealing in every department words fail me.
The members here on IC are world leaders in this art I have not seen better anywhere else. It humbles me to be a member on this thread on this forum you guys rock all of you.

Tangwena

Veteran

View attachment 18775868 View attachment 18775869 View attachment 18775870 View attachment 18775871 View attachment 18775872 View attachment 18775873 View attachment 18775874 View attachment 18775875
Lovely buds and nice fat cobs man be very careful if your not vacuum sealing them it would be a shame to get mold in them.
It is possible to do it without vacuum sealing but they need to dry as they cure or you get mold so if they are in a warm dry place with low humidity you should be ok.

0x942

WOW! beautiful work there man your def elevated to brotherhood level with that lot, absolutely beautiful work man.
They look so appealing in every department words fail me.
The members here on IC are world leaders in this art I have not seen better anywhere else. It humbles me to be a member on this thread on this forum you guys rock all of you.
:oops:
thanks, but all props to the author, you ! And other contributors in this thread ! 🙏

This thread is gold and must be saved for the next century 🙃

sneezydog

@iTarzan, I would check those cobs daily, especially anything dried for 24 hours only. At least for a bit. Sometimes a check and a dry out is really needed to avoid the rotten lettuce smells. If you smell any of this kind of smell dry it a decent bit before retying as the insides hold moisture a long time. Sometimes i just smell the cob through the bound wrapper and decide if it needs untying...
I have done them moist and without vacc and like them, they ferment well and turn black, but for me i try to stay one step ahead of the vegetable rot smell. It will dry out later and be ok if this happens, though. Good on you to start this obsession.
I find the non vacc seal is almost more magical in not needing technology.
Happy to see your results!

iTarzan

I will keep a close eye. The ones I am opening today after 104 degrees I will let dry for a few hours. Then rewrapped and put in vac bags. After 7 days in warm area I will open and dry and rewrap and store at room temp for a few months but I will be checking for mold. If it happens inside what can you do?
I was thinking that at some point they could just age in their paper wrappers. Tangwena can you eventually leave them in the paper wrappers or is it best to unwrap and store in a jar? It would be kind of cool to break them out at a party still wrapped in paper and tied with string. Or give them as presents that way.

Thoughts...

Taima-da

I will keep a close eye. The ones I am opening today after 104 degrees I will let dry for a few hours. Then rewrapped and put in vac bags. After 7 days in warm area I will open and dry and rewrap and store at room temp for a few months but I will be checking for mold. If it happens inside what can you do?
I was thinking that at some point they could just age in their paper wrappers. Tangwena can you eventually leave them in the paper wrappers or is it best to unwrap and store in a jar? It would be kind of cool to break them out at a party still wrapped in paper and tied with string. Or give them as presents that way.

Thoughts...
They will get to the point of being able to be kept in the wraps only, however for long term I still keep em in a vac sealed bag to maintain the flavour and stop them getting too dry. That's not too say that I don't have a range of cobs or chunks thereof open at any one time, makes for easy access!
and if you feel they are losing their terpy-ness you can still seal them up again at any time.
Your wraps look awesome btw

Last edited: