What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best time to foliar

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
What time of day is best to spray foliar feed? ( Not IPM)

I know not to spray with lights on, because of burning leaves.

I have heard that it is wasteful to feed nutrients as lights are out because the plant is not photosynthesising in dark and can't use the nutrients.

So is it best to turn lights off in the day cycle untill plants have dried?

Or spray an hour before lights come on for day? Use green grow headlights?

What do you guys do?
Can't wait to try optic foliar transport, so I can spray with lights on.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
At dusk outdoor or lights out indoor. That's when the plant will take in your foliar spray. Very little will be taken in when lights are on.

The absorption takes place through leaf stomata. Stomata open at night and close during the day.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I have 3 exchanges of air per minute in my tent. I spray during lights on, every time. No burning, no issues. I give the plants a good shake after spraying and let the rest evaporate in the breeze.

Your results will vary, depending on your own lighting, ventilation and methods. :)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have 3 exchanges of air per minute in my tent. I spray during lights on, every time. No burning, no issues. I give the plants a good shake after spraying and let the rest evaporate in the breeze.

Your results will vary, depending on your own lighting, ventilation and methods. :)
Are you adding something to the spray to keep water from beading up on leaf surface? Like yucca or aloe or the Transport I mentioned earlier?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I always did it when lights went off. Done it with them on before to though no issues.

I've noticed some strains burn others not. My purple strain, doesn't seem to like getting sprayed. She gets burnt, twisted and stunted - sometimes even in dark.
While others I can spray with lights on.

The beads of liquid can act like a magnifying glass. So on plants where the water beads and rolls off the leaves, those leaves aren't absorbing nutrients?
Or is it leaving behind traces as it rolls off?

Cannavore

Veteran
just before lights turn on. the plants stomatas will be wide open to take in the foliar. dont foliar during the night cycle lol.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thanks was not aware of that. So plants transpire thru stomata but stomata only open at night, so plants only transpire at night?
Stomata are open all the time, but open more at night.

just before lights turn on. the plants stomatas will be wide open to take in the foliar. dont foliar during the night cycle lol.
Makes sense to spray at dawn. By the time it's high enough to damage anything the spray has done it's job and is all but evaporated with the dew.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Yes, I add yucca until the water spreads instead of beading up. :)

Ok one more question for you.. well one more for today..well that's probably a lie too.

What yucca product do you use? Can you use any yucca plants(buddies front yard)?

Lied already.. I'm full of questions.

Cannavore

Veteran
Stomata are open all the time, but open more at night.

Makes sense to spray at dawn. By the time it's high enough to damage anything the spray has done it's job and is all but evaporated with the dew.

spraying at full lights off doesnt do much from my experience and it only serves to droop and weigh the plants down. and if for some reason your air flow also goes off at lights out, could become a breeding ground for moulds and stuff.

my ladies pray at lights on during foliar days :tiphat:

Wendull C.

Veteran
Like cannavore said. First thing in the morning. They will be tacoing to the light by mid day of their cycle.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
@cannared Yucca from your Friend's yard is probably fine. A small amount of yucca goes a long ways, 1/16 of a teaspoon is all thats recommended for 5 gallons of water.

Here is a link about Yucca from Harley Smith:

https://www.maximumyield.com/yucca-extracts-a-gardening-secret-from-the-desert/2/1236

Foliar feeding can give plants a direct boost of nutrients through their leaves. This is done by means of thousands of microscopic pores on leaf surfaces. These openings, called stomata (Greek: stoma, meaning “mouth”) are located primarily on the underside of the leaves. This prevents them from plugging up with dust and other environmental contaminants and also prevents fungal spores from entering. The primary functions of stomata openings are to permit gases containing carbon, hydrogen and oxygen to enter the plant. These are then used to manufacture sugars during photosynthesis. Conversely, stomata allow water vapor to escape from plants. In most cases, stomata close at night because the absorption of carbon dioxide is unnecessary when photosynthesis is not taking place. Stomata may also close on hot, dry days, in heavy winds or when the soil becomes dry.

The best time to spray is late in the afternoon or in the early dawn, when temperatures are mild and wind is minimal. When wind is minimal, finely atomized sprays drift readily. This is most desirable. Absorption is further enhanced when weather conditions are humid and moist. The presence of dew on leaves facilitates foliar feeding. Absorption is maximized when sprays coat the underside of leaves where the majority of the stomata are located.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Ibechillin is correct. :) You can use yucca extract or powdered root, I use a little bit of powdered root. A little does go a long way. :)

G

Ok. In keeping with the theme is there one product that’s preferred as an overall feeding foliar for veg? Diluted fish fert? I’m trying to simplify the list of items I use. I don’t want to have to mix one laundry list of items this week and a different one next week.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Self made or known quality worm castings (chelates nutrients, beneficial bacterias and nutrients), Humic/fulvic acid (chelate nutrients), kelp (auxin/cytokinin), soybean (aminos chelate nutrients and gives nitrate), alfalfa (aminos, triacontanol and nitrate) brewed (aerated) into a tea. Then add epsom salt (magnesium/sulfur) right before spraying.

:plant grow:

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Wow. Got alot of different answers. A few as lights turn on, as lights turn off, anytime, Dawn and dusk.

I guess it's like everything else, everybody does it different ways, and it works for them.

Got different answers on the stomata being open/closed at night.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Wow. Got alot of different answers. A few as lights turn on, as lights turn off, anytime, Dawn and dusk.

I guess it's like everything else, everybody does it different ways, and it works for them.

Got different answers on the stomata being open/closed at night.

Follow Ibechillin's advice.