What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How I got roots in 6 days.

slowandeasy

Veteran
New Clone

New Clone

Alrighty then, I took just 1 Clone and just soaked in my Roots Excell water. No gel, just that. It is a huge clone, and looks really nice. We shall see how it does versus gel and roots excell soak. Anyhow here are a couple pics...Enjoy

picture.php

picture.php

I have to top my plants all of the time, this is a top I chopped less than 24 hrs ago. It is really big, and never wilted at all. I have had really good luck with bigger clones with stiff stems. Hopefully I have roots in 6 days as usual. Take care.

Weedsa

May I ask you a little bit about how you did it?

Did you soak the cuttings in roots excell & RO water (phed) for 20 minutes?
Did you pre-treat the coco in 1/2 strength nutes?
Did you use clonex?
What kind of light (type, size) did you use?
How far above the cutting (top of cutting to light) is your light?
Did you use any heating pad, etc?
What is the ambient temperature of your cloning area?

Thanks for the help!
Well actually I just cut a clone and soak it only few minutes in tap water and then dip it in root hormone.
Coco needs to be very tight packed and I use low strength nutes (TNT ½ PH5.8).
And I have CFL light in my cloning area, 45W and its about 10 inches above the clones. Temperature is near 86F. Im not using any heating pad but clones are 3 feet upper than the floor.

Herborizer

Veteran
Well the cutting I took on 9/20/2010 still looked awesome, but no visible roots. So I opened up it's coco and inspected the stem. No bumps, no roots, nothing. I did the same with two other cuttings I took on 9/26, same thing (nothing).

I never have wilt on my cuttings using coco, but I wonder if I put a dome it would help somehow (since I am still not getting roots). The only time I have every been successful was using rockwool (which I dont want to use), and I used a dome then. My RH in my mother room is pretty low RH 30's. Thoughts?

Herborizer

Veteran
Well the cutting I took on 9/20/2010 still looked awesome, but no visible roots. So I opened up it's coco and inspected the stem. No bumps, no roots, nothing. I did the same with two other cuttings I took on 9/26, same thing (nothing).

I never have wilt on my cuttings using coco, but I wonder if I put a dome it would help somehow (since I am still not getting roots). The only time I have every been successful was using rockwool (which I dont want to use), and I used a dome then. My RH in my mother room is pretty low RH 30's. Thoughts?

What got me thinking about this was this thread: https://www.gardenscure.com/420/pro...-made-easy-pictorial-guide-9.html#post1181454

This person broke down so many parts of cloning. One thing this person noticed was that if RH was lower than 60% it could push out how long it took to get roots out more than a week.

slowandeasy

Veteran
What got me thinking about this was this thread: https://www.gardenscure.com/420/pro...-made-easy-pictorial-guide-9.html#post1181454

This person broke down so many parts of cloning. One thing this person noticed was that if RH was lower than 60% it could push out how long it took to get roots out more than a week.

Trash those clones dude, been to long on those 1st ones. I had no idea your humidity was only 30 percent. How fast are your cups drying? I believe if they get too dry, even 1 time....you can fail. I would rather be a little too wet at first, because of your low humidity. I am surprised your clones never wilted with that low of humidity. My humidity is about 55-65%. You could try to put dome on. It might help. Or Spray the inside of a Baggie with water and stick it over a clone and see what it does.

Sorry it is not working for you. I will post my results of just soaking Roots excell and no gel once the clone roots. Been 3 days, so we shall see how fast it works with just Roots Excell. Your clones should have roots by now, for sure...so I would suggest trying a dome of some sorts. But I would only use it a week Tops, then pull it off. Good luck

Herborizer

Veteran
Trash those clones dude, been to long on those 1st ones. I had no idea your humidity was only 30 percent. How fast are your cups drying? I believe if they get too dry, even 1 time....you can fail. I would rather be a little too wet at first, because of your low humidity. I am surprised your clones never wilted with that low of humidity. My humidity is about 55-65%. You could try to put dome on. It might help. Or Spray the inside of a Baggie with water and stick it over a clone and see what it does.

Sorry it is not working for you. I will post my results of just soaking Roots excell and no gel once the clone roots. Been 3 days, so we shall see how fast it works with just Roots Excell. Your clones should have roots by now, for sure...so I would suggest trying a dome of some sorts. But I would only use it a week Tops, then pull it off. Good luck

it would be cool if it was a humidity issue! Seems sooo easy to fix!

Today, I am going to setup two propagation trays. One in my grow environment (mother room) and another in my bedroom in a closet. This way I can elliminate the off-gassing/environmental factor of my grow space. I will use domes on both, keep temps around 80F (not lower), light 12 inches above. Using the exact method described previously where I pre-nute at 300ppm on the coco, bath the cuttings in RE for 20 mins, CloneX gel, etc. I will also add a couple cubes of rockwool with cuttings in those as well. This way I will have several experiments going at the same time. Should provide good data.

Like I said before, I believe 100% in this cloning method and that its going to be awesome. There is just something unique about my environment that is causing issues that most people haven't seen. It makes sense that Humidity could be the issue, I guess most people don't have RH down in the high 20's and low 30's like I do. I didnt realize that this was quite rare. Since none of my cuttings have ever wilted, I never considered it. I figured that since my cuttings never wilt, that a dome would cause more problems then it would solve. If this fixes it, it would be weird right? For sure, it would be good learning for the people like me who are stuck and nothing is working. They really need to make a cloning/mother forum.

Thanks for the help Slowandeasy.

asher1er

Veteran
herb, give it a go with a dome... you can take it off each day for some fresh air.. the last few times i made cuts i kept the dome on for a few days then would air them out everyday till they started to wilt.. last round had feet in 7 days:joint: 10 is still the norm for me and this is with canna coco, cut dipped in olivias gel or clonex gel whatever i have handy and the coco is damped with tap water ph'd at 5.8

CityKnightz

Day 2 No Bueno...

Day 2 No Bueno...

IMG_9251.jpg

For whatever reason, cloning seems to be near impossible for me. Most seem to just wilt and die as soon as they hit the coco. Temps are at 75 degrees with about 50% rhumidity. The tray on the left is covered with a humidity dome and misted daily, and they are doing slightly better but still not giving me much hope. Used distilled water with root excel and let the clones sit in cups of that mixture for about 12 hours before placing in coco. As soon as they hit the coco they wilt and not sure if most will make it back...

asher1er

Veteran
How I got roots in 6 days.

City forget messing those up.. Put a dome over it.. Very rare can I leave a batch with no dome I guess it depends on your enviro.. But those look like they'll be good clones.. Cover some with a ziplock or a plastic container and see if they come up..

I have made clones in coco with straight tap water and no gel(ran out of supplies) and had good luck with that batch:joint:

Herborizer

Veteran
Also, don't spray them. From what I gather, this does more harm than good.

I am guessing that the wilt is because of too much light. Try putting a couple pieces of paper towel over the humidity dome to reduce light.

slowandeasy

Veteran
IMG_9251.jpg

For whatever reason, cloning seems to be near impossible for me. Most seem to just wilt and die as soon as they hit the coco. Temps are at 75 degrees with about 50% rhumidity. The tray on the left is covered with a humidity dome and misted daily, and they are doing slightly better but still not giving me much hope. Used distilled water with root excel and let the clones sit in cups of that mixture for about 12 hours before placing in coco. As soon as they hit the coco they wilt and not sure if most will make it back...

I never mist, and the only time I did...guess what happened? They wilted! Not saying that is what cause yours to do so, but if you misted all of them...you have no proof either way. What kind of light are you using? Also, I find that Stiffer stems root faster for me and wont wilt as easy. good luck

C

Cheeb

CityKnights,

Try taking much smaller clones. Clones of that size are going to require quite a bit of humidity to prevent them from wilting. The only times I've had clones wilt in the past were when I took too large of clones. I've had some success "halfing" the fan leaves to prevent wilt on large clones, but switching to smaller more "spindly" clones I've increased my success rate to nearly 100%.

Lately my best success has came in the form of small clones, no dome but 70% humidity, dip'n grow soak, and I DID mist the clones for the 1st few days.

Give the rooters a try - provided you dont keep these things soggy soaking wet I dont see how people fail. At that point its a matter of whether YOU need the dome or you dont.

/ on a side note..while I think cleanliness sure doesn't hurt I think its way over stressed. Being surgical and lab like is not necessary in my experience. I've been taking clones with ol' dirty resin covered precision pruners for a while now with no issues at all. I've actually had poorer results when taking my time with clean razor blades and all that fuss. Now I just cut, soak, and insert as fast as I can. Works fine for me!

slowandeasy

Veteran
CityKnights,

Try taking much smaller clones. Clones of that size are going to require quite a bit of humidity to prevent them from wilting. The only times I've had clones wilt in the past were when I took too large of clones. I've had some success "halfing" the fan leaves to prevent wilt on large clones, but switching to smaller more "spindly" clones I've increased my success rate to nearly 100%.

Lately my best success has came in the form of small clones, no dome but 70% humidity, dip'n grow soak, and I DID mist the clones for the 1st few days.

Give the rooters a try - provided you dont keep these things soggy soaking wet I dont see how people fail. At that point its a matter of whether YOU need the dome or you dont.

/ on a side note..while I think cleanliness sure doesn't hurt I think its way over stressed. Being surgical and lab like is not necessary in my experience. I've been taking clones with ol' dirty resin covered precision pruners for a while now with no issues at all. I've actually had poorer results when taking my time with clean razor blades and all that fuss. Now I just cut, soak, and insert as fast as I can. Works fine for me!

I have really good luck with huge clones. Not lanky, with thick stems. The thing with cloning is, what works for me...might not work for others. So many variables. But if you can root a huge clone, it takes almost a week of your veg time. Either way, the faster you fill your cup with roots, the faster they grow.

bicyclebenny

IMG_9251.jpg

A couple of ideas:
I use cuttings from the bottom of the plant that are older, harder and with shorter internode spacing; blue spectrum cfl's will help keep the spacing shorter. My cloning success percentage had been in the single digits no matter with coco, RW, peat pellets or aerocloner. I am now at nearly 100% since I began using H2O2 @ about 1t/qt of city tap water in the initial soaking of the medium as well as the water the cuttings soak in for a few minutes.
If I use cuttings that are that long and lanky (IMO), I cut them down to about 2-2.5 inches and remove the bottom leaves.
The day I started using the h2o2, my 30 or so wilted cuttings were up and smiling within a matter of a couple hours. Humidity, medium moisture levels, temps are no longer even a consideration as to what was the contributing factor to my failures; it was all about the pythium. I can now keep them wet or just moist and between 70 and 85 degrees with no dome and get no more grief. I have for three years been seeing roots through the coco at around 25 days and was resigned to that number. Now I see them poking through the coco or out the bottom of the RW cubes in 7-10 days and that is a new and exciting world for me.

H2O2 is the answer around here!

Last edited:

Herborizer

Veteran
A couple of ideas:
I use cuttings from the bottom of the plant that are older, harder and with shorter internode spacing; blue spectrum cfl's will help keep the spacing shorter. My cloning success percentage had been in the single digits no matter with coco, RW, peat pellets or aerocloner. I am now at nearly 100% since I began using H2O2 @ about 1t/qt of city tap water in the initial soaking of the medium as well as the water the cuttings soak in for a few minutes.
If I use cuttings that are that long and lanky (IMO), I cut them down to about 2-2.5 inches and remove the bottom leaves.
The day I started using the h2o2, my 30 or so wilted cuttings were up and smiling within a matter of a couple hours. Humidity, medium moisture levels, temps are no longer even a consideration as to what was the contributing factor to my failures; it was all about the pythium. I can now keep them wet or just moist and between 70 and 85 degrees with no dome and get no more grief. I have for three years been seeing roots through the coco at around 25 days and was resolved to that number. Now I see them poking through the coco or out the bottom of the RW cubes in 7-10 days and that is a new and exciting world for me.

H2O2 is the answer around here!

Thank you for your contribution. This is something I will for sure try (since I have so many methods going at once, another isn't going to hurt). :) The H2O2 makes sense too, if you consider that Slowandeasy uses roots excellerator in his initial batch (as a soak). Roots excellerator is basically beneficial bacteria, which is another way of shielding off pythium.

May I ask what your RH (relative humidity) is in the room where you clone? For example, for me, I am trying to clone in my mother room. In that room I exhaust the air enough to replace all the air in that room 3 times per minute. Because of this, my RH is around 30%. I believe this is extremely low and has contributed to my failures in cloning.

zor

the day I started using the h2o2, my 30 or so wilted cuttings were up and smiling within a matter of a couple hours.

interesting find there, i dont have problems with cloning but would like to see if i can be lazier with it using the h202.

Last edited:

bicyclebenny

I found that whether conditions are "sterile" or just poking a new cutting in the hole in the medium I'd just pulled the dead one from, they don't wilt. I was blown away by this.