What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Regalia" for mold and mildew prevention. Anyone tried it?

I was recently told about Regalia, by some growers from Santa Cruz and up North in Humboldt. They said they tried Regalia, and even with late rains and overcast that lasted a week, they still got no mold or PM (these are HUGE crops we're talking about here).

I bought some and have applied it to my gardens.

It is safe to day-of-harvest, it's an extract of some plant I think.

It is supposed to cause the plant to produce substances that naturally keep mold and PM away, Fusarium and a few others as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AA52VJI?psc=1

calisun

I've seen it online before and was thinking about purchasing it. I don't know anyone who has used it. Do you know if they were using it as a foliar spray or soil drench? I was thinking soil drench for fusarium prevention.

I used it as a soil drench. Every year I get late rains that forced my hand a little early. Not this year though. I've used this Regalia, and I'm building hoop huts over my gardens in a bit to protect them from rains and moisture.

Regalia is supposed to work against PM, mold, Fusarium, and other molds/fungi.

It's supposed to cause the plant to produce it's own defenses. Safe to use up to day of harvest.

I was told about it by two different growers who experienced late rains and weeks of overcast weather (recipe for mold), so I figured it was worth a try.

Jury is still out, we will see if it keeps the mold away.

This year however, I am building hoop buildings over my gardens so they don't get wet, so I expect minimal mold.

Storm Shadow, Ive seen you recommending Regalia quite a few times in different threads. Seems as though you got it down as far as application rates. just curious as to how you use it and how much you mix for both root drench and as a foliar spray? I just got a gallon and was reading directions. I was thinking of using 10ml per gallon for a soil drench...though this may be wrong. Your input would be appreciated.

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
i just typed in "regalia on cannabis" and there is quite a few threads with alot of people having huge success with this stuff..85$ for a gallon seems like alot when u first think about it,but its a drop in the bucket when compared to losing 1 whole plant to this bitch ass spore!! i will let everone know how well it works bc if it can handle the humidity and morning dew's we have here in the south it will work anywhere imo

Edit: found this write up on another site about this product

Extract of Reynoutria or Polygonum sachalinensis (Giant Knotweed), a safer alternative

The product Regalia contrasts with the Harpins which are proteins. Regalia is the alcohol extract of giant knotweed. Giant knotweed, Polygonum sachalinensis is a plant that produces many defensive chemicals. These help protect it against insects, diseases, and even other plants. Knotweed defensive chemicals also can have profound effects on other plants and animals, causing beneficial changes in metabolism. Extracts from the giant knotweed, for instance, can protect plants against pathogens that cause powdery mildew, grey mould, insects, and many other diseases. Substantial yield increases are often seen because the treated plants remain free of disease, and their lifetime is extended [12, 13]. Knotweed extracts have low toxicity to mammals and provide protection by boosting the immune system of the plant. Animal tests have also shown that extracts and pharmaceuticals isolated from giant knotweed or its relative, Japanese knotweed, Polygonum cuspidatum, protect against cancer, are anti-inflammatory, lower blood cholesterol, protect against diabetes, and improve cardiovascular health. The extracts of giant knotweed must be handled with care because they contain allelochemicals (chemicals that inhibit growth of competing plants), and may inhibit the growth of the treated plants. The pigments emodin and physcion were responsible for the growth interference [14]. The interference pigments have been employed in the treatment of inflammation in humans.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has reviewed the acute toxicity and genotoxicity of the extract and has approved its safety noting that the extract is mildly irritating to the eyes. The extract is approved for use with all foods [15]. EPA maintains a fact sheet verifying the safety of the product [16]. Reynoutria sachalinensis (an alternative name for P. sachalinensis), a naturally-occurring plant currently found in 25 US States as an ornamental plant, is an invasive weed, and a grazing crop. In fact giant knotweed and Japanese knotweed are both invasive weeds in Europe and North America. For example giant knotweed threatens to displace native riparian forests in the state of Washington [17]. Harvesting the weed to produce biopesticide useful in both organic and conventional food production might be a project for improving both the forests and healthy food production. The knotweed extracts appear to have a double benefit, guarding the health of the food crops and treating the ills of consumers.

To conclude

The plant immune system is beginning to reveal radical new approaches for producing disease free food and feed crops. Both genetic engineering and organic agriculture have begun to benefit from the new insights. It is essential that GM crops containing the protein Harpin be thoroughly tested before being released for human consumption. GM Harpin has already been released with inadequate tests and distributed globally in Harpin-treated seeds with no means available to identify long term adverse consequences of the release because the treated crops are not labelled.

The EPA approval of Harpin waived most toxicity tests on grounds that the use of Messenger(Harpin) is not expected to result in any new dietary exposure to this protein [5]: “Harpin and related harpin proteins are common constituents of plant pathogenic bacteria which are often found on fruits and vegetables.” In other words the GM protein was presumed to be safe rather than rigorously tested.

Knotweed extract induces phytoalexins which infer resistance to powdery mildew and other diseases such as Botrytis. In other words, the extract helps the plant fight the mold rather than attacking the mold directly. We have not tested knotweed products yet and therefore the information presented here is only based upon scientific studies on a variety of other plant species. However, these results do indicate promising effectiveness for cannabis too since a large variety of cultivars respond favourably to the treatment.
There are two primary products on the market: Milsana® and Regalia®. Milsana® is available in Europe. The technical grade active ingredient (TGAI) consists entirely of the dried and ground plant material from harvested Giant knotweed plants grown for this purpose. The end-use product Milsana® is classified as a “Bioprotectant concentrate”. It contains 5% of the ethanolic extract of Reynoutria sachalinensis. Milsana® is recommended as a spray on greenhouse grown plants for the purpose of boosting their natural defence mechanisms against certain fungal diseases. The product should be used as a preventive application mainly for the control of powdery mildew and is used for vegetable and fruit plants in Europe for outdoor/greenhouse cultures. No unreasonable adverse effects on humans or the environment are anticipated from exposure to Milsana®.

According to several studies plants such as cucumber, tomato, salad, potted herbs, and strawberries treated with Milsana® were significantly less infected than controls and this protective effect against powdery mildew was maintained over time. When topically applied to various ornamental, vegetable and fruit crops, this product will induce increased amounts of naturally occurring phenolic substances within the plant, which prevent the attack of plant diseases such as powdery mildew and grey mold (Source: Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology - Volume 61, Issue 2, August 2002, Pages 121-132). On ornamentals and strawberries it is also effective against Botrytis or grey mold. It remains to be seen if it has the same effectiveness for marijuana.
Available in Europe at www.biohelp.at and www.biofa-profi.de

Regalia® is also a patented formulation of an extract from the Giant knotweed plant and sold in the USA. Regalia’s unique mode of action switches on the plant’s natural defence mechanisms to inhibit the development of major diseases, including powdery mildew and grey mold. Research shows after treating with Regalia®, plants produce and accumulate elevated levels of specialized proteins and other compounds known to greatly inhibit fungal development. For example, Regalia® will induce a plant to produce cell strengtheners, antioxidants, phenolics, and PR proteins, which are known to fight pathogens that infect plants. Additionally, Regalia® causes an increase in the production of phytoalexins, the “antibiotics” produced by a plant under attack. These act as toxins to the pathogen such as mildew. More info under www.marronebioinnovations.com

Last edited:

Kygiacomo!!!

AppAlachiAn OutLaW
i just spoke to a guy on another fourm bc he was a big user of this "regalia" and this is what he wrote back to me this could be a game changer for guerillas!!

"yup I always use this stuff and its great and its OMRI approved and NOP compliant but for some reason I remember reading somewhere that your not supposed to use this more than 7 times for the life of the plant. I use this at 10 ml/gal for for soil/rockwool drench and foliar. Its a great preventative for pm but does not remove it or any problems, I HAVE NOT had pm,bud rot or root rot since I've been using this stuff and I also have a buddy that uses this in coco and also roots cutting with regalia at the same ratio as above. good luck bro"

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
check out the Jungle Boyz second grow in this video, they flash on Regalia at 11:18 and their gear looks stellar.

I'm interested in this product.

[YOUTUBEIF]AnWd2mHedK0[/YOUTUBEIF]

HHILL

Like Tactical Farmer said, 1 oz per gallon or about 30ml/gal, bother soil and foliar. I've been using it for 4 years now, and bud rot is down to almost nothing. I typically foliar every 7-10 days veg, and when the flowers start forming, go to the soil drench technique, about 2 gallons per plant for a large plant in a raised bed.

Get more expensive doing soil dr nah, but I'm not comfortable spraying flowers with anything if I can help it

growingcrazy

It worked great last year outdoors here in Mi. Using it on all sorts of veggie crops this year. I will see side by side with and without results.