What's new

Swamp Grows

T

The_Core

Growing in wet swampy areas. Or areas with a very high water table.

2 questions

Does the water effect your plants when it is absorbed into your potting soil?

Do you have problems with root rot, do your roots grow into the wet or mucky ground and start to rot?

I want to grow bottomless containers in a swampy area to reduce watering but I am afraid the water will run the soils PH and kill my plants. Also afraid the completely saturated ground will rot the roots of my plant when they reach it. Let me know what your experience has taught you about this. Thanks!

Swamp tubes is what you want to look for.

You'll want a container that is at least 18" tall to provide a dry area for roots to be in and then the mains will shoot down to the water/muck like a straw to drink when it needs to.

T

The_Core

Swamp tubes is what you want to look for.

You'll want a container that is at least 18" tall to provide a dry area for roots to be in and then the mains will shoot down to the water/muck like a straw to drink when it needs to.

Thanks for replying GEMiNi. I have 30 liter grow bags, You have seen them in my GG thread on here. They are 18 inches tall. Just wondering if I will start to have PH issues once the roots hit the mucky ground and water. And will any of the roots begin to rot at the bottom from the constantly wet ground?

T

The_Core

Tested the swamp water and the nearby lake water

Swampy water around my plants was 6.2

Lake water was 6.9-7.3

I am going to start watering with the lake water. My bio Bizz nutrients will drop the PH down anyway.

dannykarey

I'm doing the swamp thing for the first time and this is what Ive come up with.....

I'm using little "platforms" of wood and sheets of Styrofoam for large tote's (big plastic storage bin) to sit on. The totes have holes drilled into the bottom for drainage, and sit on bricks. I'll fill the totes with promix, manure, compost and use them like a raised bed. I'm gonna put a couple plants in each tote, should be lots of root space.

I think the water in the swamp is fine to use for watering but I really like yer idea of testing out the water on yer plants to see how they respond......I think I'm gonna do the same, great idea man. I don't want my roots sitting in it because they will rot. They need oxygen and there isn't enough dissolved oxygen in the swamp water. So what I'm thinking is a wick system for each tote. I'll drill holes in the platforms to line up with the holes in the tote and put several wicks through them into the swamp water underneath. I dunno, that's what Ive come up with.

Swamp tubes are a really good idea, seems like peeps have a lot of success with them.

keep up the good work

Danny

T

The_Core

Thanks dannykarey!

We can help each other out with this swamp grow. I am not running bottomless bags next year. I will drill holes in 100 liter containers and set them on top of dead branches and trees.

If I do swamp tubes that will be a different story.

dannykarey

Sounds good buddy.......Im pretty new to the swamp thing so I could use all the help I can get.

Like the 100 litre container idea, and raising it on twigs and branches is cool too, very easy to find those laying around and it'll keep the containers off of the water.

Going out today to grab some water samples and I'll try using it to water my little babies and see how they respond......again great idea man!!

Im going to throw my baby's in pots at first, and I'll use the totes to put the pots in for some added protection while there small still. I can lay chicken wire across the tops of the totes and use it to keep out deer and other critters. Then when they're bigger, Im going to fill the totes with medium and plant directly into the totes.

Then I'll make a chicken wire fence around the totes for those damn deer....got alot of deer in the area so Im going to use the fence as well as water bottles filled with cloth with little holes drilled all around the bottle..........Then I'll fill the bottles with urine, this should make the smell last a lot longer as it will be slowly released through the cloth and the holes in the bottle. I'll hang these around my plants.....It should work better than just urinating around the area, smell doesn't last long and as soon as it rains you've got to re-apply.

.....and if my urine thing doesn't work and the fence doesn't deter those furry bastards Im going to get coyote urine :)

That's what I'm thinking so far..........what are yer plans for keeping the animals away bro?

Danny

Growcephus

Veteran
Look into chinampas construction.

Basically, the Aztecs built floating grow areas in the swampy land they inhabited, and were very successful. The plots were called "chinampas" and consisted of a woven framework of wood anchored / staked into the bottom of the swampy area, and then they would fill the wooden frame with soil and such for planting.

I imagine one could do the same thing using modern materials.

Good luck, regardless.

T

The_Core

Sounds good buddy.......Im pretty new to the swamp thing so I could use all the help I can get.

Like the 100 litre container idea, and raising it on twigs and branches is cool too, very easy to find those laying around and it'll keep the containers off of the water.

Going out today to grab some water samples and I'll try using it to water my little babies and see how they respond......again great idea man!!

Im going to throw my baby's in pots at first, and I'll use the totes to put the pots in for some added protection while there small still. I can lay chicken wire across the tops of the totes and use it to keep out deer and other critters. Then when they're bigger, Im going to fill the totes with medium and plant directly into the totes.

Then I'll make a chicken wire fence around the totes for those damn deer....got alot of deer in the area so Im going to use the fence as well as water bottles filled with cloth with little holes drilled all around the bottle..........Then I'll fill the bottles with urine, this should make the smell last a lot longer as it will be slowly released through the cloth and the holes in the bottle. I'll hang these around my plants.....It should work better than just urinating around the area, smell doesn't last long and as soon as it rains you've got to re-apply.

.....and if my urine thing doesn't work and the fence doesn't deter those furry bastards Im going to get coyote urine :)

That's what I'm thinking so far..........what are yer plans for keeping the animals away bro?

Danny

Hey Danny,

You have some great ideas and strategies that I like!

I am going to purchase more of these 100 liter tubs

picture.php

And I will drill holes and fill with 50/50 potting soil and manure.

I will stack them onto large sticks, branches, small trees to bring them out of the bit of standing water.

I will then take poultry fencing and build a cage like this.

picture.php

This should keep the plant safe from everything for 1-2 months, depending on how fast the plant grows. I will also consider wrapping insects netting over the poultry fencing. I will see I dont want to overkill the project.

I currently use Bio Bizz organic nutrients and they are safe for every watering once the plant is established. They said dont pH adjust water with organic nutrients the natural process the soil takes with the organic nutrients will get upsetted with PH adjusting the water. So I did the water samples mainly because this year I am using bottomless bags and my soil is soaking up all the standing water in the swampy area. I am tired of carrying my water from home in 1.5 liter bottles so with the lake close by I will just start pulling 25 liters in my jug and mixing with bio bizz and watering.

I considered using a 4 foot fence and running a fence around all of my plants next year instead of making cages for each plant, but I think a fence would be too much work and could possibly draw too much attention.

T

The_Core

Look into chinampas construction.

Basically, the Aztecs built floating grow areas in the swampy land they inhabited, and were very successful. The plots were called "chinampas" and consisted of a woven framework of wood anchored / staked into the bottom of the swampy area, and then they would fill the wooden frame with soil and such for planting.

I imagine one could do the same thing using modern materials.

Good luck, regardless.

Growcephus, I will check out the chinampas. Thanks alot for that information. That might be a nice alternative to swamp tubes if I can design one without drawing too much attention. Maybe build it after the lake freezes and when it thaws out it will already be in place!

dannykarey

Hey buddy, these are the rubbermaid totes Im using:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/...e=Storage&SubcatId=Roughneck&Prod_ID=RP091414

These are the ones Ive been trying to find in stores in my area but haven't been able to:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/...aspx?SubCatId=DecorativeTotes&CatName=Storage

^^^These would be perfect with some holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, Im gonna try and source some for next year.

Man, those cages of yours are really nicely done........Man, Im gonna have to bring my "A" game for sure. Yours should allow the plants to get to a very decent size before having to adjust the cages. I was thinking something similar for my totes.

For hiding my totes, I was gonna pile up dead branches and debris from the surrounding area, up around the sides to try and camo my totes as much as possible.

What strains are you running this season? Im running Kannabia's Thai Fantasy max auto and White Domina max auto which are supposed to be done flowering in 90-100 days (we'll see). DNA genetics 60 day wonder, and 60 day lemon. Greenpath Purple ryder F2's (for pollen source for auto's, first time with auto's). Chimera's Mountain jam #2 and JackPine. Mr nice Medicine man. Thats the plan so far.

Danny

C

caseyjones123

I have heard of some folks in south Florida in the Everglades would use floating buckets, a bouy of sort, and anchored to the ground. The 2-3 mph current provides enough oxigen and nutrients for healthy growth. Like a a river but much slower moving water. Aquaponics at its finest.

T

The_Core

Hey buddy, these are the rubbermaid totes Im using:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/...e=Storage&SubcatId=Roughneck&Prod_ID=RP091414

These are the ones Ive been trying to find in stores in my area but haven't been able to:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/...aspx?SubCatId=DecorativeTotes&CatName=Storage

^^^These would be perfect with some holes drilled in the bottom for drainage, Im gonna try and source some for next year.

Man, those cages of yours are really nicely done........Man, Im gonna have to bring my "A" game for sure. Yours should allow the plants to get to a very decent size before having to adjust the cages. I was thinking something similar for my totes.

For hiding my totes, I was gonna pile up dead branches and debris from the surrounding area, up around the sides to try and camo my totes as much as possible.

What strains are you running this season? Im running Kannabia's Thai Fantasy max auto and White Domina max auto which are supposed to be done flowering in 90-100 days (we'll see). DNA genetics 60 day wonder, and 60 day lemon. Greenpath Purple ryder F2's (for pollen source for auto's, first time with auto's). Chimera's Mountain jam #2 and JackPine. Mr nice Medicine man. Thats the plan so far.

Danny

That second link you posted with the camo tote is just great. I think that is a great idea. Normally its not good to use short wide containers in swamps but since we are both going to raise up our container so its not in the water then its not a bad idea at all. Actually the tote is a better idea, larger surface area to collect the rain.

I am not running any cages this year. None at all. I have not had any deer or rabbits eat my plants. Only some insects. So you know maybe next year i wont run cages either. Who knows. I have not decided.

I am running

HFH WILD 3
HFH WILD SUPER07
HFH MONK
HFH SE 12
Royal Dane
Royal Nepal

I had more strains but one strain was old seedstock and I ran out of room so I had to downsize

I did not run these strains this year.

Guerilla Gold
Thyphoon
Leb27 x Leda uno

Maybe next year...

T

The_Core

I have heard of some folks in south Florida in the Everglades would use floating buckets, a bouy of sort, and anchored to the ground. The 2-3 mph current provides enough oxigen and nutrients for healthy growth. Like a a river but much slower moving water. Aquaponics at its finest.

I will take a look. I am not trying to grow directly in the swamp more like the wet soggy ground maybe a little bit of standing water. But not so much in the actual water. But I might try it next year if my current spot is compromised to rippers, police or animals.

Add ½ cup d.lime or oyster shell per cu.ft. to help w pH swings but honestly you won't have root rot issues unless its stagnant water which reeks and kills most plants.

T

The_Core

Add ½ cup d.lime or oyster shell per cu.ft. to help w pH swings but honestly you won't have root rot issues unless its stagnant water which reeks and kills most plants.

Thanks GEMiNi!

I will add the lime but the potting soil already comes with lime. But I can add more!

The water does stand for a couple days until the sun dries most of the surface water and then when it rains it is back. I think that the water is not an issue at the moment.

When my foot sinks down into the mucky ground it does stink like shit so thats probably not good but with ground that stays fully saturated with water I guess thats probably normal.

Next year its 100 liter tubs on top of sticks. I will water once a week If I have to but I wont run bottomless next year.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I wrap 20 lb mono fishing line around the perimeter of my plot like a spider web, so the deer cant get them.
I'm also putting 2' black plastic mesh fencing around each plant to protect from racoons digging in the soil, and rabbits.
I need to get something for slugs. Any suggestions?
Im growing in the wetlands myself. Its a marshy place. Not quite a swamp yet.

dannykarey

Nice ideas OGDW......really like the fishing line idea. A lot more manageable than chicken wire.

For slugs I open a can of beer and set one beside each plant, it's a pretty crude method but it works. I dig a little hole for the can to sit in, so just the top of the can is exposed.......works like a charm, think it's the yeast or something there attracted to. You could also buy copper wire and make a ring to fit around the main stem of yer plant, haven't tried this method yet but Ive heard a lot of good things.

Good luck this season bro

Danny

T

The_Core

I wrap 20 lb mono fishing line around the perimeter of my plot like a spider web, so the deer cant get them.
I'm also putting 2' black plastic mesh fencing around each plant to protect from racoons digging in the soil, and rabbits.
I need to get something for slugs. Any suggestions?
Im growing in the wetlands myself. Its a marshy place. Not quite a swamp yet.

I like your fishing line idea and your black mesh fencing.

For slugs and snails i use poison. Its not the most environmentally friendly but I have not lost one plant yet to snails or slugs. I find them dead next to my plants after it ate the blue poison.

Latest posts

Latest posts