What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sativas in Northern California?

Lolo94

Just curious if any dispensaries in northern California carry pure sativa flowers, clones, or seeds? Are there any specialty boutique places catering to sativa officianados? Every strain ive tried from area dispensaries that are sativas (durban, old mother sativa, various haze hybrids, ect) all seem to have indica influence? Ive noticed that Oregon dispensaries seem to carry more sativas. Cookies and Kush everything aren't my thing. The one strain i do like where i feel the indica influence is mostly muted is Red Congolese. Several phenos of Billy Goats Oriental Blue were also impressive, but could still feel the slight Indica influence.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i mite be wrong but i doubt anyone is growing a pure sativa- flowering for double or longer is not what will make the growers $$$... unless people will pay double-or more for their weed... thats why u feel the indica influence ... we were in calif in dec n bought some 'sativa' n it toooo had indica...i smoked a bit, gave the rest away

I wood

Get growing, in just 5-7 months you can have what you want.

My situation is opposite to yours. I grow legally for 5 medical smokers in Michigan who only want gg#4, deadthstar, purple erkle or similarly indica things. Yet I only like sativa or mostly sativa myself.
Being a constant but light consumer overall causes the sativas to pile up, not the worst problem to have.
Sativa seed are so easy to find these days.
Get growing , be happy.

ahortator

Veteran
Get growing, in just 5-7 months you can have what you want.

My situation is opposite to yours. I grow legally for 5 medical smokers in Michigan who only want gg#4, deadthstar, purple erkle or similarly indica things. Yet I only like sativa or mostly sativa myself.
Being a constant but light consumer overall causes the sativas to pile up, not the worst problem to have.
Sativa seed are so easy to find these days.
Get growing , be happy.

That depens on what you call a sativa!

If you consider Super Silver Haze, Jack Herer or Hawaiian Snow as sativas. Then you must be happy. The market is flooded of them.

On the other hand. If for you a sativa is something 100% sativa, these are very bad days. Most if not all commercial sativas carry indica genetics. And true sativa landraces are vanishing in front of our noses at lightning speed.

I wood

That depens on what you call a sativa!

If you consider Super Silver Haze, Jack Herer or Hawaiian Snow as sativas. Then you must be happy. The market is flooded of them.

On the other hand. If for you a sativa is something 100% sativa, these are very bad days. Most if not all commercial sativas carry indica genetics. And true sativa landraces are vanishing in front of our noses at lightning speed.

I’ve been growing 31 years now.
Getting seeds at all used to mean a trip to another country and a risky border crossing or through the mail with risk of confiscation.
About 8 years ago Bodhi was my first true sativa purchase, Colombian black and malawi gold. I felt so lucky to find them. Both kicked my ass as a grower but I did learn much from them. Since then I’ve accumulated over 50 sativas with about 25 of them being pure landrace(allegedly), and about 25 crosses of sativas.
Ghana, Guatemalan, Honduran,Laos purple green, Panama, Ethiopian, Khmer gold, Luang Prabang Laos, Durban, ghandruk giant, Acapulco gold, China Yunnan mountain sativa hashplant, papa New Guinea, and highland Guerrero are some of what I consider pure sativas.
Golden tiger, Mauritius x Ethiopian, highland Nepalese x Vietnam black, zamaldelica and many others are sativa only hybrids.
Tom hill haze, zippolite oaxacan and Bangi Haze aren’t pure sativas but I still like them.
In eight years I have acquired these and more without leaving my house, that seems easy to me.
I’ve been done buying seeds several times in the last few years but interesting things keep popping up.
Ssh, jack Herrer and Hawaiian snow are not sativas, but I would still grow them.
Gotta have them all.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Yeah get a poly tunnel, and some lights indoor and pop a load of ace, cannabiogen, snowhigh and green mountain. Keep cuts, make seeds.

Lolo94

Yeah get a poly tunnel, and some lights indoor and pop a load of ace, cannabiogen, snowhigh and green mountain. Keep cuts, make seeds.

I have been growing for over 30 years and have quite a few sativa and sativa dominant seeds (some not commercially available). My question is in regards to being surprised that there is not more of a market for sativas from legal dispensaries. Many of the advertised sativas are also not pure sativas based on effect. There are plenty of older, well healed folks in northern california who would likely pay more for pure sativas. Think of wine for example. Plenty of people pay alot for particular vintages when they could easily get cheaper and stronger wines. With regards to clones and seeds, the cost of production after the initial grow would be no different than an indica, if clones were used. Most sativas also root alot quicker than indicas. Also, not everyone is comfortable with getting seeds mailed to them.

Even though I have the ability to grow what I want, I also enjoy trying what others have done and don't necessarily want to wait 6 months or more to grow it. There are many niche businesses out there, just curious if they existed for cannabis.

b8man

Veteran
Grow your own Ace sativa and you'll never look back. Highly recommend the Panama x Malawi.

I hope they notice the demand though and start supplying pure sativas - they're so much more fun than the hybrids.

ahortator

Veteran
I’ve been growing 31 years now.
Getting seeds at all used to mean a trip to another country and a risky border crossing or through the mail with risk of confiscation.
About 8 years ago Bodhi was my first true sativa purchase, Colombian black and malawi gold. I felt so lucky to find them. Both kicked my ass as a grower but I did learn much from them. Since then I’ve accumulated over 50 sativas with about 25 of them being pure landrace(allegedly), and about 25 crosses of sativas.
Ghana, Guatemalan, Honduran,Laos purple green, Panama, Ethiopian, Khmer gold, Luang Prabang Laos, Durban, ghandruk giant, Acapulco gold, China Yunnan mountain sativa hashplant, papa New Guinea, and highland Guerrero are some of what I consider pure sativas.
Golden tiger, Mauritius x Ethiopian, highland Nepalese x Vietnam black, zamaldelica and many others are sativa only hybrids.
Tom hill haze, zippolite oaxacan and Bangi Haze aren’t pure sativas but I still like them.
In eight years I have acquired these and more without leaving my house, that seems easy to me.
I’ve been done buying seeds several times in the last few years but interesting things keep popping up.
Ssh, jack Herrer and Hawaiian snow are not sativas, but I would still grow them.
Gotta have them all.

Hello. Getting sativa landrace seeds a few decades ago was as easy as buying good weed on the street and grow the seeds in those buds. Of course you needed money to buy the weed and you were able to choose the strain only to a certain level. Mostly Mexican or Colombian :biggrin: in the USA.

Greetings