What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for advice on moving 50 yards from one garden to the next

Zarezhu

Hey guys, hope to get a better idea of my situation
Last years garden was a success, but the landlord is selling the property. I have 50 yards of vermifire spread out through 99 1/2 yard holes. Ground is fairly hard, I spaced each hole roughly 8-10' on center, and raised the mounds around the holes.

My new house is 19 miles/35~ minutes away (by car).

The old garden is fairly easily accessible, but its on a downward slope and roughly 200-300' from the driveway.

I rented an excavator last year to make the holes, and wheel barrowed the soil myself.

Is there any practical way of me digging up these 50 yards, and then trucking them over in bits and pieces to the new house?

Soil cost was roughly 7k. Vermifire is a great texture and a hot soil that should be good for years.

I'd be willing to spend 2-3k to get it moved to the new place, I just cant figure out how to go about it.

I could rent a mini excavator and dig em up, but how the hell do i go about strategically moving the soil back up the hill, and then moving 40 yards a good 20 miles away?

I dont have a truck that could pull a fully loaded dump trailer. Soil weight adds up quickly.

Should I just leave it be?

Idk. Im stoned and trying to think up possibilities lol. Id likely use the soil for more legitimate crops. Likely some type of tree starts. Also mass veggie garden this year.

Zarezhu

Found a guy on CL with a bobcat/5 yard dump truck that charges 400 a day. Wonder how long it would take him to make 8 or so loads/trips. Worth it if its under 2 days.

kin_dawg

Get some quotes from earthmoving companies. Multiple dump trucks would be better so the digger can keep working and you'd be done in a day. Is the slope accessible by trucks? If so I don't see a problem if you are willing to spend the cash.

Don’t do it, waste of time and money, order a new load and have it delivered, you can get amazing soil for $100 or less. I’m leaving 60 yards at my place this year, it’s just not work the cost, when fresh soil can be trucked in cheap