What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New 8KW stealth Coco chip grow!

blackone

Veteran
At the moment I'm only flooding half the tables 5 times a week, the others 3 times a week. When I watered every day they all looked waterlogged, now they've perked up quite a bit. It's been hot lately so I've been keeping an eye on em, but so far this schedule works well. As they get larger I'll increase the frquency, but I can already HEARTILY recommend the E&F trays and chips! No hand watering and TONS of time saved. Literally, I'm only in the garden for about an hour a week.

I bet that's going to change come trimming time:)
Good job there, following this one.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hey lazy if you filled them trays how many would you have 49? 7x7? or 36, 6x6? thanks for the help
Good question! When they were ALL tiny, I could fit exactly 36 per tray (pretty well stuffed with 2 gallon pots at 6X6.) Now they're getting bigger, particularly the ones that vegged for two weeks, I've thinned them out and spread them to other trays/lights, sorted by height. Basically, as they get big they more down to the next tray, where the light is a little taller. Still have two lights yet to turn on, but I want to see how much space I'm using at the end of this grow so I can better judge plant counts for next time.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I bet that's going to change come trimming time:)
Good job there, following this one.

Thanks man, it is a labour of love! Yeah trimming sucks, I also heartily recommend the Testarossa electric scissors (Bonsai Hero) as they make you into a trimming Superman! I now can do about 3-4 times as much as someone with regular scissors, but I think a Trimpro is in my future.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
great room lazy, be watching for updates

cmoon

Thanks Cmoon! I'll snap some more pics in a day or so, some of the Sage n Sours are over two feet tall already (!) Crazy stretch, I shoulda put them under a high MH than a high HPS light, oops!

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
lazy dont buy the trimpro's.... i got one and it works great but im pretty sure you can get a knock off brand looks the same and its half the money..... just something to think about....

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
lazy dont buy the trimpro's.... i got one and it works great but im pretty sure you can get a knock off brand looks the same and its half the money..... just something to think about....

Gotcha, got any names or links? I just need something like the trimpro workstation, i dry 12" branches on racks so the table would be perfect for my drying style.

Thanks!

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
ill talk to my shop i forget the name im going there friday ill try and remember to ask...

maybe ill try a google or two... time to eat ill try find that name later for ya...

Oregonic

Thanks man, it is a labour of love! Yeah trimming sucks, I also heartily recommend the Testarossa electric scissors (Bonsai Hero) as they make you into a trimming Superman! I now can do about 3-4 times as much as someone with regular scissors, but I think a Trimpro is in my future.

Hey Lazy where did you get your Bonsai Heroes from?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hey Lazy where did you get your Bonsai Heroes from?

Bought em online and paid with Paypal, but that was a few years ago (ok maybe 5!) Wow. Gone through a few power supplies on it (the wires break inside the jacketing where you hold it) but universal replacement power supplies from Walmart or whatever work fine.

Yep, I think I got em direct from bonsaihero.com, took a couple weeks to get here but OH what a sweet piece of kit.

Awesome show! You make it looks incredibly easy. Nice to open people's eyes that it doesn't HAVE to be complicated.

So your cooling 8k with no AC!?..and no aircooled hoods?
How cool are your nights (intake temps)?

This is exactly what I'm looking to do with 5400w in smallish bedroom. I have a 12" MAX (1708 CFM) and a few smaller can fans for intake if needed. The Can 150 (max cfm 1260) would be limiting the 12" exhaust. Do you think I can make it work?

Another question - in the event that your needing those ACs.. wouldn't that cool air just get exhausted right out with the way you have your filters sitting right next to them?

SoQuick who? Your a true inspiration my friend! Keep it movin.

Peace

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Awesome show! You make it looks incredibly easy. Nice to open people's eyes that it doesn't HAVE to be complicated.

So your cooling 8k with no AC!?..and no aircooled hoods?
How cool are your nights (intake temps)?

This is exactly what I'm looking to do with 5400w in smallish bedroom. I have a 12" MAX (1708 CFM) and a few smaller can fans for intake if needed. The Can 150 (max cfm 1260) would be limiting the 12" exhaust. Do you think I can make it work?

Another question - in the event that your needing those ACs.. wouldn't that cool air just get exhausted right out with the way you have your filters sitting right next to them?

SoQuick who? Your a true inspiration my friend! Keep it movin.

Peace

Thanks man, glad you like it! Yes, no AC at night (lights on) just exhaust. I have (5 of 8) air-coolable hoods, just don't have them hooked up as it hasn't been needed yet. My night temps outdoors are usually around 50*F, even when it hit 95*F during the day (HUGE temp differentials!) I just ordered an 18" motorized shutter for intake, as on hot days my inside temps still climb 5-7* over ambient, but I've managed to keep it under 90 so far. This should allow me to actually leave the house on hot days without having to open the door (and let bugs in.)

Yeah my AC's aren't great, the big one (12K btu) is right next to the tables so it does manage to blow cool air onto the babies when its hot, even if the room is hotter. The small AC (9K BTU) IS right next to an exhaust filter/fan so yeah I may be losing some cooler air that way, but I try to blow the air away from it so it doesn't scoop up much (taking advantage of air layering, no oscillating fans nearby, filter is 6' up, etc.

Good question on the 12" Max fan vs CAN150, my solution would probably be to get a 12" tee or wye and run two filters off the same fan, especially if you're letting that big fan go full speed. If you're running a speed controller on the fan then you're probably matching the CFM's both ways, and should be fine. If heat is a problem then the single filter would restrict the higher fan speeds yes. I like to run my rooms negative pressure, keeps smells under control much better. I undersize my intakes and/or oversize the exhaust so the only air going out goes through a big filter first.

Eventually (probably this winter for my next 6 month inspection) I'm going to have my feed power line redone so I can pull 100 amps, and I'll add a 3-4 ton mini split AC and gonna finish insulating the whole building. The landlord can keep the power upgrade and the insulation, small price to pay. That way I can maybe double up my setup and just run a flip flop. Gotta talk the wife into it though, lol.

Just took some pics the other day, let me get em off my phone and onto here and I'll post em today.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh, I need some ideas on CO2. I could put in a big CO2 generator and a couple 100# tanks and let my temps hit 80-85 no problem, but I need to figure out just how "leaky" my building is. ANy ideas on how I can figure out how well its sealed? I've gone through several cans of spray foam and filled up tons of cracks, so it probably isn't bad, but I would hate to add CO2 if it leaks out too fast.

Thanks all...

Securityfirst

Hi Lazy man , I too appreciate the cool nights of Norcal. Keeps things cool, lol

Here is my ebb and grow. Strain is Sour Grape from Oakland. Notice the taller Chem D in back. Coco chips huh?

And for the AC check out acwholesalers.com. Please let us know where you get a 2 or 4 ton mini split for what price.

Peace out

picture.php

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
More pics! I took my Vortex fans off my window boards and hard mounted them to my CAN150's, and wrapped them with lots of foam for sound control, MUCH quieter now. 7 of 8 lights are on now, I've had to arrange all the 11 different strains by height, so they're all pretty well mixed now, all at 3 weeks flower:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh yeah, had a recent problem with fungus gnats, I used some mosquito dunks (thanks again Dongle69!) in each reservoir anmd they should be cleared up shortly. Fortunately they're not too damaging. I saw a couple mite webs on a corner of the tray, but so far I haven't been able to find any on the plants. I foliar sprayed with Floramite, neem and SM90 just to be safe though, and set off a big Dr. Doom pyrethrum fogger too. No such thing as overkill when it comes to bugs!

that vortex is a gnarly son of a bitch eh? Couldn't imagine having 2 of them going.

mosquito dunks - do you put them in something before tossing them in the reservoir? I just threw one in and it fell apart - "contaminating" my reservoir with little flecks everywhere! Next time I'll definately put it in a panty hose or chessecloth or something.

What brand are those coco chips? They look very nice and seem like a good alternative to hydroton in my ebb&gros. I'm about to try these huge sure to grow cylinders, but these chips look like they'd be right up my alley if the cylinders dont work out.

I think I may be able to order the below chips (hydrofarm brand) from my local shop. Do they need rinsing or anything before use?

image.php