What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question on pollinating

talos4

Lets say I have Silver Haze, Northern Lights, White Widow, and Super Skunk going. Can I take pollen from the Northern Lights and pollinate one branch of the White Widow (that's a good cross) and Silver Haze pollen and pollinate a different White Widow branch, and get two different kinds of seeds at the same time? Also, how do you know what will make a good cross? How do I know lets say if Super Skunk and Northern Lights makes a good cross? Is there any resource out there where you can get info on what makes a good cross and what doesn't, or can you cross any two MJ plants and get results?

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
You would know that Superskunk and Northern lights will work, is that both have been bred many times and all quality genes. Of course you may get some off breds, but anytime you use two quality strains you are gonna get some good seeds.

I am not sure about the different pollen on same plant, but I cannot see why not, just using my basic knowledge of a plant.

I would love to see how you plan on doin this, pollen is like super sperm, and is lighter than the air, and is microscopic.

talos4

i usually pollinate just one branch by the plastics bag over the branch and tie off. but need to know if you can do multiple branches with different pollen. but ya might be safer to just do one plant with same pollen so there no cantamination. lets see what others say.. i think if you put small amount of pollen on an artists brush and carefully brushed just one flower you would probably be ok, but not sure. i never have had pollen really drift and pollenate a branch i didn't want, but with making seeds you would really want to be sure

Last edited:

FarmerTed

I have pollenated multiple bud sites on the same plant each with a different strain. Works no problem. If you want to be sure all your seeds are 100% what you want them to be i'd say only do one at a time. I try to be really careful but sometimes still end up with a seed or two in buds i didnt intentionally pollinate. Now i cant be sure the ones i did are 100% "pure". Another thing, if you keep multiple males together they are dropping pollen on each other which could result in mixed pollenation of a bud you think is only getting pollen from one male. To ensure 100% purity, only have one male dropping pollen. I cut the others back and dont allow them to develope pollen sacs at anytime during the seed making process until seeds are harvested. Good luck-FT

T

toodles

I had WAY MORE success than I wanted pollinating when doing my SSH x SSH cross. I wasn't careful and ended up with probably 2000 seeds LOL from 3 different moms.

The good news is it didn't hurt potentcy and I'll have seeds forever.

You can pollinate two different branches with different pollen. As said, you'll need to cover them with baggies and turn off any fans and blowers while pollinating. I used a small soft cael hair paintbrush.

I didn't do this, but I've read somewhere here that spraying the bud with water(assume it's distilled, or pH corrected?) about 1/2 hour after pollinating. This is supposed to kill or settle pollen and keep it from contaminating the other buds.

And get rid of the males as soon as possible. I didn't and that was part of my over pollination problem.

I'm growing out the first of my own SSH x SSH seeds now. 7th week of flower.

Good luck. Making your own seeds turned out to be fun IMO. You can save a shit load of money and hassle too.

Toodles

talos4

I guess I'll cover the plant with a garbage bag except for the branch I'm doing, then use an artist brush to pollinate the branch, then cover that branch with a plastic bag, then wait an hour and do another branch. I won't remove any bags until I'm sure things have settled. Any branch that I don't label that happens to get pollinated those seeds will get tossed. Just need to know what would be good to cross. I'll have White Widow, Norhern Lights, Silver Haze, Mazar, and White Rhino all going at once. I could make a lot of different seeds with one grow with the multiple branch method