What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mexican ambassador: US should take marijuana legalization seriously

IKILL3RI

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Mexican ambassador: US should take marijuana legalization seriously

[/FONT]Mexican Ambassador Arturo Sarukhan joined CBS' Bob Schieffer on Face the Nation today to talk about the violence on Mexico's border resulting from the drug trade. Among other things, the senior diplomat told Schieffer that the U.S. should take the debate over marijuana legalization seriously.

"Those that suggest that some of these measures need to be looked at understand the dynamics of the drug trade; you have to bring demand down and one way to do it is to move in that direction [towards legalization]...There are many others who believe that doing this will just fan the flames," Sarukhan told Schieffer.

Some authorities close to the border violence are beginning to advocate for a legalization scenario. At the end of February, Terry Goddard, Arizona's Attorney General, said that while he's not in favor of legalizing marijuana, he thinks it should be debated as a way of curbing violence in the increasingly deadly clashes between Mexico's gangs. In addition, three former presidents of Latin America - Former Colombian President Cesar Gaviria, former Brazilian President Fernando Henrique Cardoso, and former Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo - have all urged the United States and Latin American governments to move away from jailing drug users, to debate the legalization of marijuana, and to place more emphasis on the treatment of addicts.

"This is a debate that needs to be taken seriously, that we have to engage in on both sides of the border: both in producing, in trafficking, and in consumption countries," he said of the marijuana legalization debate.

Guns coming across the border into Mexico are also a matter of concern. The ambassador believes that "90% of the guns we are seizing in Mexico...are coming from the United States."

This video is from CBS' Face the Nation, broadcast Apr. 12, 2009.

(Watch video here. I especially like this article considering that it was on Face the Nation.)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
If we're buying that much crap weed from Mexico (90% of it is crap), imagine the clean money that could be made by domestic growers if pot is legalized. The losers in this scenario, drug cartels and the DEA.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
"This is a debate that needs to be taken seriously, that we have to engage in on both sides of the border: both in producing, in trafficking, and in consumption countries," he said of the marijuana legalization debate.

Maybe this statement could help someone quit laughing off the legalization questions and understand that it is a REAL issue

......or maybe just because people use the internet means they're stupid stoners who don't know anything.....:wallbash:

CLDBD

Maybe this statement could help someone quit laughing off the legalization questions and understand that it is a REAL issue

......or maybe just because people use the internet means they're stupid stoners who don't know anything.....:wallbash:

Exactly. I am an Obama supporter but he took a huge step backwards in my eyes with his remarks that night. I hope he was pandering to the crowd but it scares me that he will adopt and use other outdated ideals and policies. I think even if he was trying to stay neutral he could have addressed the matter with much more maturity. Not only did he completely blow off the issue but he also attacked the very medium from which he received much of his campaign funding. If he was pandering to the crowd I think he let down a much larger group than the crowd or those of equal mindsets.

B

Blue Dot

Exactly. I am an Obama supporter but he took a huge step backwards in my eyes with his remarks that night. I hope he was pandering to the crowd but it scares me that he will adopt and use other outdated ideals and policies. I think even if he was trying to stay neutral he could have addressed the matter with much more maturity. Not only did he completely blow off the issue but he also attacked the very medium from which he received much of his campaign funding. If he was pandering to the crowd I think he let down a much larger group than the crowd or those of equal mindsets.

I agree

J

JackTheGrower

Well the Mexico Ambassador talking sense...

Buy American Cannabis BAC.. Take BAC our Streets.. Sounds better the more I read it.

Jack

vta

Veteran
Mexican Congress Debates Legalizing Marijuana

By E. Eduardo Castillo
Source: Associated Press

cannabis Mexico City -- Mexico's Congress opened a three-day debate Monday on the merits of legalizing marijuana for personal use, a policy backed by three former Latin American presidents who warned that a crackdown on drug cartels is not working.

Although President Felipe Calderon has opposed the idea, the unprecedented forum shows legalizing marijuana is gaining support in Mexico amid brutal drug violence.

Such a measure would be sure to strain relations with the United States at a time when the two countries are stepping up cooperation in the fight against drug trafficking. The congressional debate — open to academics, experts and government officials — ends a day before President Barack Obama arrives in Mexico for talks on the drug war.

Proponents had a boost in February when three former presidents — Cesar Gaviria of Colombia, Ernesto Zedillo of Mexico and Fernando Cardoso of Brazil — urged Latin American countries to consider legalizing the drug to undermine a major source of income for cartels.

The congressional discussion takes on a subject "that had been taboo" in our country, said opposition lawmaker Javier Gonzalez, adding that his Democratic Revolution Party supports legalizing personal marijuana consumption.

"What we don't want is to criminalize youths for consuming or possessing marijuana," he said.

Calderon, whose six-year terms ends in 2012, has proposed legislation that would offer users treatment instead of jail time but stop short of legalizing or decriminalizing possession.

In 2006, Mexico backed off a law that would have abolished prison sentences for drug possession in small amounts after the U.S. protested.

"It's clear that a totally prohibitive policy has not been a solution for all ills," said Interior Department official Blanca Heredia. "At the same time, it's illusory to imagine that complete legalization of marijuana would be a panacea."

Heredia urged lawmakers to keep in mind that drug use is rising in Mexico. She said the number of people who have tried drugs rose from 3.5 million in 2002 to 4.5 million in 2008, while the number of addicts rose from 307,000 to an estimated 465,000.

Mexico's drug violence has surged to unprecedented levels since Calderon launched a military-led offensive against powerful trafficking cartels in 2006. Since then, more than 10,560 people have been killed, mostly in violence between rival gangs.

Lawmakers are not discussing a specific proposal, and the debate is not expected to result in concrete action. Lawmakers have said they want to hear various viewpoints before they begin considering proposed bills for legalizing marijuana.

A

Amstel Light

If we're buying that much crap weed from Mexico (90% of it is crap), imagine the clean money that could be made by domestic growers if pot is legalized. The losers in this scenario, drug cartels and the DEA.
fo REAL!!!! just think of the money it generates with domestic growers....it's off the charts.. what is the cost of an ounce of gold again hmmmm.... cant laugh at it.......

A

Amstel Light

wow an ounce of gold is usd 897$ lol cant us4e this as an example anymore....late 80's it was the same price as "hydro"...

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Mexico Decriminalizes!

Mexico Decriminalizes!

Just pulled this from Fox.

MEXICO CITY — Mexico's Congress approved a bill Friday decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine and heroin for personal use — a measure sure to raise questions in Washington about Mexico's commitment to the war on drugs.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193616,00.html

Latest posts

Latest posts