What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ogre's DIY Ebb & Grow / Multi-Flow Controller Tutorial

OgreSeeker

SumDumGuy,
Thanks for the kind words. It's nice to know that someone will get some use out of this thread. It took MUCH longer to create this thread than first anticipated.
You got it right about the floats...the space between the LLH / LLL and HLH / HLL is what keeps the pump from kicking on-off-on-off-on-off if the water were to slosh around. The pumps are suppose to kick on and off but there should be some time in between the on-off phase (10 seconds to a couple of minutes).
I created labeled pics for the wiring because I had such a hard time understanding how the floats were wired together and how they hooked to the relay/timer.
Your 1/2" line will be perfectly fine. Your controller will keep water levels in check.
I prefer larger 3/4" lines because I'll be filling around 50 buckets and I need it to fill / drain as quickly as possible.

P.S.
Sweet pics! I'm not familiar with that site...you should bring your album over here :rasta:

Last edited:

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Very Much Appreciated!

Very Much Appreciated!

Thankyou OgreSeeker!! For the information provided and for your kind words as well. I will be using this bucket system to the fiullest. And when I see that I've picked up my own skill sets - I'll go even lager like yourself. Boy 50 buckets - that's massive!!! Super impressive nonetheless... I will be bringing my album here as well just need to start uploading :)

Just a little disappointed with AN. I purchased nearly 400 bucks worth of nutes for my last grow only to yield that of which my previous FF gave me. Going to use the Lucas formula this time around and testing the "keep it simple" ethic most seem to practice. Thanks again man and keep it growing!!!

OgreSeeker

For me it was because I already had most of the parts to build the multi-flow. I prefer DWC but didn't want to buy a chiller, lids / net cups and air pumps to run 50 buckets.
I also wanted to try my hand at E&F. I've been seeing wonderful results from people who've been using the multi-flow systems.

Thanks man, you might be right about the distance between the two upper floats...I didn't quite understand the system before but I have a better grasp now. I'll take a look at my bucket tonight (its in storage) and see what that distance is.
You hit it right on the head! it would stop and start rapidly when it was "full" no real time in between for shut off.
might haft to build a new one sometime, if I do I'll use your guidence. peace

OgreSeeker

Budweiser13,
I didn't even see your comment til now. THANKS MAN, I appreciate that!

Sloppy Seconds,
I felt the same way. I was kind of building blind with the other tutorials. Now that I've actually built it, it all seems so simple. The main problem with the other controller tutorials is the wiring seemed to be wrong. I ironed all that stuff out to make it easier for the next controller builder :)

Budweiser13

Thanks again for the detailed tutorial this one should be right up there with krypto and HOG. I built the krypto system for a friend 20 buckets. I have yet to run this myself I will probably build the next controller just like this one. The reason they use 2 switches is to make the relay latched do a search on latching relays one switch keeps the relay on then when the next one is engaged the relay turns off so not to jump the pumps on and off so much. Any way I have seen this system in action and it can produce.... :rasta:

V

vhGhost

Great Job Ogreseeker ! and thank you .

I do love ebb/flow myself .. flood every 4 hours and nothing could be easier
(more often when in veg)

Edit - how often do you flood ?

Last edited:

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
ok thats it, you win , your the man hands down!!! not to dis, but WAY more clear and concise than the instruct for the krypto controller.

well best par tis i have most of the parts and the floats for this system are clearly stated and can be easily found!!! will get back into the game and be building a couple of these for the hydro runs i wanna do for my new flower cab.

sorry im a guy that truly does need specifics and believes in them when it comes to projects like this. the pics are clear, the cords and lines are clearly places, clean cut instructions. . . yeah for me im glad i got frustrated with the krypto controller, god bless him for what krypto did for us, but this is more my speed, and i have to say again, i cant get over those floats!!! no guessing!! best part about it!!! since they are the most important part.

OgreSeeker- thanks so much dude!!! i really really REALLY appreciate this.

OgreSeeker

Budweiser13 said:
Thanks again for the detailed tutorial this one should be right up there with krypto and HOG. I built the krypto system for a friend 20 buckets. I have yet to run this myself I will probably build the next controller just like this one. The reason they use 2 switches is to make the relay latched do a search on latching relays one switch keeps the relay on then when the next one is engaged the relay turns off so not to jump the pumps on and off so much. Any way I have seen this system in action and it can produce.... :rasta:

Hey Bud, thanks for the info on latching. I wish I would have learned that term before trying to figure this thing out. I didn't really get the concept of the 4 floats before I actually made it the first time. I mean I "got it" but I didn't fully "get it" if you know what I mean. It's all so simple now!
Yes this system CAN PRODUCE!!

vhGhost said:
Great Job Ogreseeker ! and thank you .

I do love ebb/flow myself .. flood every 4 hours and nothing could be easier
(more often when in veg)

Edit - how often do you flood ?

Thanks vhghost. That means alot coming from you! I also flood 4 times daily and once during lights off. Sometimes I'll do a top drip until the roots get established, then I'll switch it over to E&F.

FRANKENBLUNT420 said:
ok thats it, you win , your the man hands down!!! not to dis, but WAY more clear and concise than the instruct for the krypto controller.

well best par tis i have most of the parts and the floats for this system are clearly stated and can be easily found!!! will get back into the game and be building a couple of these for the hydro runs i wanna do for my new flower cab.

sorry im a guy that truly does need specifics and believes in them when it comes to projects like this. the pics are clear, the cords and lines are clearly places, clean cut instructions. . . yeah for me im glad i got frustrated with the krypto controller, god bless him for what krypto did for us, but this is more my speed, and i have to say again, i cant get over those floats!!! no guessing!! best part about it!!! since they are the most important part.

OgreSeeker- thanks so much dude!!! i really really REALLY appreciate this.

Hey man I appreciate it right back!! These DIY threads are harder to put together than they look and I'm glad you'll be able to use it.
I'm the same way...I need detailed, labeled instructions and even then I have a hard time figuring things out. Hell, my wife has to put up the tent when we go camping HAHA. That's what two decades of smoking elite strains will do to ya.
Thanks again for the love, bro.

Last edited:

OgreSeeker

lotowork777 said:
Where do you get the time:?

It only took me about an hour to build the controller once all of the parts arrived.
I hurt my back so I took a week of vacation time from work. After the first day I was bored outta my mind so I decided to document my controller build.
As you know...we find the time to do the things we love :rasta:

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
golly i feel like a schmuck!!, ive been so busy withthe cab im building and the fence i promised the wife i woud put up around the yard , that i totally forgot about this thing, but the instructs are tagged so no worries

anyway i still have to order the switches , still have everything else though, thank god!! lol

dont worry ogre, ill keep my promise!!!

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
is the number of buckets you can run only limited to the size of the rez,i have been kicking the idea of a system like this around ,but there are problems ,one is it dont have a flat playing field ,may this weekend i can take some pictures and see what comes of it

OgreSeeker

FRIENDinDEED said:
golly i feel like a schmuck!!, ive been so busy withthe cab im building and the fence i promised the wife i woud put up around the yard , that i totally forgot about this thing, but the instructs are tagged so no worries

anyway i still have to order the switches , still have everything else though, thank god!! lol

dont worry ogre, ill keep my promise!!!

Hey hey what's up FB. I know you will.
I must be slipping or stoned...didn't even know anyone had replied to this thread lately. Just don't forget to add your opinions and problems/solutions (if any) that you encounter here. Pics would be appreciated to wink wink :rasta:
Stay safe bro.

wantaknow said:
is the number of buckets you can run only limited to the size of the rez,i have been kicking the idea of a system like this around ,but there are problems ,one is it dont have a flat playing field ,may this weekend i can take some pictures and see what comes of it

It's important for all the buckets to be level even if you have to "block" some of your buckets to get them level.
The number of buckets in your system is limited by your res size and the time it takes to fill/flood all the buckets.

SubArctic7

Outstanding tutorial! I've been preparing to start growing again and have been kicking around what method to use. I finally settled on ebb and flow today and consider myself lucky to have found your tutorial when I got home and started browsing the board.

Thank you! I'll be sure to take a few pictures once I have it built.

b1vwrf13

Some little improvement IMHO to and already excellent tutorial

Some little improvement IMHO to and already excellent tutorial

I have build the controller few weeks ago and it is being put to use since then. Works flawlessly.

The procedure is extremely well documented and illustrated. Many thanks to OgreSeeker and the individuals before him that have dedicated their time and effort to bring this tutorial to our community.

I would add a warning at the picture that says something like " that's exactly how your controller should look after installing the float valves". If you look at the picture it does not necessarily jump to all eyes that the two bottom valves are in the open position - hanging down - and the top ones are in the close position - completely vertical. It took me (I am probably a little bit dense) few hours, to figure it out, not before changing the two upper valves, redoing the connection two times etc.

The second element is that the electronic connectors color are there for a purpose, they match certain wire size, the yellows are for 10-12 wire size, the blue for 14-16 and the red for 18-22. Not often critical but using an oversize connector let say a blue connector for a wire size 22 - the float valve connector wire size would make for a loose connection.

Beside those two elements again a great tutorial, thanks again.

onahah

Controller

Controller

I was wondering if this type of controller would be suitable to be used on a DWC system. I was also wondering if anyone could leave a link or a few pics about a RES. I read blazes tutorial on the recirculating DWC but he uses a different type of float switch and i already have the FLT231's so i wanted to go with a controller like this one.

Would i be able to build a exact one like this, but only use one pump, the one in the RES, and connect it to the outlet that gets triggered by the lower float switches to begin to fill the bucket untill it has reached the high switches? That way i only fill water when the buckets suck it up? Then the switches timer slots would all have to be pulled out so its constantly ready to pump water? Eh..?

I was actually just thinking, If i didnt want to flood/drain at certain times i wouldnt even need a timer would i?

Last edited:

Apollo11

onahah said:
I was wondering if this type of controller would be suitable to be used on a DWC system. I was also wondering if anyone could leave a link or a few pics about a RES. I read blazes tutorial on the recirculating DWC but he uses a different type of float switch and i already have the FLT231's so i wanted to go with a controller like this one.

Would i be able to build a exact one like this, but only use one pump, the one in the RES, and connect it to the outlet that gets triggered by the lower float switches to begin to fill the bucket untill it has reached the high switches? That way i only fill water when the buckets suck it up? Then the switches timer slots would all have to be pulled out so its constantly ready to pump water? Eh..?

I was actually just thinking, If i didnt want to flood/drain at certain times i wouldnt even need a timer would i?

DWC and Multi-flow buckets are a different animal completely. If your buckets were flooded all the time then your roots would die from lack of O2. You get away with your roots flooded all the time in DWC because it is constantly aerated.

I think Haps has built a system that is similar to what you are describing (His Tidal system), you might wanna look him up.

Latest posts

Latest posts