What's new

An Interesting Answer to No-Knock Warrants

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is amazing to me that the proliferation of warrantless searchs, no-knock warrants, and the wrong houses being targeted has gone so far off the rails that state legislatures are reacting this way. This looks like a veto of the Supreme Court decision that there is “no right to reasonably resist unlawful entry by police officers.”

Link

Indiana First State to Allow Citizens to Shoot Law Enforcement Officers
Monday, June 11, 2012

Police officers in Indiana are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes. It was signed by Republican Governor Mitch Daniels in March.

The first of its kind in the United States, the law was adopted after the state Supreme Court went too far in one of its rulings last year, according to supporters. The case in question involved a man who assaulted an officer during a domestic violence call. The court ruled that there was “no right to reasonably resist unlawful entry by police officers.”

The National Rifle Association lobbied for the new law, arguing that the court decision had legalized police to commit unjustified entries.

Tim Downs, president of the Indiana State Fraternal Order of Police, which opposed the legislation, said the law could open the way for people who are under the influence or emotionally distressed to attack officers in their homes.

“It’s just a recipe for disaster,” Downs told Bloomberg. “It just puts a bounty on our heads.”

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
People can say what they want about Republicans but I'd like to see a Liberal enact something like this. This is GREAT news. Too bad I live further south...

igrowone

Veteran
this should have quite the reduction in the casual cop break ins that have been going on over the years
this is more libertarian than republican(i think), we'll see if any other states move in this direction

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
this should stop the cops just breaking down doors before checking and double checking that they have the right place and the right legal warents to be doing it. win win imo.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Haha, that is so cool!

Though I hate cops I dont really think they should be shot... hopefully this helps prevent unlawful entries from happening in the first place.

Skip

Veteran
First thing I've ever agreed with the NRA on.

Yes, this is very important. Why? Because it allowed the police to break the law.

Unlawful entry, is just that, UNLAWFUL, ILLEGAL. So it is the police committing a crime, a crime so dangerous that it risks innocent lives. Thus a homeowner (or renter) has every right to defend themselves when faced with such a dangerous situation.

In so many cases the residents don't even know it's the police because they attack the house without warning, wearing black, heavily armed, with fingers on the triggers.

Once upon a time, back in Nixon's day, I got busted on a No-Knock search warrant. As far as I know those were made illegal long ago...

But now they have Homeland Security and terrorism, so they can do whatever they damn well please, laws notwithstanding.

Yes, when it comes to Social Libertarianism, they've got it right. It's their Economic Libertarianism that has ruined our economy. Big difference between the two.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once upon a time, back in Nixon's day, I got busted on a No-Knock search warrant. As far as I know those were made illegal long ago...

Not the case, Skip. This is from wikipedia "In the US, a no knock warrant is a warrant issued by a judge that allows law enforcement officers to enter a property without immediate prior notification of the residents, such as by knocking or ringing a doorbell. In most cases, law enforcement will identify themselves just before they forcefully enter the property. It is issued under the belief that any evidence they hope to find can be destroyed during the time that police identify themselves and the time they secure the area, or in the event where there is a large perceived threat to officer safety during the execution of the warrant."

The article goes on to state that the usage of these warrants went from 3,000 in 1981 to 50,000 in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-knock_warrant

irobot sd

Tim Downs, president of the Indiana State Fraternal Order of Police, which opposed the legislation, said the law could open the way for people who are under the influence or emotionally distressed to attack officers in their homes.

“It’s just a recipe for disaster,” Downs told Bloomberg. “It just puts a bounty on our heads.”

Good read rives.

Officers are emotionally distressed & attack people in their homes

you shouldnt be allowed guns... for the civilian population, it means sometimes a nutter could own one, and end up killing innocents, which happens in america regularly
not even the cops in the UK have guns and our gun crime is minescule compared to US

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
This is amazing news! I hope other states take similar actions, we need our fricking rights back. I know it won't be immediate change but slow progression is a start if we really start. Glad to hear the NRA was helping with that 1.

LOL to the Knock Knock Boom! Some of you guys are funny. Be safe out their my brothers and sisters and take care 1

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
This may work in favor of weed reform. If cops are scared to serve manufacturing warrants they might curb anti-reform lobbying.

IMO, it's a crazy solution to a bad problem that still needs a fix. These types of solutions tend to make more problems, not less. The NRA is off it's rocker.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
ok....funny story....here in canada we are not allowed hand guns...unless you have a special permit(cop/security guard...ect)

here is one guy(an aleged cocaine dealer) who was sleeping in his house and heard a break in...he got his gun and started shooting through the bedroom door....killed a cop and wounded a few others...he was arrested...

not guilty of murder...

here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Parasiris

Latest posts

Latest posts