What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can this exhaust system work>sooo sorry for all my newbie questions

S

sweetestsin420

hola mis amigos! que pasa?

i have another question lol,for my upcoming grow.
i made a new diagram lol..but people dont seem to wanna help me?whats up? :huggg:

i dont have ducting,and dont wanna buy some,unless i find some in home depot thats not insulated..do they sell regular ducting in HD?

I already bought all my drip system material,got plenty of nutrients,coco,strains,just need to figure out the closet itself..lol

so in this new plan,bascially my closet has another smaller cupboard right above the closet,since i dont have ducting.

i was planning on having the filter on the top cupboard,with the fan directly on it,pulling air through the filter..and into the attic..

the thing is,is this even possible??here the diagram,please guys im starting soon..so i need to set it up right.

so basically..will the filter still scrub the air,or does the carbon filter have to be in the room,and the odors go into the side?

or i can flip the carbon filter upside down,and have the fan first sucking air and blowing it through the filter?what will work?please helppp!

rangergord

It is best to suck through the filter rather than blow through it BUT it is allowable to blow thru the filter. You should put the prefilter inside the carbon filter to prevent premature clogging. Exhausting the air from the building may not be possible when blowing through the filter.

yerboyblue

That will work. I personally like pushing thru the filter as well, basically eliminates that concern of a leak due to cheap ducting and other stuff. Just remember to put a filter on your fan so you don't put dirt into it. Also filter the intakes like sid said. If you are running more than a couple lights in the room I would recommend investing in another fan and a thermostat for the intake to keep the temps down.

S

sweetestsin420

no no i think you guys mistook me,i dont think im blowing through the filter,the thing is,i dont have ducting to do it "properly"...so im placing my filter in a little space above my closet,like a seperate space,and then sit my fan right on top of the filter,pulling air into the attic.

the thing is i dont know how filters work..mine only has one flange to connect ducting..the other is bascially shut?...how do filters work...im worried since the filter wont even be in the grow room,that it wont have any way to filter/exhaust..

do filtersd work "inline" or does the odors go through the sides?

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Although I think inline are available, most are not, and draw air through the sides as you say.
So no, it would not work as pictured.

S

sweetestsin420

^ty 3 knight..so the filter has to be either in the grow room,or pushing air through it into another room pretty much?

do you guys know if homedepot sells normal ducting..all i see on their website is insulate ducting,and i really dont wanna use that stuff..its bad for the lungs.and on the same side,i dont wanna order from an online store due to shipping costs,i found all my dripper conponents on homedepot.

the air goes through the sides of the filter...then out the back flange into your ducting

home depot should sell normal ducting i bought tons of it there before

if you gotta use insulated ducting just tape the ends so no fiberglass works its way out...its way quieter than normal ducting

fungzyme

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but I see 2 fairly big problems.
1) The one passive intake thats right below the exhaust duct/hole will pull in most all of the air and it will go straight up the right side, leaving not much airflow through the whole rest of the cabinet. Air takes the shortest/easiest route from entrance to exit.

2) potentially a bigger problem, at least the way you drew your diagram, is that your filter is sitting with the capped end on top of the ducting, blocking any airflow. Maybe that's not what you're doing, but filters work when all the surface area is pulling in (or pushing out) the growroom air, and the sides are where this occurs.

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
why your carbon filter got a duct in its butt?? you are very close to gettin it right babe...keep up the hard werk!

picture.php

Ruosk

There's no inline fan? Doubt it would work... If you've already bought hydroponic system, seeds, lights etc get air exchange right too. The same place you got the drip system and coco from will help you with that.

S

sweetestsin420

flybynight lol,cus im an idiot haha..im working on a new design though,ill get there eventually,and really?guess i gotta go back to hd lol

and ruask i have a 6in fan,strong too,just no ducting,

fungyme,thats very interesting,my original plan and what iv always read was to put your intake low,and on opposite sides of the exhaust,so the fresh air can blow through the plants themselves,but i figured 2 intakes are better than none?

anybody agree with fungyme?just one intake,on the opposite end of the closet?itll be easier lol

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
flybynight lol,cus im an idiot haha..im working on a new design though,ill get there eventually,and really?guess i gotta go back to hd lol

and ruask i have a 6in fan,strong too,just no ducting,

fungyme,thats very interesting,my original plan and what iv always read was to put your intake low,and on opposite sides of the exhaust,so the fresh air can blow through the plants themselves,but i figured 2 intakes are better than none?

anybody agree with fungyme?just one intake,on the opposite end of the closet?itll be easier lol

Yeppers.:tiphat:

S

sweetestsin420

ok will this one work lol

one passive intake,on the far side of the closet,with a 6in fan pulling air from the closet INTO the carbon filter.now the problem i see is can i use this method,without venting into the attic or w.e..

the crawlspace where the filter will be will be closed,so anybody see any problems with this design?i already drilled the hole (NOT EASY)

S

sweetestsin420

also,my room does not have an a.c,and ill be using two 400 watter hung vertically,but being winter,will it be cool enough?how many more temps above my room ambient will the 2 400's create?,im in a pretty tropical place,so winters are not that cold to begin with

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Now you're getting there! Here's the thing though, now you have neg pressure in the closet(good) but you have pos pressure in the crawlspace. The pos pressure will force air somewhere, the question is where.

On the bright side it will be non stinky air so if it escapes to the outside you're golden.

S

sweetestsin420

3coast,the "crawlspace" is actually just another,smaller closet,with closing doors,its not like an attic or something,by problem do you mean smell or heat,or both?

ill keep the crawlspace shut tight,even with trashbags if i have to,smell is not a concern for me,heat kinda is though,ill do a trial run soon lol,thank you so much fellas!*kisses*

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
heh grl u want the carbon filter /canfan hooked up to a cruise temp control. , u kinda almost had it, just u cant run a duct throught carbon filter the filter is good enough on its own,....hope this makes sence to ya , goodf luck sweetE
TS

S

sweetestsin420

^lmao,what??no cruise control lol,ill be running it 12/12,and a few times during the dark cycle to exhaust stale humid air.