What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DJ Short's GRAPE KRUSH

Grape Krush by DJ Short is just further proof of the latter’s greatness as a breeder. I became interested in it after I saw Jason King’s gorgeous pictures of it in Cannabible 3, and even though his report of it sounds a bit too much like advertising propaganda, a “stellar new release” that “seems to have no weaknesses whatsoever,” I quickly got an order off for my seeds, and I’m glad I did (to make an understatement!).

GK is a very beautiful plant to grow. I’ve had constant struggles with heat in my flower room, but even so, you can see the purple coming through. I found it initially a little finicky to grow. What I discovered is that this strain needs very, very light soil, more so than usual, and over-watering, even slight, can stunt its vegetative growth. Jason King had reported it to have “crinkly leaf phenomenon.” Below is a picture of this. What I found out is that the crinkly phenomenon is a direct response to over-watering. Look closely at the picture and you’ll notice relatively normal leaves lower, then the crinkly, abnormal leaves. I intentionally over-watered (or really gave what would be a normal watering for most plants) to prove to myself that this was the cause, and sure, enough, it is. As the plant dried out, the leaves reverted to normal. It is best to avoid this, as it slows growth, by putting more Perlite and/or other lightening agents in your medium than normal. Otherwise, the vegetative growth is slow to begin with too…. And one other “negative” comment is that this takes a long time to root when cloning. It’s fine if you watch it closely, but not the easiest strain to clone… (mine takes 2+ weeks to root).

But, look again closely at the first picture below at the stem. Notice that it has a faciated stem. Now, I’m not a Botanist, but I think this indicates an improved vascular system, and it might be why this strain is sensitive to over-watering. I’ve noticed this in a few other strains too, like Deep Chunk. But I’m guessing. If any one can set me straight about that, I’ld appreciate it…

Anyway, let me get to the point of this report:

Potency: 10/10 - very balanced body/head high; extremely potent, comes on very fast, practically as soon as you taste that delicious grape taste you feel yourself taking off. Awesome!

Taste: Very strong - exactly like powdered Grape Kool-Aid. I was shocked when I noticed this smell from the plants. Even though I expected a grape flavor, it is so strong and so distinctive, and so purely grape. It isn’t “peppery grape” or “grape and vanilla… or grape and anything. This is just simply pure Grape Kool-Aid. I totally love the flavor, which translates into a smooth, nonexpanding smoke (i.e., doesn’t make you cough). As I’ve never smoked anything that tastes like this, I find it exotic, unique and wonderfully delicious. Brings out the candy-craving kid, Kool-Aid loving kid in me. More, more, more!!! (and don’t worry, there will be, in my garden anyway. LOL)

The Buzz: Electric head high with simultaneous full-bodied, flying buzz, that leaves you thinking your clear-headed, but really you are soaring in a sensuous and ecstatic, charged from head-to-toe high that is really hard to beat and is a bit disorienting, both with respect to time and space. It is very easy to lose yourself in music, or creative thoughts, or watching TV - and, oh, makes me very horny too. The munchies factor is there, but mildly, not uncontrollably - and I really appreciate that. Time seems to freeze and speed up simultaneously. My god, this is fantastic pot! And better yet, the more you smoke, the higher you get, and hours later…. NOT washed out and drained, but physically relaxed, mentally refreshed and ready for more. That makes this really extraordinary and unique, and it has so many positive qualities all in one stunningly beautiful, tasty package, and without the negative qualities that often goes along with the different elements of the high (I.e. it isn’t paranoia-inducing, but is very stimulating; it isn’t a narcotic couch-lock, but it IS a narcotic soaring high that doesn’t leave you exhausted.)

What can I say. I am really blown away by this strain and it has jumped to my #1 favorite connosseur stash status. It really is nice to start out with very high expectations, and wind up having the results totally rock my pot-loving being to the core. This really is the highest recommendation I can give for a strain. I can’t imagine pot that is much better than this, frankly. I’ll being growing, lots, and lots and lots of this… I’m sure of it, and I highly recommend it to just about everyone. Whether you are a sat lover or an indica lover, you’ll enjoy this herb, for sure.

The one I kept for a mother flowers in 8-9 wks - but could be taken earlier, depending on tastes. The more it veg’s the more it will produce. The yield isn’t huge, but it also is no slouch either, like some connosseur strains at this extremely high qualitative level can be. The pics below are all of a plant that was harvested early at 8 weeks (but I’m a sat lover, and smoke all day, and didn’t want to risk this delicious smelling pot turning sleepy-headed on me). I plan to let the ones I’m growing now go longer. The majority of the trichs are milky, but very few amber colored at the point I took my first harvest. For me, it’s better to err in the direction of too early, than too late. Next time, I’ll let it go longer and see how it turns out. (The flowering dates are labelled wrong on some of the pics - sorry; my error; I have multiple strains flowering at the same time and got confused - but the harvest time is correct! Sorry.)

Now I really wish you could scratch your computer screens and get a whiff of some of this.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope this report was informative for you….
Stay green, ya’ll!

I’ll be very curious and eager to hear from other GK growers if you got different phenotypes, any growing tips and impressions, etc. So, if there are any of you out there, please feel welcome to post your own pics and impressions here too. Thanks!

:fsu:

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
Go DJ :dance:

yeah great report man gotta love great gear from a masterful breeder..

awesome pics too!!!

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Love your pictures bro.. and your very informative report... post some more pix of grape grush if you can.. maybe showing what the structure of the plant looks like in full bud... :=)

Stargazer

Trich Watcher,

Really enjoyed reading your report. Sounds like a fantastic strain, and has been added to my list.

SG.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Superb report - thanks for taking the time out to post that. And only confirms what I've found in my Flos - DJ's strains are superlative smoke in every respect. Just have to get those yields higher now...though I understand Grape Krush yields higher than most :chin:

thanks ya'll.

and, bergerbuddy, I have lots more pics of GK. I'll put some more up over the weekend when I have more time (got to get to work now) showing the bud structure, and different stages of growth better. It's a real beauty from start to finish. I'm going to be experimenting, trying to figure out how to milk the highest yield out of it now.

aeric

Veteran
great report, that one is and has been next on my list, expectations are almost too high at this point but oh well...crinkle type due to overwatering? I was starting to think it may be from slight overfert, who knows, all my F13 have a little bit of crinkle now. Love to hear what u learn about dialing her in.

Thanks, everyone. Glad you enjoyed.

I think there may be multiple factors involved in the "crinkle leaf" syndrome, aeric. I've noticed the same phenomenon whenever I reveg an already flowered plant. But my GK clones don't get it now, unless they get too much water... I think with them it is a stress reaction.

To improve the yield, at this point I think it needs lots of veg time - more than I've done so far. And, as I've said above, I think it needs a very light medium, and will probably veg faster that way. I'll find out very soon.

But here are a few more pics, as requested, to help broaden your impression of GK.

It has a moderate stretch when it goes into 12/12, like a typical hybrid. Then it fills in the spaces, as it matures. I've illustrated this below, but all the pics may not be in chronological order. I'm very, very buzzed. :joint: The final buds are actually fairly dense and moderately heavy; and they reek! but noone would think it was mj. ha, ha

In my next harvest, I will go to 9 weeks. There is more amber than the macro below indicates at 8 weeks, though (maybe 20%).

Enough talk, and now for some pics and a little eye candy. I think Grape Krush is a tremendous breeding accomplishment by DJ Short.

And, Mr. Short, if you should see this..
thank you!
keep on breeding!
and if you need any test growers or photographers for any new things you're working on, heh, I'm your man!

(sorry - that was a little tacky)

Oh, by the way, I didn't upload every picture into the report, because I was so buzzed.... if you want to see more, light up a joint and click on my gallery and do a quick slide show. There are a few good pics there that aren't posted in any thread.

Happy gardening, everyone. :wave:

One final word - I have lots of pics, but only one with any frame of reference at all. It's the first pic below. The black background is actually the body of a grand piano. The plant is in a 14 inch rectangular pot and comes to the top of the piano. Not a huge plant... but I'm sure the yield can be much, much better than what I've achieved so far... I was, after all, in a hurry to get some to smoke, and identify a mother. :woohoo: mission accomplished.

Last edited:

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
Some very nice plants you got there. Ive been hearing mixed reports about the grape krush. I am not sure maybe the growers didnt grow it properly or maybe they just dont plain like it. Nice to see you enjoyed it though. Peace.

G

This is a real nice report! Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts...This makes me want to buy GK right now...lol

K

kokua

nice report trich. makes me want to start some GK :) :yes: thanks for the report.

George

very nice report. i have also heard mixed reports about GK. which is the reason i never bought the beans. still thinking about it later on if i start growing again, cause i would just loe to find grape smelling and tasting weed!

Latest posts

Latest posts