What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Macro Photography

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Just wondered if anyone had knowledge of how people take those real close ups. Maybe I shouldn't say how but rather what you need to do it.

Some of those photos are zoomed in on the trichomes so BEAUTIFULLY

I wanna learn how to do that too

R00KIE

Depending on what kind of cam you have and it's abilities you could be limited in what you can do...
I started with a magnifying glass and moved up to attach a 10x loupe to the end of my cam.
Works out great fits perfectly and all I have to do is use the regular picture mode, no macro, zoom in a bit till I get rid of the metal rings in the pic from the loupe, then autofocus and click...
Tripods are very usefull, as well as using the timer to take the pic... Any little movement at that magnification will blur the image.
Take lots of shots, they may look ok on the cam but they may not on the comp...
Good lighting is important... Enough so that you can use no flash, without your cam compensating by lengthening the exposure.
These are just a few tips, and I am by no means an expert in photography... :D
Here's a couple pics with a loupe on the end...

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Thanks for your help. And ROOKIE those are some nice shots and thanks for your technique. I would have never of thought to do that.

Thanks again

Xtrakritical

Sup damakkus,
Im also trying to get a hold of good closeups with an average digi cam... lol

R00kie and I use the same technique, with the jewlers loupe in front the lens...
I learned having 2 sets of rechargable batteries (if possible), sux to have the camera die just as you get into a groove! :badday: :pointlaug

One thing people seem to forget (and I actually tried to explain it to someone in chat to no avail!) is that we set our cams picture quality to the highest resolution.
once we take the photo from the camera/memory card and view it on the PC,
windows will automatically resize it to fit in your screen so you can view the whole pic... (Important) If you click on the image and view full size, it will be huge and you will have to scroll left to right, and up and down to see that part of the image... you follow? :joint:

Now is when I use a photo editing program, (I use adobe photoshop) to crop and resize the image... Cropping the pic lets you really zoom-in, and cut away the outter portions... thats diffrent then say just taking a pic a resizing it and uploading.

WE have a lot to learn, but sure is fun when we have such sexy models! :D

Great Pics R00k!

Thanks for the link tuco!
man if I could get a flash ring! lol

Xtra

damakkus

West Coast ICer
whats up xtra, thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I am working on getting a new camcorder. I always thought people used regular cameras for those close ups. I picked up a 30x 21mm loupe off ebay. At least that is a start.
If you are able to pick a new comcorder, which one would you choose? I have NO clue on what to buy but I was looking at an Everio I think it is a 2MP CCD.

I hope its cool to link to it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&coliid=I3GSTSSWGT50R5&colid=3HJAC566T2NJ2

Is that good enough? The higher the MP's the better? There are some that are 5MP but man I dont have that kinda money right now. Honestly I dont have it for the 2MP either with Christmas and all, so Im just looking right now and there is no rush. Maybe, if I have a good harvest.

Xtrakritical

Hey Damakkus, My cam is a kodak easyshare with 5 mp, not the best camera. but it's pretty cheap on ebay...

I have no experience with those combo cam/corders, so Im really not sure.

could you imagine takin pics with a regular film camera, and having to get all those rolls of film developed! then still have half of them out of focus! I love technology! lol

Man I hope you have a great harvest!!! (maybe we can both get new cameras!) lol

Xtra
AH 420 posts :joint:

Last edited:

tuco

Xtrakritical was spot on with using an image editing program. have to use it to get the most out of your pics.

here is a pic i took with a 8mp cam taken in super-macro mode. then zoom in and crop with photoshop.

couple of things i learned during shooting.

turn off fans.

get a tripod.

i set to super-macro and full manual mode on my camera. and set the apeture to its maximum F-Stop which will give me the greatest DOF (depth of field) and a better chance of getting a nice crisp section that i can crop. adjust the shutter speed to the correct exposure time. i get within 2-4 cms of the bud. set a timer delay (keep your hands off the camera!). take the pic.

no flash in super-macro mode. thats why i use the tripod.

open it up in a image editing program. you should take your pic at the highest resolution. i shot this pic at 3200x2600 pixels. when i post a pic on a forum like this, i think 800x600 pixels is a good size...so on that 3200 pixel orginal i can zoom in about 75% :yummy:

1294841.jpg

so then zoom in and find a section i like. select and crop. this is the closest i can get before the picture becomes pixelated.

1294842.jpg

here is a larger section, crispier :yummy:

12948P1010014.jpg

damakkus

West Coast ICer
You guys are awsome, I got my digital camera out, one of the originals made so dont laugh, and put a magnifying lens to it and WOW. They are no where near like your alls photos.
I see what you guys mean about using a tripod. I couldn't stay steady holding the camera and the mag lens together.
tuco, you got a good camera, 8MP or is it a comcorder? Either way I think you guys should enter the contest if you didnt already.
Can I ask you guys another question about the lighting. I have my gals under the 600hps lamps when I take photos and they suck they are just plain ugly. How do you guys get the nice looking shots? I think you know what I mean, all my pica are orange even if I use flash. Close up or not. The photos I take under the mh are way better looking but not clean shots.

Finally what happens if you dont turn your fans off. Is that why my camera display has lines going through it while I am in my grow room?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

milo_xxx

Stress Tester/Plant Torturer
Veteran
you guys are using digital cameras right? Not Camcorders.
I am looking to get a Kodak EasyShare 8MP. That should at least get me started right?
Or can I take really nice macros, like the ones that Xtrakritical and tuco took, with this? (with a little practice of course :bigeye: )

tuco, you are not using anything to magnify other then your camera correct?

peace :joint:

R00KIE

If you buy a new cam, make sure to get an slr like camera.... There are quite a few, just look at anything with 10x optical zoom..
The olympus sp 510uz is a great cam from what I have read of the reviews.... It's in the 350cdn price range but it's really no more expensive than the compacts that don't have the zoom....

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Yeah, I am getting confused with the abreviated "cam" is that camera or camcorder? Because I was thinking about the digital canon xti I think it is. Its cause I already have lenses. But that is 8MP I think. Do you need any special Lens?
Now you guys have me getting my hopes up. I have been wanting that camera for a while.

R00KIE

Well if you have the cash to get an Slr get that..
By Cam i mean camera, i'd never use a camcorder to take pics, the quality and capability just aren't there.
If you have all the lenses for a Regular 35mm camera then you could get an slr camera and be set for a long time...
Slr's are expensive though, like 1000 bucks, for a good one 650-700 for a good but cheaper one...
That cannon looks like a great cam... Well priced too, if you have all the lenses you can buy just the body of the camera...

Last edited:

Xtrakritical

yeah I was lookin at the slr cameras but they are out of range for me atm...

I am using a 5mp digital (kodak dx4530) camera, and a 10x jewlers loupe handheld in front of my cameras lens.... I would stay away from camcoders for pics, unless you already have one.

Xtra

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
canon A460 powershot 10 mp with a 1cm - 45cm macro setting £250
mines just arrived nice :yummy:

Xtrakritical

lol Men at work! cool
congrats on ur new cam!!!

I forgot to mention my last post the reason you shut off the fans, is so that the plant you are shooting doesnt catch a breeze and move and blur your shot!

xtra

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
photomacrography.net (old site still AWESOME pics)

photomacrography2.net new site

between these two sites it has everything you will need for the best macro photography.

a decent camera and a good macro lens will get you what you need. if you want some real close ups check out the canon mp-e 65mm

a pic of what this baby can do, imo one of the best macro lenses out there.
http://www.naturepixel.com/taon_tete_mpe65_25x_24.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts