What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What PH should i use when foliar feeding with epsom salt ?

MrTonkle

Hello guys every minute counts now i want to foliar feed my plants asap with epsom salt due to the deficiencies caused by a very high PH, im thinking 4.5 but im very unsure :tiphat:

MrTonkle

Heres the girls in question, they are recovering but some abit slow and i want to speed it up abit:woohoo:

Attachments

• 20190212_215639.jpg
    20190212_215639.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190212_224848.jpg
    20190212_224848.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190212_215659.jpg
    20190212_215659.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190212_215432.jpg
    20190212_215432.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190212_215428.jpg
    20190212_215428.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 46

green-genes77

Veteran
The pH of the soil doesn't dictate the pH you should be spraying at. If foliar spraying to deliver ions just keep the pH in the neighborhood of neutral. I usually shoot for 6.0-7.5. Regardless, it isn't going to alter the soil pH in any case. In fact, the foliar Mg is really only going to help incrementally.

With a soil pH as high as you seem to be experiencing I hope you've flushed thoroughly with at least pH balanced water followed by a dilute, complete fertilizer. Absorption through the roots is the only way they'll catch up and even though they can look stressed and overwatered after a flush it is worth it when they recover fully. You can supplement with a foliar, but I would simply go with a complete, soluble fertilizer that includes Mg if you're going to take the time to deliver nutrients by that route.

andl

foliar feed epson salt with 1-2% solution so 1 Litre 10-20 grams at ph 7.4 dont forget to feed also from downside of the leaves because uptake. wait few days and correct your ph dont overfeed them

hope this helps

MrTonkle

The pH of the soil doesn't dictate the pH you should be spraying at. If foliar spraying to deliver ions just keep the pH in the neighborhood of neutral. I usually shoot for 6.0-7.5. Regardless, it isn't going to alter the soil pH in any case. In fact, the foliar Mg is really only going to help incrementally.

With a soil pH as high as you seem to be experiencing I hope you've flushed thoroughly with at least pH balanced water followed by a dilute, complete fertilizer. Absorption through the roots is the only way they'll catch up and even though they can look stressed and overwatered after a flush it is worth it when they recover fully. You can supplement with a foliar, but I would simply go with a complete, soluble fertilizer that includes Mg if you're going to take the time to deliver nutrients by that route.
I ment to ask at what Ph the epsom salt solution should be at for best absorbation when foliar feeding in general since i read that the absorbation could be inhibited at an extremely high/low Ph. Yeah i sure did flush them i had them flushed 3x the medium 2 times with 2 days apart thats when they really started to recuperate, oh yeah iv been using slightly under 6 ph now cause the soil was at 7.5~ then iv been watering with 6.3 ph water. Thanks

MrTonkle

I put some epsom salt in the soil aswell now as a top dressing and very slightly fed them with my nutrient mix, but they still show some symptoms of nitrogen toxicity (i think ?)

Attachments

• 20190214_134202.jpg
    20190214_134202.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 47

MrTonkle

I have some before and after pics since i fed them yesterday both foliar and watered its not much but i do think i can see some differance in their appearance for the better ?

green-genes77

Veteran
They do look better. Yes, absorption is inhibited through the roots and through the stomata if pH is too far out of normal bioavailable range. 6-7.5 is best for all foliar feeding.

To really reveal where your plants are in the process of recovery, I'd suggest a soil slurry test. Really only time will tell.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Next time you do this:

Carefully upturn the pots, with your fingers either side of the stem for support, remove the pot and let the plant root ball and soil break open. Do not worry they can handle all this.

Tease the old soil away.

Get correct pH soil. Fill pot up to the bottom of the tap root.

Dust roots with great white shark or other blended microorganisms.

Whilst holding the plant at the correct height just touching the soil fill the pot up around the roots..

Afterwards water well with more microbes and add more soil to the top after sinkage..

Within three days they will turn around..

If your soil is fucked just change it out.

Do not waste time foliar feeding! Do not waste time trying to ammend from the surface unless youre in flower because that will barely work and the plants will be in too stressed a state to handle the pH swing in flower..

MrTonkle

Next time you do this:

Carefully upturn the pots, with your fingers either side of the stem for support, remove the pot and let the plant root ball and soil break open. Do not worry they can handle all this.

Tease the old soil away.

Whilst holding the plant at the correct height just touching the soil fill the pot up around the roots..

Afterwards water well with more microbes and add more soil to the top after sinkage..

Do not waste time foliar feeding! Do not waste time trying to ammend from the surface unless youre in flower because that will barely work and the plants will be in too stressed a state to handle the pH swing in flower..

Thanks, yes i should have replaced the soil this was terrible i noticed it had been frozen or atleast very cold but couldnt wait to use it so was probably not much organisms in it, 6 weeks in now and the ph is still 7-6.9 was over 7.5 when i got it and didnt really have anything to ph down my 7.2 tap water until 3 weeks had passed since germination for my next grow ill have the soil and water at correct ph from the start :woohoo:

andl

Next time you do this:

Tease the old soil away.

i never hear about or considering this but this makes a lot of sense, good post!

andl

this sounds also to recover reveggin plants , should try that out fresh reoot space and fresh soil with some mycco or root juiuce can get them into life again i think.

good advice

very valuable post if this works!

MrTonkle

this sounds also to recover reveggin plants , should try that out fresh reoot space and fresh soil with some mycco or root juiuce can get them into life again i think.

good advice

very valuable post if this works!

It does work i repotted 3x autos out of 6 and the 3 i repotted with new soil exploded with growth, from shit soil to good soil. So thanks for that tip, and ill have to say even if you have autos DO it if your in bad soil your better of just doing it in worse case u get a little shock, better than having the whole plant dying. I think its obvious which ones had new soil, though i did remove some soil and add some new to the others awell but it didnt do as much as the complete transplant.

Attachments

• 20190317_223927.jpg
    20190317_223927.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190317_223932.jpg
    20190317_223932.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 47

Feykns

I put some epsom salt in the soil aswell now as a top dressing and very slightly fed them with my nutrient mix, but they still show some symptoms of nitrogen toxicity (i think ?)
bro... really? topdress with epsom?? mg is a deflocculant... that kills the base exchange complex. repotting would be the best i guess ... just a bit late now. 😅

Last edited: