What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Thoughts on the GrowLab Tents...

jawnroot

When I was designing my latest grow, I knew I didn't feel like building a traditional cab. The tents seemed like the ideal choice, as they looked easy to put up/take down, are light weight, unobtrusive, and perhaps most importantly, they're not a permanent or semi-permanent construction.

There were, however, some issues that came up in my initial research. Many complaints of faulty zippers, tears in the material, light leaks, etc.

Despite all this, I bit the bullet and purchased a GrowLab GL-60, as the positives outweighed the negatives (in my mind). After using it for several months now, here's what I think...

Pros:
  • Ease of setup and take-down. This is probably the biggest selling point for me. Including lights, fans, and all equipment, I can assemble and disassemble my tent in 30-45 minutes at a leisurely pace. If I was really pressed, I could probably tear the whole thing down in ten minutes.
  • Ease of storage. I can fit my entire tent (broken down) and all major equipment in a 55 gallon Rubbermaid tub, which doesn't take up much space.
  • Clean install. The tent looks nice, the ports, light hanging, filter hanging, etc, are all well laid out. Nothing about it is "ghetto rigged."
  • Rugged. At least as far as the GrowLabs are concerned, the zippers are solid, and the materials are tough enough to avoid reasonable abuse. It won't withstand a direct knife stab, but if you treat it well, I doubt there would be any issue with structural/material failure.
  • Cost effective. I paid somewhere around $130ish for the GL-60, which is roughly on par with what it would cost me in materials to build up my own cab. That said, when you factor in the time, labor, and pain in the ass factor of building your own, the tent is a clear winner in this regard.
Cons:
  • Intakes aren't ideal. In my eyes, the biggest drawback are the intakes. The passive window flaps on the bottom are anything but lightproof (when open), and in my mind shouldn't be there at all. The duct ports are fine, but you pretty much have to use active intake with a damper or filter to get the right pressure with light proofing (trust me, I tried everything before buying another fan).
  • Pressure sensitive. As might be obvious, the tents really require you to dial in the pressure. Again, with the way the intakes are setup, you pretty much have to use an active intake. Using active intake is probably a good thing anyway, but I still wish the tents were a bit more flexible in this regard. Without active intake, and just using the ports with a filter or some other light blocking material, the negative pressure is too much. The walls suck in too far, cutting into grow space and putting a strain on the fabric.
  • Not 100% air tight. As I found, the tents aren't 100% air tight. Thus, you have to run at a slight negative pressure. Not too far into the negative, or you'll get the problems highlighted above. But then again, not positive, or you'll be blowing weed stink out of the gaps. It pretty much requires you to run a speed controller on at least one of the fans to get it dialed in. Tents are probably not the best idea if you plan to run CO2 (in my opinion).
  • Not 100% light tight. This isn't really that big of an issue, and it's easy to work around, but worth mentioning. There are a few pinholes in the velcro seams/stiching, and the front zipper has a small gap at the very top and bottom. There are fabric flaps inside that cover these gaps for the most part, but something still needs to be done about them. My solution was to tape up the pinholes with duct (there weren't that many), and to drape a doubled-up sheet over the front of the tent, acting almost like a second door. At the end of the day, none of these light leaks would have amounted to anything (most likely), unless the tent was stored in direct sunlight...but better safe than sorry.

Summary:

Even with some notable negatives, I'm still happy I got the tent, and will continue to use it. The issues are easy to work around, and the benefits of running a GrowLab--especially for the personal grower--make it all worth while.

D

dunkybones

I have two 2x4 hydrohuts, they're pretty much the same thing as a Growlab. One has a blown zipper, the other doesn't. What I found is that you need to pull out on the zipper slightly when you use it. If you press in, as is natural, the zipper head binds on the piping, especially in the corners, and once it takes a bite, well, you're on the road to ruin.

jawnroot

I have two 2x4 hydrohuts, they're pretty much the same thing as a Growlab. One has a blown zipper, the other doesn't. What I found is that you need to pull out on the zipper slightly when you use it. If you press in, as is natural, the zipper head binds on the piping, especially in the corners, and once it takes a bite, well, you're on the road to ruin.

I saw the hydrohuts deployed in a local shop. One of the main reasons I went with GrowLab is because the GL zippers are so robust. I really can't imagine them failing, unless one pulls on them with significant force.

jawnroot

BTW, I think one of Growlab's claims to fame/marketing gimmicks is that their zippers were designed from the ground up to be the best. I'm not a GL "fanboy" or anything, but the ones on mine were well engineered.

R

rocky5

i hear you on the grow space being cut down with the negative pressure
so what i did is used extra poles where the tent concaves in,i used a 2m
curtain poles which cost £10 and you take it out of its self so you get 2
poles for the price of one.
might be a handy tip for people.

i also use them for hanging the carbon filter aswell.

jawnroot

I floated the idea of added extra structural support, but the stress on the fabric is still there, and you're running the plants at a lower atmospheric pressure than they're accustomed too. Plus, the exhaust fan is working overtime under that kind of load.

Indeed, I think it's almost a good thing the tent is so sensitive to pressure, as it got me to dial in my intake/exhaust.

jjblunt

I think you just do not have enough intakes on your tent. I own a Growlab tent. The GL80. With tents I would not use a active intake. Why would you want to? The point is to have negative pressure, so no smell leaks and you always have airflow going from the bottom of your tent, to the top.

I have always modded my tents intakes and it works great with no active intake fan. I actually use aluminum duct tape and tape up the window vents, the screen on them is too big and doesnt really provide much air filtration.

I went to homedepot and bought some of these "quick disconnect dryer connecters", its basically two 4" flanges. I have a total of (3) 4" intakes at the bottom. The flange allows me to put some panty hose on it and provide intake air filtration, as well as attach a small piece of ducting aimed down at the ground, to help make it light proof. Just trace the 4" flange onto your tent and use some scissors to cut it, simple.

When the fan is one, the tent sucks in slightly, so you know you have negative pressure. Since yours sucks in too much, you probably are lacking enough intakes

jawnroot

jjblunt: By the way you describe things, I'm going to wager you're not 100% light proof, nor are you operating at ideal pressure...

Could I have finagled things so the tent would work with the stock intakes? Yeah, sure, probably. Would I want to? No.

Thing is, the air ports are located all around the tent, some of them directly below the filter mounting location. The result of this is that some ports (i.e. the ones closest to the filter) would be extremely biased, while the ones farther away would contribute little to air flow. The practical result of this is that the tent will have preferential air channels, and will not get ideal circulation.

I agree with you, you do want to run at a slight negative pressure. Thing is, with these tents and the powerful fans we're using, it's all but assured we're going to be running too much negative pressure, unless we get an active intake going.

Most experienced growers recommend active intake to dial in pressure and airflow anyway. After now using active intake for the first time, I like the control it affords. I also appreciate the simplicity.

Of course, everyone is welcome to run their tent however they see fit. I just found after a bunch of experimentation that everything short of active intake was unacceptable--for me. Your mileage may vary.

jjblunt

My tent IS 100% light proof, I have never had a hermie or a bean at all. Making the intakes light proof is easy, and taping up the built in flaps makes it IMO even more light proof than the tent as it came from the manufacturer. Also, you can put your filter in the middle of the tent if you are that concerned about air channels, or add a circulation fan.

I agree that with too much negative pressure, it can be negatively affected. What I was suggesting is instead of adding an active intake, just increase your amount of intakes, therefore reducing negative pressure. I don't like active intakes because its another noisy fan.

Everyone is entitled to run it how they please, grow on!

jawnroot

Indeed. But with the way sound works, two fans of roughly similar size/noise output won't increase racket by double, but only by a marginal amount. After covering my second fan with a towel, I can detect no difference in noise output with one compared to two.

I'm not trying to be a nit or anything, and everybody is entitled to run the tent as they wish (it's their purchase, and their grow). It's just that after experimenting with my tent, I found no adequate way to use passive intakes without running into light leak problems, negative pressure, and/or preferential air channels. With these tents, I cannot imagine an adequately light proofed intake that does not lower pressure to unacceptable levels, regardless of how many of them there are.

As mentioned, most people recommend running active intake anyway. But, to each his own.

IKILL3RI

I just bought a GL120 and let me tell you that the zippers aren't light proof but you could use some Silver tape to tape the little flaps on the zippers inside the tent. :D but Overall I'm happy with my Grow Lab 120.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best grow tents made, they are very well made. Zippers are ideal. :)

They have this black a/c vent filter material at home depot they sell for window air conditioners you can cut the pieces into rectangles and tape one or two of them over the intake screen windows on the inside of the tents at the bottom to still let air in for intake but be much more light-tight.

Run a 6" Vortex fan on a speed controller to get your pressure dialed in way easier as you can instantly adjust the air flow which helps with noise issues as well! ;)

jjblunt

I guess I forgot to mention that, i am running my 6" vortex on a variac controller. I have it dialed pretty far down, I get enough airflow and its pretty freakin quiet. If you run your fan, even a 4" on full blast it would definitely be too much for the tent, which makes sense why you added an intake. Are you using any kind of controller for your exhaust fan?

gingerale

Veteran
hey guys im running the big tent, the GL290 9.5'x9.5'. have two fans, vortex 8" centrifugal, one inlet and one outlet. airflow is perfect with this setup. i have run it with passive intakes and only exhaust fan and that works fine too. this big tent is $900 which i feel is high if i needed more than one or two, but for my purposes it has been well worth the money. i was able to set it up by myself inside a room not much larger than the tent itself, so the ease of setup is definitely there. as others have said the zippers are top notch on these tents, never had the first problem with one jamming etc.

jawnroot

I'm running speed control on the intake, but the exhaust is going 100%. I wanted that kind of air movement to help keep temps as low as possible.

best thing about the growlab and the new feature imo is the clear window... very nice. i can walk my plants without opening up the tent