What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco/perlite bed grow

pico

Veteran
Ok, I am going to give coco a big spot in my garden. I usually use pots on top of ebb/flow tables to collect runoff. This time I just filled the botanicare 4x4 trays with coconut and perlite mix. This is in my room that is dedicated for flowering, so they are straight to flower in these beds.

bottom of the tray got a splash of hydroton to help with drainage.

Then I threw 23 blue skunk plants in the 4x8 space and covered with coco/perlite mix. I buy it bagged with a mychorrizal innoculant all mixed in for $15 a 1.5 cu. ft. bag. Prewashed and everything so it should be the good stuff.

I would normally veg my plants out a lot more than this, but I think these things might explode like my other ebb flow tables. I trimmed about 2/3 of the plant material off these. We will see what happens.

Floranova nutes with liquid karma. 1000w per table. sealed room with CO2.

I have 2 more beds that I will plant sometime this week. couple different strains.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
A new pico-thread, keep it coming boy. What's the percentage of perlite in the coco? I would think that with the hydrotones, the perlite isn't necessary, but that's just me. I'll keep an eye on this.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
pico
howzit? looking crazy good over there ill bbl to peep some updates cool.. peace.

sack

pico

Veteran
Not sure on the perlite percentage. I will ask.I buy it bagged and don't do anything to it. I was tired of flocking up and rinsing out bricks. This is by far the best coco option in my area.

Will be picking up a 50 gallon food grade drum and using a sump pump with hose and wand.

THC4SIM

Pulling up a seat for this one!!!,
it will be interesting to see how the coco compares to your usual method...

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Thanks for the show

Thanks for the show

That Blue Skunk looks good....with all that light, this should be a good one
:lurk:

AbaZabba

Hey Pico :wave:

good to see another experiment coming from ya, love how you always are switching things up and trying new ideas. A coco bed is something I have seriously been contemplating, so this will be a good show to watch.

Got my bowl and a brew, think we're good to gro :lurk:

pico

Veteran
Nice to see some familiar faces in here. Glad we have some interest. I have been thinking about doing this for a few months and really hope it works well. A deeper bed would be nice, but I like using these trays for everything.

oh, and I will be adding my PVC SCROG screens here in the next few days.

If anyone has any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask. I am probably leaving out a lot of info.

G

Ever contemplate adding mycorrhizal fungi.. like Plant Success or Rooter's to those tables? That way you should have a very nice colony established if you decide on using the coir again next run.. just a thought =]

AbaZabba

hey guys,

was lurkin around and saw the use of mycorrhiza pre-mix in coco, something i dont know much about?

Is this referring to some sort of eucalyptus and/or wheat in the medium? I love to learn and grow from coco, a medium that seems very un-explored until recently. You really have to love it if you've tried it, it really does the work itself.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
welcome to the coco forum pico, i look forward to see what you do with coco....

your mix sounds interesting. personally i wouldn't have added perlit. but that's me....

puff puff pass...

:wave:

jimjay

How did the mats end up working for you? I think my plants liked them. I was really dissaointed about my root growth untill i harvested and checked under the mats. There seemed to be alot of growth down there. Not so much in the mats but more just under the mats in the channels of the trays. I had overferting and fungus gnats so i think that the roots will do better next round.
What nutes you using?
You think the mats under the coco would help w/ stability? I think that is what Dalton did

pico

Veteran
jimjay-the grow with mats is still trucking along. I think in my ebb flow tables I won't be using them again. The roots do hang out under there, but it stays much wetter than the hydroton and I feel like the hydroton wants more frequent waterings. Everything still looks good though. Check out the 2400w ebb flow grow in my sig for more info on that grow.

gaiusmarius- Figured I would pop in here and see what everyone is talking about. :)

Just for clarification. Everyone seems curious about the coco mix I have here. It is not my mix, it is prebagged. I didn't add a single thing to the mix. A local company buys prewashed coco, then they flock it up again, wash it another few times, add perlite and mycorrhiza and bag it up.

The only other option in town here would be to flock up a truckload of coco bricks and wash them myslef. I am not interested in flocking up large quantities of bricks and I hear this mix works very well. If not, no problem my next grow is always different.

cheers

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
that's cool pico, i'm very interested to see how it goes. there are many ways to use coco. wouldn't surprise me if this mix works, i mean it sounds like it was done in a professional way, i'm sure they tested their mix. some experiments so far have indicated that coco/perlit mixes need watering less often then straight coco.

anyway, great thread i really am most interested, specially when i know the grower can grow, to see how it goes with this mixture.