What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Digital Ballasts: best vs cheap, is there a good middle ground?

Red Fang

Veteran
I am looking at Xtrasun Dimmable 1000 that can go all the way down to 400 and save buying more lamps. Also the Lumatek 250 dimmable down to 150 looks like a good option for early growth. Are these any good? What are the best dimmable digitals or best digitals in general? Any of the cheaper ones any good? I don't think I can spring for a Gavita any time soon. thanks

Granger2

Veteran
Check out Greners. The phantom is the best buy IMO. Good luck. I don't think the 1k's go down to 400 on any of them. -Granger

Red Fang

Veteran

philcollins

if security is an issue...dont use digital ballasts...they ALL give off rf interference....expect a visit from the cable company...

Red Fang

Veteran
I have seen some that have rf shielding or something similar sounding. I have a cheap HTG digital now and have had it for close to a year without issues. I do like the sounds of dimmable though. How much of an issue is this RF anyway? I do live in an area that is not house next to house, pretty far apart in fact several hundred (close to 1000) feet away for the closest. There was a cable guy at one of the neighbors houses several months back but that's about it.

St. Phatty

if security is an issue...dont use digital ballasts...they ALL give off rf interference....expect a visit from the cable company...

I agree, it's wise to consider the RF & EMI signature of a grow op.

That is a great subject for 'further research'.

Problem is, if an engineer+cannabis user wrote an article for IC Mag or High Times, and described the test method ... well, why give LEO any ideas.

Bottom line is, to make sure your grow-op has a neutral signature, in terms of RF.

That means, no conducted or radiated emissions.

For those who are interested, these are some related MIL-SPECS - MIL-STD-461 A, B, C, D, E and F. They consider emissions & susceptibility, emissions is what we are concerned about here.

To neutralize any conducted EMI - on the power-line - a big ass 60 Hz filter would help. (A passband filter, so all it lets through is 60 Hz.)

To neutralize conducted EMI -what works is to wrap the whole thing up in a 'Faraday cage', a fancy way of saying, a metal box. e.g. an ammo can.

St. Phatty

To neutralize conducted EMI -what works is to wrap the whole thing up in a 'Faraday cage', a fancy way of saying, a metal box. e.g. an ammo can.

Dang, can't edit.

what I meant to say here was,

To neutralize radiated EMI -what works is to wrap the whole thing up in a 'Faraday cage', a fancy way of saying, a metal box. e.g. an ammo can.

Red Fang

Veteran
good to know, thanks! I don't know what Mil specs are let alone how to research them. Any help public or private would be great! The chicken wire thing would work for both radiated and conducted? What if you already have finished rooms and tents? You have to create new ones? To put a chicken wire cage in after the fact seems like it could be problematic.

GSPfan

Veteran
So it's not advisable to get cable internet or tv if you have a electronic ballast? I've never heard of this. Although I do know a few people with cable and electronic ballasts with no problems (yet?)

RonSmooth

Veteran
I think the RFI threat may be a bit overstated.

I think the vast majority of people who use digital ballasts never have a problem.

Maybe take a poll?

Granger2

Veteran
Ron Smooth pegged it. Other than maybe cheapo Chinese ballasts, digital ballasts are RF shielded now. All the major brands are. IMO, they're probably not 100%. If your room is completely covered with some form of Alum foil, it will be completely shielded, and, very important, your room will have no heat signature if the law is scanning with IR equipment. I use Prodex, which is foil/foam/foil insulation. Great stuff, super easy to work with, easy install, lite, R-14.5, 1/4" thick. I have walked around my room with an AM radio with grow lights on. No interference. Good luck. -granger

Red Fang

Veteran
Great post! Where can I get Prodex? I saw the Insulation4less website, but anywhere carry it cheaper? Does that thermal insulation they sell at hydro stores work also?

RonSmooth

Veteran
I don't even know that foil will stop RFI. Better off just keeping your ballast away from cable wires and other devices that may be affected. If you are still having issues, get a better ballast.

Id bet the last thing on the cable guys mind when he comes to check out the interference is that it is caused by a digital ballast/marijuana grow. Google some other sources of RFI and use that as your cover. Maybe you are a HAM radio enthusiast trying out some new gear. Tell him you'll take care of it and to have a nice day.

Foil won't protect from thermal imaging. What good would those detectors be if they couldnt see past a sheet of tin foil?

The police are not going to do random thermal imaging fly overs. The supreme court ruled them violation of the 4th amendment. LEO doesnt have to go looking for grows, they get tipped off.

If you are worried about your security forget the RFI and thermal imaging. Don't tell a single person what you are doing, control odors and never throw anything grow related in your regular ttrash.

philcollins

if you have a digital ballast...try playing an am radio nearby...you will know if there is interference...the hydrofarm phantom, a high end ballast that advertised no interference...caused am radio to scramble at 20 ft.....cable guy came over and wanted in to check....

Granger2

Veteran
If you go shopping online for products to shield RFI, you'll find alum. tape, copper tape, etc. Foil will stop both RFI and a footprint that can be seen with thermal imaging equipment.

In my other post I said I walked around the outside of my room with an AM radio and got no interference. My utility lines, including cable, run above and 2 ft next to my room. No inquiries, and my reception on everything is good.

Cops can do thermal imaging to locate growers and then look for other probable cause. Officer was driving by and smelled something.

But I wouldn't follow the strategy of doing nothing, taking no precautions, and waiting till someone comes to your door, then trying to come up with a story. If there's interference they'll stay on it till they find out what's causing it. -granger