What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

sugabear_II

Veteran
more pics

more pics

and here is what the cabinet looks like after I added astro foil to the back. I used a staple gun and all was well.

so I figured the cabinet would look even better if it was full of some plants flowering scrogged style so I threw them in there and look what we have :yoinks: day21 flower oregon90 from clone

G

nice cab sugabear, how is everything? :wave:

heres a shot from my little cab, week 4/5ish
10546cab_H_4-30.jpg

sugabear_II

Veteran
hey user name,

everything is good. as you can see I've fired up the cabinet again. I flowered some clones that were pretty small at about 2~3" with 2 sets of leaves, in fact they just barely had roots showing from the rock wool cubes. So I'm doing a kinda SOG-SCROG with 2 plants per 2 gallon DWC bucket with scrog screens for a total of 4 plants scrogged over a bit over 2 square feet with 18,225 lumens. As you can see the clones did the usual SOG reaction which is to go crazy and really grow when the lights get cut back to 12/12, I'd guess if I'd let them grow straight up they would have reached 2 feet or more by now or around 10x - 12x stretch from the 2~3" start height in around 3 weeks of 12/12. certainly more than the 2x - 3x stretch one reads about in the strain descriptions.

In micro-growing one has to remember this fact - a big plant will stretch from 2-3x or more depending upon strain when flowering is induced, however a small or really small plant will stretch considerably more.

It seems to me that the plant is pre-programmed that it must grow to a minimum height in order to have a successful polination. So when flowering starts if it hasn't reached the minimum height yet it will rush to get there, but if it is already there it will stretch less.

This is the familiar SOG principle or the plantlet technique used for a long time with lots of success. If it wasn't for plant numbers determining sentencing and 99+ plants resulting in federal charges I think people would still be SOGing.

In our little microgrows I find it best to take advantage of the plant's natural reaction and always try to flower my girls when they are small so that I don't get over grown.

you'd be amazed at how much a small plant will fill your grow space once 12/12 is started.

Some of this is also because I grow hydro DWC and growth rate in this type of setup is really phenomenal

ne how just my .02

my last grow I let my plants get too big and crazy with branches that didn't produce much density. this grow I'm really trying to go for a few cola's and less undergrowth. My goal is some real nice dense nuggets this round.

sugabear_II

Veteran
oh yeah and it looks like I'm somewhere between 7-14 days behind you so it will be nice to watch you harvest as I mine finish up. nice looking nuggets by the way :D

twilson

I see a lot of people that just have a blower at the top of their cab that sucks the hot air out instead of an air cooled hood.

I might be wrong but i don't think that cools as well as a air cooled hood with glass on the bottom. My cabinet is located in a spot that is probably one of the hotter spots in my house but it produces good bud even in the middle of summer cause it runs at almost room temps.

The reason is cause i have an air cooled hood and an overdesigned blower.

sugabear_II

Veteran
twilson,

Yes I only have a blower sucking hot air out of my cabinet, no cool tube or hood, and it still stays just a few degrees above ambient even though it is pushing through a carbon scrubber and I don't lose any lumens to a glass cool tube or shield on a reflector.

I tried a cool tube before and it was too much of a pain in my small space.

I guess my point is whatever works, works.

I don't see the need to say one works better than another.

ne ways just my experience.

twilson

If your only a few degrees above room temp then what you have works. The glass under my bulb is very thin (less than 1/8th inch) and not tempered.

I'm getting close to 4 Ozs per harvest with one 150 watt hps only so my yields are just fine.

But i do feel a need to say one system is better than another if it's true. How else are you gonna end up with an efficient one.

G

Greetings sugabear II.Thanx for the welcome and the kind words.I couldn't have done this without IC Mag and the many growers who post here.I plan to build another flower box later this year and be able to purchase some quality beans.This whole thing has been a huge learning experience and I think I am fully hooked to the hobby,besides the fact I won't be buying smoke and dealing with all the bs that can sometimes come with the purchasing of smoke.Anyways that's a nice cab you have there.I can't wait to see your scroggin efforts.That's definitely the route I'm takin next grow.Good Luck and :friends: ......Peace

twilson

>> besides the fact I won't be buying smoke

It's 100 bucks a quarter oz near NYC now for decent. I even heard of as high as 120. My ex-dealer is real anxious to sell me as much as i want at that price.

He hates my 150 watt cabinet.

The only thing he has heard out of me in the past 2 years is "no sale". I paid for weed for 34 years of my 36 year smoking history. But thats all over now.

sugabear_II

Veteran
twilson said:
But i do feel a need to say one system is better than another if it's true. How else are you gonna end up with an efficient one.

well one could make the argument that a cool tube or vented hood system is actually less efficient at growing as some lumens are lost to the lamp. It may be more efficient at removing heat and odor control on the other hand.

I guess it depends upon your growing space too. what works in a wardrobe cabinet may not work in a counter height cabinet.

As I said I tried a cool tube in my cabinet and determined that it was not the best choice for my situation. I still have it and maybe when I move to a bigger wardrobe style cabinet I might again consider it.

My point is that we shouldn't sit here and say if you don't have a cool tube or vented hood, well then your system isn't efficient and you should add a cool tube or vented hood.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each decision we make in our setups what really matters IMHO is that people learn the basics and get started instead of spinning their wheels trying to figure out the best approach.

-suga

twilson

Whats your yield.

If i dropped below 3 ounces i would suggest changing things since there is no reason a 150 cant give you that much. If not then there is no reason to change. I m not saying i got the only answer. What I m sayin is my cooling system works real good.

sugabear_II

Veteran
twilson I understand that you are saying your cooling system works real good and provides you with over 3oz per harvest, I'm not suggesting you change.

again my point is that there isn't one best way to do this. [edit:removed my negativity :wave: and I'll replace it with some pictures of my girls at day22 of 12/12 under the 150]

-suga

Last edited:
G

I like those pics suga! Looks like things are getting hazy huh? The pattern on that foil makes for a nice background.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Well, we're back ! I was geeting a bit nervous for a moment, I thought it might be a repeat of the OG story. Glad everything is intact and we can pick up where we were. So, lets get posting !

Regards to all, Pipedream

sugabear_II

Veteran
macros

macros

well alright then pipedream I'll get the show started... :lurk:

Well in the down time I picked up my camera manual and figured out that not only does my camera have a macro mode, it has a super - macro mode too. So I picked up a cheapo tripod and started shooting...

So here's some macros' from under the 150 around day 42 of 12/12 :joint: :sasmokin:

here's a lovely looking bud

and the same bud just a little bit closer

and one last one that I think looks like some kinda animal, maybe a dog

Last edited:
G

suga, looks yummy, when you gonna chop 'er?

Vern, been a while, how are the tubes coming along?

I chopped the J that was under the 150 in the soilless mix, it could have used another week but definitely acceptable. This stuff is so hazy. It taste and smells like toxic lemons! Yummmmmm More flavor by far than any other bagseed strains I've had. Here's some pics:

I had already pulled a few samplers off at this point, I'm guessing it'll be 8-9 grams dry once I clip everything off that stalk.

This strain comes from Humboldt, seems to be more of an outdoor strain, nice thick buds. These colas have 3 growth tips instead of 1 main growth tip at the top...it makes them square off instead of come to a point at the tip.

sugabear_II

Veteran
hey vern - grim reaper you think? I guess I can see that. how've you been? how's that cabinet coming along?

hey username - nice pictures, very sweet macro too, looks ultra yummy. Not sure when I will chop. I was thinking 8 weeks, so another 2 weeks to go, but it looks like it might be ready next week, which would be just fine by me :D - So far trich's are mostly clear with just a few cloudy.

-suga

Hey User Name, nice looking buds, man. The tubes are going pretty well, and currently on day 32 of flower (first week 12/12, after that 14/10) and definitely packing on the weight. One side of the cab, the plant stretched like mad (although only 1-1.5 inch internodes, so I believe the vertical lighting may have helped in this respect), and is currently @ 6 inches from the top; the other side, nearly no vertical stretch, but the buds on this side are huge by comparison. I'm going to end up with 15-20 "tops" in excess of 16 inches in length all filled in...yeehaw! I think it's not too premature to declare the experiment a total success! I'm thinking 10-12 zips this run, but will be ecstatic even if I only get 6! The funny thing is that I still haven't put a single fan inside the cab; I'm just using the Hurricane for airflow, which is considerable. I also seem to be winning the battle with Fungus Gnats; the little fuckers turned up @ two weeks ago and like PoM, they tried to take over the place. Mosquito dunks and lowering the water level seems to be doing the trick.

Suga, the "Grim" was a prominent character in a Harry Pothead movie, with tea leaves leaving the shape of a dog (the "Grim") behind in the cup. You've prolly read the above update already, so thanks for asking. I will buy/borrow a real camera come harvest time, as these screens should be quite a sight (for me anyway). Just thinking about how close my first harvest is is getting me pretty damn excited; I may need to hit my connection for a last oz of dirtweed, lest I lower my yield by taking too many samples.

Take it sleazy, boys and girls.

-Vern

Last edited: