What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moving to CO...need advice.

I was talking to Chloe Vilanno on FaceBook and she was saying how the MED license also allows you to expand you presence in the industry by the ability to grow wholesale amounts of plants you can do breeding projects and the like...without having to be hired to do that for a shop/dispensary.

I have had a dream once of breeding for famous tokers personal stashes once and other ideas...designer breeding, if you will.

shredGnar

I'm with the others.. don't move here.

I'm sure I sound like an asshole, but I'm just being real with you. Every mother fucker and their granny wants to grow weed for a living..

Look into somewhere in the east coast.. Maine maybe

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Move to California instead

Move to California instead

Establish yourself before the laws change growing medically and transition with the law to produce as much quality cannabis as you can for the next 2 or 3 years then move to Colorado to retire. I have dreamed of everyway possible to make this place happen for me but there is no option. Find a friend or four and buy this and make it happen. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/5135360556.html
Worst case you sell and make $200k when the law changes.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
designer breeding think chimera is on that bandwagon...good luck breeders/growers now are like pidgeons in the city...yeehaw... more grow gear gets sold on craigslist and everywhere..

Hydropimp

Veteran
Florida 2016 hopefully

But there is a ton of ppl from florida already there.

Bang out what you do here get right and hold the money tight till 2016.

Thats around the corner.

ppl who jump ship now are light years behind the ones that moved prior and are established

B

Bob Green

I am in the process of moving out to Colorado myself. I already have a decent job lined up in a non MJ related industry or else I might of been looking at Washington. I should be able to make a decent living wedge off of my normal career but it would be nice to supplement my income a bit. Sounds like two years LIVIN and I could apply for a license eh? Does not sound that bad. Time flies fast and two years will fly by no doubt.

Other than that I am somewhat hooked up in the Denver area and I just want to grow the best herb possible. At first just for myself and a small select group of well connected friends. Great herb always has a way of spreading its own reputation. I think if I wait out the two years and build up contacts and skill the rest will follow. If it doesn't work out I was not trying to make a living off of cannabis so no real loss. Just gains life experience. I have a few solid ideas that I believe are not over saturated but I will have a better idea once I spend more time in the area.

@ThePhiloStoned good luck homes! Your situation is a bit rougher but doesn't sound like mission impossible. If you come up with a solid game plan it can definitely work out.

X

xavier7995

I came out here without needing to rely on the industry for a living...bud, you missed your chance. There are hundreds of people going for and qualified for every single growing/selling job, there is a chance some of those small towns in the corners need people, but the major markets are pretty full. Seems to be quite a bit at the 10 buck an hour range, if you can work with that come on out. The pay really doesn't seem to get much above 15 an hour unless you are the head grower...but well you probably aren't that good and that is a title that comes with a long track record.

So that puts you in an ownership situation. Other folks have pointed out that any priors basically make you a no go for any established shops. Double wammy if looking to get mile high. Residency is easy, same as anywhere else, just sign up for a utility/cable and go get a new drivers license. That only qualifies you for the bottom license though, you cannot own anything and are going to be stuck in the 10-15 an hour range. They did just relax the rules around out of state people buying in, but that is a pricey proposition.

X

xavier7995

I am in the process of moving out to Colorado myself. I already have a decent job lined up in a non MJ related industry or else I might of been looking at Washington. I should be able to make a decent living wedge off of my normal career but it would be nice to supplement my income a bit. Sounds like two years LIVIN and I could apply for a license eh? Does not sound that bad. Time flies fast and two years will fly by no doubt.

Other than that I am somewhat hooked up in the Denver area and I just want to grow the best herb possible. At first just for myself and a small select group of well connected friends. Great herb always has a way of spreading its own reputation. I think if I wait out the two years and build up contacts and skill the rest will follow. If it doesn't work out I was not trying to make a living off of cannabis so no real loss. Just gains life experience. I have a few solid ideas that I believe are not over saturated but I will have a better idea once I spend more time in the area.

@ThePhiloStoned good luck homes! Your situation is a bit rougher but doesn't sound like mission impossible. If you come up with a solid game plan it can definitely work out.

Hello and welcome. It is great out here if you can make it:) I think this is the right mindset. If you really like weed and want to work towards it being your career, thats great, but everyone should realize they are likely to fail. It is like moving to LA to become an actor.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello and welcome. It is great out here if you can make it:) I think this is the right mindset. If you really like weed and want to work towards it being your career, thats great, but everyone should realize they are likely to fail. It is like moving to LA to become an actor.

There's still room for "green" job opportunities in Colorado. Salary won't be high....as long as one understands that, accepts that, you can never learn too much on an ever- evolving business, either growing, manicure operations, politics, education. Carving your own niche` ....there's still great prospects. Just like gold miners or others (throngs of people looking to strike precious metals, oil, timber, etc.)....not all became rich.

I wish you prosperity.

B

Bob Green

I have a quick question for you guys. If the bar is set so high, and the market is so over saturated how come everyone is complaining about Colorado rec weed being terrible quality and way overrated?

Last time I was there the only herb I smoked was high quality from local growers but by no means was it any where near the best I had ever seen. Very good yes... but great? Well...

I still think there is room for top notch growers with world class genetics to prosper. I do agree that it takes time, patience, and a large financial investment to do the right way. I do think you would have to cater to the current trends. Well grown SFV, ECSD, GG#4 and the like sells well any place in America. Sure you won't get the same amount of cash as you would in another state but exceptional cannabis is hard to keep in stock. I am thinking maybe just grow for a small select group of really rich folks. About ten millionaires that buy a half pound or so per harvest and I would be happy as a puppy with two peters.

But hey only one way to find out right?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I have a quick question for you guys. If the bar is set so high, and the market is so over saturated how come everyone is complaining about Colorado rec weed being terrible quality and way overrated?

Last time I was there the only herb I smoked was high quality from local growers but by no means was it any where near the best I had ever seen. Very good yes... but great? Well...

I still think there is room for top notch growers with world class genetics to prosper. I do agree that it takes time, patience, and a large financial investment to do the right way. I do think you would have to cater to the current trends. Well grown SFV, ECSD, GG#4 and the like sells well any place in America. Sure you won't get the same amount of cash as you would in another state but exceptional cannabis is hard to keep in stock. I am thinking maybe just grow for a small select group of really rich folks. About ten millionaires that buy a half pound or so per harvest and I would be happy as a puppy with two peters.

But hey only one way to find out right?

I think you can make a direct comparison with buying fire ass weed from small scale local guys to the same as small craft breweries. Extrapolate to large scale breweries (Bud Light) and then large scale warehouse grows. I think it's harder to scale up that love, devotion, time and care that you see in those smaller grows to the warehouse or greenhouse size. That's not to say it isn't being done but there isn't as much of it. I haven't bought dispensary weed in so long I couldn't even tell you but I here it's a mixed bag and can definitely be spendy.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannabis purchased (rec/MMJ) is not cured, which is part of the problem. It's good, not great. It's difficult to have a commodity and turn it around quickly for masses by taking the time normal growers do in harvesting & curing.

And growing for rich folks...Snoop Dog, Willie have their own growers....I'm sure numerous others have that same advantage.

B

Bob Green

My invite to CO came from busting my ass for a decade and a half in a non canna related business. I have a degree in said business. So to tell the truth I don't need the "green rush". I have my own hard earned talents and am not looking to win the cannabis lotto. Just grow the best herb I possibly can and have fun doing it. There is a world of difference between wanting to un realistically get rich off of herb, and supplementing an income doing something I love. If I never sell a gram I will be happy growing my own smoke but I just don't see that happening.

The OP sounds like his expectations are somewhat realistic and is willing to bust ass and work his way up the ladder. Seems like good peeps in a tough situation. I sincerely hope he finds his way. Will he get rich? Most likely no, but I 100% believe he could make a living and be happy not risking life as a slave to the state. If anything he would gain life experience. That's the way normal business is done around the globe. Work, work, work, study,study, study, network, network, network. Cultivating new talents, tricks of the trade, finding folks you vibe with. Build, build, build. Then repeat that process as you climb the ladder. Some get a free pass to the top but I truly believe that hard work beats talent if talent refuses to work hard. Generating momentum and a positive reputation is key.

As for the rec bud being uncured well that is just greedy, and lazy. If they keep those practices up I will steam roll through there asses way too easy. It doesn't take that long to cure bud. It's just part of the process of doing things right. If you have to cut 11 week plants at 9 weeks and package it without a cure just to recover your initial investment then in my opinion you are not the type of competition I would bother worrying about. Unrefined, not dialed inn, uncured, sub par mersh genetics. I mean shit man who wants to be that guy? Easy targets from the sound of it. They are not trying their best and everyone knows it. People are screaming for a better alternative.

Plus when Amstradam style Coffee Shops open up the game will change again and being able to network and make new friends will be a huge bonus. When world class herb is being burned and everybody else is smoking overrated garbage all heads turn to see where that Sublime aroma is coming from, and how can I get some of that? Come on man people on these boards make contacts like that every day weather it's at a party, a canna event, through mutual friends. That is the way of the herb... Always has been.

I started growing in WA State and any top knotch grower I grew up around had his crop spoken for well before it was ever harvested. Not only that but they put limits on how much an individual could purchase. That's how I was taught and seen my entire life. All I have ever known, I do not see that changing any time soon.

Cream always rises to the top.

blays0r

It's worth mentioning that the specific part of CO makes a difference. I have a feeling OP wants to move to the Denver area, which is a LOT more saturated than down south and more difficult to get into the industry.

But it's no lie - the state as a whole is flooded and still getting worse as more towns legalize rec. If you're determined almost anything is possible, but CO is definitely not the easiest place to be successful in the industry.

saluki

ICMag Donor
I'd wait for another state to go recreational and move there. Colorado sounds more than saturated.

blays0r

It's the wild west gold rush again, but that's the be expected. It'd be weird if so many did NOT jump on the opportunities "cropping" up :biggrin:

I remember seeing on the news that they were getting a lot of complaints from visitors to Denver about the frequent smell everywhere you go lol
Beats the hell out of a liquor store on every corner, right?

S

sourpuss

A jobs a job when your a grunt. Love to grow weed. The rest is just work. Trimmin days on end aint as much fun as u think lol...

Latest posts

Latest posts