What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

From start of cloning to harvest 13 week scrog

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
The title says it all. I started cloning today and plan to harvest in thirteen weeks. My last day of flower will be on January 25th.

I am doing this with nine plants in a 3.5 foot by 3.5 foot area with a 600 watt hps. The plants will start with air layered clones which should take less than two weeks. Then I will give them about 1 week of veg. Then they will get ten weeks of flower. After air layering them they will go into hempy buckets.

Strains are Blue Dream, Bruce Banner #3, and Death Star.

Here is a picture of the first air layered clones. These are Bruce Banner #3.

I will post more later. Have to go pick up my daughter from work.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
So I am back.

It is my belief that a scrog can compete with a sog for productivity. Here is my reasoning for this. A sog relies on multiple plants that are cut off and cloned. A scrog relies on fewer bigger plants to get the same yield. And here is the problem. You need a bigger plant to compete with a sog. What if you had a bigger clone to start your scrog with? Then it takes much less time for the scrog to fill in.

Enter air layering. Air layering is where the clone is rooted still attached to the mother plant.

Here is a picture of a air layered plant I did in 9 days.

The above plant was about 22 inches tall when cut from the mother plant. It went on to be 3 feet tall and 30 inches wide in 41 days from the day I started cloning it. It did this because while attached to the mother the mother feed it and it rooted while being feed by the mother plant. Unlike a clone that is cut from the mother it did not have to rely on internal nutrients to grow roots. Because of this the plant started way ahead of a severed clone.

Now back to the sog verses scrog. If i take my grow size of 42 inches by 42 inches I get (49) 6 inch by 6 inch squares. That would be 49 clones I would need to root. More if some did not root, and more for clones out side of the average. To fast or to slow.

For the scrog I need 9 clones with 49 growth tips that sill spread between all those 6 inch squares. Or 4 clones with 6 growth tips and 5 clones with 5 growth tips. These growth tips need to be 6 to 8 inches long on average.

To get these tips I pinched some branch tips a couple weeks ago. Here you can see what I did.

The pinched branch caused the rest of the branch to spread out. Now I have the length of branches I need for my scrog. I also have branches that will feed the mother plant while my clones root. I will post more latter as I have to go start the rest of the clones. I could only do five earlier.

Till then here is a thread I post to about air layering. It shows the record of the above clone I mentioned that grew to 3 feet in 41 days.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309503

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ok for those who have never seen a air layered plant or have never seen it done here is how I do it.

I use two soda bottles as my cloning container. Inside I use just plain old coco coir. This is real nice as it is also what I use for my plants. Nothing special to have on hand. No root plugs, rock wool, bubble cloner, or ez cloner type set up. Just coco coir and some bottles.

Here is what a air layered clone looks like when it is rooting.

I know nothing fancy right. Well here is a air layered clone compared to some clones taken from the same time and cloned in root riot plugs.

And the same plants in a different view.

Now you see the difference in air layering and cloning in a plug. The plugs are tiny and will take much longer to catch up to the air layered plant. This difference is what I plan to use to do a scrogg with about the same amount of time in veg that a sog has. About one week of veg. For those of you in area that limits the number of plants you can have this cuts 40 plants off of your plant count.

Soon I will post how I air layer so that you can see just how easy it is. And cheap because you really dont need all the extra stuff. But I have to go make cheesy ham potato soup for dinner now.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lemme get my seat right up front.
I agree with you on the sog vs scrog. A good scrog can be equal to a good sog when done right.

This air layering technique has saved my ass recently. I couldnt get anything to clone for shit.

On with the show!

:tiphat:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Full screen is a full screen... just much faster n easier to do sog if ur on top of ur clone game....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Lemme get my seat right up front.
I agree with you on the sog vs scrog. A good scrog can be equal to a good sog when done right.

This air layering technique has saved my ass recently. I couldnt get anything to clone for shit.

On with the show!

I believe so as well. But I have not done a sog because it would eat more than half my plant count per 600 watts.

Full screen is a full screen... just much faster n easier to do sog if ur on top of ur clone game....

I disagree. I think it is much easier to do a air layer than a bunch of clones. If I dont have to do a lot of cuts and instead leave them together as one plant I think it would be just as fast. Instead of cutting a plant to pieces I leave all the pieces together.

But who knows I could be full of poo. We shall see when this thread is done.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran

I should restate what I replied above.

I agree a full screen is a full screen.

I dont believe on the other hand that a sog is faster and easier. Hence the reason for the thread. From what I understand a sog has one week of veg. If that is the case for a sog then a scrog with one week of veg is the same amount of time.

Again a clone that roots while still attached to the mother has endured less stress than a clone that is cut off from the mother and must cannibalize itself to grow roots. I believe that a air layered clone will take off quicker once cut free from the mother.

As for easier nine clones is much easier to do than 49.

But hey I have never done this so lets see what happens.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe that a air layered clone will take off quicker once cut free from the mother.

I'm leaving the air layered branches on longer now. Waiting till I see a well estableshed rootball. I've chopped em after seeing only a few roots, and the plants have taken up to a week to get rolling.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I'm leaving the air layered branches on longer now. Waiting till I see a well estableshed rootball. I've chopped em after seeing only a few roots, and the plants have taken up to a week to get rolling.

I think it is amazing how fast the roots come while still attached to the mother. Just a few days till they are well established from when they first show.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
This is very interesting and I am tuned in. Best of luck.

I thought so too. Glad you are here.

very interesting method! Should it works in coco coir?

I dont see why it wont work.. How well is yet to be determined.

And he decides its time to do a new thread.... :party:

Yes it has been a bit huh. Not as exciting as having snakes like you. Unless you count the mouse that came flying out of my 8 inch fan one time. Funny he just walked around in circles tell I dispatched him to Valhalla.

Edgey

I've been using the air layering since I seen it in your previous thread and it's worked well for me so far , less numbers for me as it's still attached to the mum :)
Keep the updates coming I'm subbed ;)

Edgey

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I've been using the air layering since I seen it in your previous thread and it's worked well for me so far , less numbers for me as it's still attached to the mum :)
Keep the updates coming I'm subbed ;)

Edgey

Yes way less numbers. In fact I could not do this thread with out the lower numbers.

For those who dont know what we mean by lower numbers follow along for a minute. I live in a state that lets me grow legally. But they put a limit on the number of plants I can have. By air layering I can cut out all the numbers that I have cloning.

This is because the plant that I am air layering does not count as a plant till it is cut from the mother. And should I not need the clone I just cut it off above the roots and discard it. Then cut the rooted section off and discard as well. This eliminates all the extra clones I have to take because some may die or get stunted from the shock of cloning.

Because of this as soon as I harvest a fully grown plant I can cut a new one off the mother if it is ready. No waiting till it is harvested to start another clone because of plant numbers.

So about ten days before harvest I start another air layer. And what comes out is a clone that is a month or more ahead of a plug rooted clone. To me this is by far the best way to put more volume threw my grow while still keeping it legal.

Top.Shelf

I hate vegging for long period of time as you guys probably do. Really like the idea of this, I've seen larger clones rooted off of the mother plant before, not sure they were quite the size of your clone but not to far off,it seemed to take a very long time from what i recall due to the woodiness of the stem and also required scarification. Though the results were far less efficient and obviously usual cloning practice takes up more resources.

Following you guys on the other thread too, (big clones..... air layering) but very interested to see how the clone grows on.

Edgey

Don't mean to butt into your thread mate but you always get me thinking with this air layering .
The critical kush I'm revegging is taking up space and it's only going to get binned after its good enough for cuts so I was thinking about trying it on that , reveg a branch rather than a whole plant ......
Well here we are reveg just starting so what better time to try a big branch

Cool thread man, subbed!

Read a lot of your contributions going way back in the PPK threads too.

Curious if u find quality goes up with SCROG - all parts of the plant in great light.