What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oakland PD Kills Over Weed

vta

Veteran
Dude Killed Over Weed and Scale. Didn’t have to die.
Posted by Mickey Martin on November 19th, 2010

So here is the essence of the Prop. 19 debate in real life. Here is a guy, on parole, who ran from the cops because he had weed on him. As he went to ditch the weed he was shot and KILLED by OPD. We all have to ask ourselves, “If Prop. 19 had passed would this guy still be alive? He had less than an ounce on him, so chances are had 19 passed he would have not been running because he would have no longer been a criminal. The fact that we still hold people to be criminals for marijuana in our society means that all over the country things like this happen because of prohibition. Can we, as a society, allow for more senseless murders and blood to be spilled in the street because a person is fleeing from cops because they have herb on them? No. We cannot. Those who voted against 19 should think critically about this situation and think about whether their vote cost Derrick Jones his life. Maybe you could explain to his sister and family why this happened.

“My brother is gone over the fact that he had weed,” the victim’s sister Tonya Saheli said. “And they said they didn’t want to reveal what it was because it would be embarrassing to my family? Are you serious. It just magnifies my sentiments on the fact that they should not be given a pass. The fact that it was an electronic scale, it just really hurts.”

Police: Oakland man killed by officers was unarmed

The Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. — A 37-year-old parolee was carrying a small, silver scale – not a weapon – when Oakland officers fatally shot him during a foot chase this week, police said Friday.

Police said two officers chasing Derrick Jones on Monday night believed he had a weapon when he appeared to be reaching toward his waistband for a shiny metal object that turned out to be an electronic scale less than 1-inch thick. One officer saw the object in Jones’ hand before police opened fire, authorities said.

Jones’ death has prompted accusations of excessive force, with his friends and family saying the shooting was unjustified.

The shooting came just days after the sentencing of former transit police officer Johannes Mehserle, who fatally shot another unarmed man on an Oakland train platform on New Year’s Day 2009.

Mehserle’s two-year sentence for involuntary manslaughter sparked protests by supporters of the victim, Oscar Grant, saying the punishment was too light.

On Thursday, about 100 demonstrators for Jones and Grant marched from a barber shop Jones’ owned to the same train station where Grant was killed, shutting it down to passengers for an hour.

A smaller protest with dozens of demonstrators was held Friday afternoon.

Officer Jeffrey Thomason, a police spokesman, said Friday that Jones was also carrying marijuana in a glass jar inside a pocket when he was shot.

The officers had been responding to an apparent domestic dispute between Jones and a woman near the barber shop he owned in east Oakland.

The shooting remains under investigation. The officers, whose names have not been released, have been placed on standard paid leave.

Jones was on parole for a prior gun possession conviction.

John Burris, an attorney for Jones’ family, said Friday that he is surprised and suspicious that it took so long for the police to release the information.

“All I know is that Mr. Jones did not point any item at the police, did not put his hands in his waistband and he had no weapon,” Burris said. “And the fact that he had marijuana, so what? None of that justifies being shot and killed.”

I guess the guy wasn't aware that the governer decriminalized marijuana in september, no reason to run if it was under an oz. Maybe having the scale on him, he was afraid of being charged with trafficking. Who knows, it's bullshit to blame the failed proposition.

opt1c

Veteran
doesn't take place until the first of jan... regardless... cops are in a shoot first ask questions later mode nowadays :( sucks for everyone

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
dude was on parole. weed in your possession while on parole = lock up....

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
and prop 19 passing would have been the beginning of the end of stuff like this...but at least one can still make money...thats more important

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
i hate hearing about shit like this. the cops are at fault, but its hard not to see their side. the dood was on parole for prior gun charges. running from the cops. and reaches for something out his pocket as hes running. for anyone who hasnt been in a situation that could possibly end up with you getting shot and killed. its a hard thing to explain, when put in danger or at least when your mind thinks your in danger, your primal instinct comes out. i feel for the family and friends but i probably would have done the same thing. you also have to remember it IS oakland. that town is a fucking shithole filled with alot of scumfuck assholes. like i said. its a shitty situation all around. mj should be legal. nobody should be in jail for mj regardless of probation or parole. its just fucking weed. jesus christ. why isnt this shit legal yet...?

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dude this is the second time the cops have straight up murdered an innocent person in the last year, Oakland is gonna fucking riot, when they let those cops off. it's almost guaranteed in that city.

Faraway

If 19 passed he would still be dead I think unless the guy thought the law was in effect. The law would not have been in effect till Jan. It's a sad situation.

jd4083

Veteran
dude this is the second time the cops have straight up murdered an innocent person in the last year, Oakland is gonna fucking riot, when they let those cops off. it's almost guaranteed in that city.

for what it's worth, I respect you a lot hash zeppelin, learned much from ya on these forums just like a lot of other folks here. but I have to say that this sort of attitude is just petulant and childish and really doesn't help anyone

I agree with BHT ^^, the circumstances as they were reported scream "justified shooting" to me (and I would think just about anyone who is willing to objectively look at the situation rather than constantly beating the "FUCK THE POLICE" war drum). Does it suck, fuck yeah, but what would YOU have done if you were the cop in that situation? And don't give me the "I wouldn't be a fascist pig cop in the first place" or the "I'd have let him go since it was just weed," be real here.

I'll come right out and say it -- if I'm a cop in Oakland and somebody who is being chased decides to pull out something shiny, I'ma shoot the sumbitch. Doesn't make a lot of sense not to in that situation and I'm really curious to hear any legitimate arguments to the contrary...

Don't' Get me Wrong

Don't' Get me Wrong

I'm not sticking up for the killer cop. My heart goes out to this man's family and friends. The killer cop took this man's life for no reason.

But: Anybody who runs from a cop is taking his life into his own hands.

It's like crossing against the light. Sure you can do it, but should you?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
So here is the essence of the Prop. 19 debate in real life. Here is a guy, on parole, who ran from the cops because he had weed on him. As he went to ditch the weed he was shot and KILLED by OPD. We all have to ask ourselves, “If Prop. 19 had passed would this guy still be alive? He had less than an ounce on him, so chances are had 19 passed he would have not been running because he would have no longer been a criminal. The fact that we still hold people to be criminals for marijuana in our society means that all over the country things like this happen because of prohibition. Can we, as a society, allow for more senseless murders and blood to be spilled in the street because a person is fleeing from cops because they have herb on them? No. We cannot. Those who voted against 19 should think critically about this situation and think about whether their vote cost Derrick Jones his life. Maybe you could explain to his sister and family why this happened

If you pull something shiny out of your belt while running from police you may or may not get shot.

If you run from police you may or may not get shot.

If you are in front of the police on the ground with your hands over your head you may or may not get shot.

It was obviously the 19 voters that had control over this man's life and you let him down... you let his family down... you let us all down.

Bullshit.

:jerkit:

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
Prop 19 can be debated good or bad for many reasons, but I'm still pissed that one plant can send you to jail , and you have to jump through the hoops of the Med Card/Doctor/Dispensary system that bleeds you yearly for money anyway.

The real crime I would like to see laws for, are cops that become judge, jury, and executioner based on "suspicion" of a weapon. All cops that kill based on "suspicion" of a weapon should be prosecuted and jailed at the very least when no weapon is found. Non of this "I thought he had a weapon" bullshit, and a slap on the wrist. That is such a lame excuse to take a life when there are other methods and tactics besides lethal force available these days.

karmical

what I don't understand is why focus your anger on people and property that have nothing to do with anything?

with the first jackoff shot by a Bartcop, If they really wanted to protest, or fuck it just tear up something why not meet across the street from the Main Bart Office that right downtown, even with a park right across the street from it, and then do whatever they feel they need to do, then let bart pick up the tab, but they're not really protesting just using the situation to do random stupid shit, which is cool, but just stop bitching when you run away, or resist to the point where the cops can fully justify taking it up a notch.

with this idiot, 37yo should really know better, so what they violate his ass and he has to lay down for a bit, so what, that's the price you pay for being stupid, but you're still around not worth putting your life at risk behind some stupid trigger happy cop that's just looking for a reason, any reason.

But just like with the Bart Office, last time I checked OPD has a big Building right downtown with a park right up the way to gather in and march and riot and do whatever they see fit to do, but that would take more heart than any of these punks will ever have.

Oakland doesn't have the extra $$$ to keep wasting on footing the bill for all this bullshit. I wish there was a way for me to be able to set up an additional force of Oakland residents that are fed up with this wannabe protesters, I'd like nothing better than to take out all my frustrations on them, with extreme prejudice...

and this has absolutely nothing to do with 19-

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Crazy, seems like the last time this happened there it was not long ago.

Dude was on probation for a gun crime though (IMO the only gun crime is using one in a murder/crime) so they were probably prone to seeing what they feared/suspected... Weather the one cop actually saw ANYTHING or not.