What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do wrong right

rykus

its a bit stress full some days, lol, other times i just am walking through the jusgle smoking joints and smelling flowers until my nose is black,lol... but yeah turning these every two days and watering training, it can be overwhelming if your not systematic...

got my roll on though, i can be in an out of 30-60 lighters in about three hours average.

abviously there are longer days too but that is average.... gotta stay busy ya know or youll end up lazy.lol

O

OG Tree Grower

Always impressed by these updates. Killin it man. I'll drum up some questions for sure but I just heard the salmon fishing is heating up so I'm gonna take a breather for a week and do some fishing, you guys keep killin it !

rykus

Thanks again for the props OG tree grower! Best part is I've only spent like a G so far maybe on supplies.... Few days of labour for the helper, and hydro.

My plants IMO have rarely been healthier even back in the good ole hydro days, and it just seems too easy top dressing organics... I just put a 5 gal on the base of a broken roller stool, then roll on a nice new one and add about 3/4-1 cup per 15 gal every ten days r so and they just love it.

I've been alternating alfalpha/kelp/glacial rock with fish and crab/oyster shells for veg and early bloom. Then in mid bloom I drop the fish n crab for bonemeal and gypsum and stop the alfalpha near the end too..easy though and they just seem to love it, I've been adding massive at 400 ml per 60 gallon barrel rot keep ph around 6. Killing!

Need to learn about my feeds more though, I know I'm. Missing a few key this yet... Learning too, always.

O

OG Tree Grower

Here I go again

Here I go again

Ok complied a few questions

1- 3 crops in a row? You don't have a backup exhaust bro? I know u run high temp shut offs so did you actually kill the crop or just harvest shity tops?
2- tell me about 600 w vertical lighting. I'm a 1000w man, always thought I needed it if I was going over 5 feet with plants. But yours look great. How's density on the top and bottom?

3- do you yield the same with per watt with 600 opposed to 1000w?

4- how the hell do you get 2+ in dirt with organics? Honestly if I didn't see the Picts my self is be skeptical. I'm tempted to totally copy you for a run. My life would be so much easier if I could use dirt at one spot. Unfortunatly I have a tendency to kill dirt plants without notice. They just don't like me. But after reading all your posts I think I'm just letting my unrooted soil go toxic.

5- can you possibly draw out a pict. Light spacing , plant placement.
Is 6 plants a light normal? Looks like 4 per light in the Picts but some maybe less?

6-do you think you can make the fresh air room yield similar to the sealed?

7- with the cost of power these days , what are the bennifits of a triple flip ? Power prices are insane unless your running at night

Last edited:

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
same is true in soil if you manage to actually lower the ec of the soil it will become much more susceptible to ph swings resulting in lock out. If you are having issues and suspect soil problems the best idea is to repeatedly feed about 1.5-2 ec and 6.2-6.5 ph of appropriate feed, and foliar for any suspected deficiencies...
wia t...what? if there's lockout how is feeding 2.0 EC/1000ppm on a hanna gonna fix an issue of lockout...from over ferts?

rykus

Og tree, I will answer later, gotta jet was just checking a few PM's...

Basically I was referring more to people creating bad PH problems by not having excess necessarily, but by letting an unbalanced mix build up.

Firstly flushing saturates a medium, and using only water will not unbind as many anions as flushing with a medium strength feed that contains a high amount of cations to un bind the bad nutrients from your soil.

The idea is if you are not sure exactly why your not at 1000% optimal, is that you don't want to replace that with even less ideal...

So if your soil right now is going toxic from being at a PH around 5 and has a bunch of K binding up excess s of N and P, then if you add just a ton of low EC straight water, it will only rinse out minimal amounts of those locked nutes, will over saturate your medium killing mircro herd, n causing yet another ph imbalance as you medium will quickly drop back down.... Where as if you flush your medium with a nutrient solution high in Ca and with a ph up at 7 it should steal some of the bound N and P from the K and let it rinse out or be consumed, and the ph will be more stable from the stable EC... Even better would be top dress the calcium like oyster shell or gypsum...

Seems counter productive but I work with chem guys steady... Always low ph, they flush out all the lime trying to fix it and the crop eats shit.. Even more crazy is you can fix it kind of with pro silicate but further elevate the K and they go really yellow in week 5-7 but still get big bud... Just more bug and mould pressure....

Just an off the cuff answer while I'm here... Most of those are 3 or less plants per bulb but I was referring to an up coming Gavita build using overhead lighting... Need to yield, commercial....

And 600's are good with only a few varieties .... A bunch are fluff garbage... So yes it is awesome... 3 rooms off 1 set of ballast... Hoping for 36 lbs off 7200w running 24/7... Might be good, just a test place.

rykus

I'm not exactly sure the science of it all, but i do try to study up at least once a year on some basics... Kinda how I ended up here...

But no.. IMO with chemical salts you are best off always keeping levels in the medium high range...les ph drift... And from years as a hydro guy I know that most varieties bind up at 3 EC plus not less if watered properly and actually consuming food.

Gotta use leaf size as an indicator of food stress, plants will grow fine but be slow and dark when feed is too high, especially phosphorus or potassium. Stems should be strong, flexible and green too...

Anyways OG trees, that's why if you go back and copy my soil mix you will see it is super light... My 15 gallon can only hold 2-4 gallons of water, so it is almost impossible to over water... Most common issue IMO with soil.

No the 600's IMO are still not 1000's but I had 12 thousands in 10x20's and couldn't get the #'s I wanted so I switched out. Easier to hit my numbers that way.

Our power is getting up ther too, and if the market dumps hard again as I suspect it might, I want to be doing less work, buying no soil and almost no feed... Think of on every hundred lights I got I get an extra 50 with no increase in hydro except fans and extra pump time, and only a few hundred pounds of organic material and some feed to get my ph on point... That's what I'm going for!

Ok skipped off the first question.. Lol, three in a row... I had a shitty five ton that has cost me a few hundred g over its lifetime since '07 or so, lol... So it packed it in. I have a twelve inch out on a thermostat no high temps here... Was about a week away, went in out, no issue cut 2.1 per... Next run no AC... Hit 1.5 average but had some temp issues as I tried to run AC and it failed off and on... Saved by outtake...

Had pretty bad rot though from no AC and fluctuating temps, ect... Like lots of rot... So I ponied up 12k for brand new mini splits... 2 3 tons for 16 flip lung room...should have been over kill, but the guy hacked the install and I was broke because I usually am, lol..

Anyways when it went the last time I was mostly at fault because was bucking for the crew, went an extra day and with the outage and one 3 ton still going it was just drooping hard from being actually dry from the heat and extra time... So mostly me...but caused by the one AC either being under charged or having a 90 put on in a stupid place which is at all!

This last time both AC where off, so not sure what that's about, but the back up fan blew the duct all to shit probably from crazy heat, and was not functional at all.... Was fully watered in 25 gallons and the cells literally burst from heat

That is the problems of commercial business plans, it has often been more worth it for me to put my money into new builds that fixing up already existing ones that are already making $....

Last two really quick... Factoring in the costs of power ect, 1.6 with fresh air equally about two in co2... And with out the extra power drain of the AC you can run quite a few more bulbs... I'll let ya know soon I guess!

On yield if you look back to my original posts you will see I am only supplementing my feed with organics to get a nicer product and better growth. I still used quite a few chemical feeds on the 2.1 run and the others I have pics of. It is only now in the staggered bulb room that I have run full organics! Is totally killing it but is only one room of commercial clone varieties... So yeild is going to be up higher than would be compared to other runs....

Anyways back soon
Cheers

rykus

Hey all, just wanted to pop in and say sorry for not posting and sharing more lately.

Been super busy and splitting my time between working and building, trying to push harder and get more systematic, but still smoking heavy, lol.... Is goingprettywell.

Anyways, have been playing with defoliation the most, and just mostly top dressing organics on used dirt, just cutting out stumps and dumping in big heathy starts seems to just kill for turn around ease and speed.

Did some three a light style strip and I think it is something to play with, but the stress did directly affect flower size IMO on the plants that where stripped heavy in flower building times like day 21-45..... I liked the ones I did around flower initiation period (day0-5) but I might be worried about them filling space if they where needing a lot of stretch.... Going to play with it as those inside buds got solid and good colour and i fit an extra 1/3 the amount of plants in.... As opposed to bending them open as I was.... But that was my two largest fastest yields other than aero tables or beds.

I'll be around less probably in the coming months, but I have a few really cool projects I will be posting up soon so hopefully you'll join me, and as always feel free to ask any questions, I like thinking about grow stuff!

Cheers

C

chris harris

Thanks for taking the time to share. Have been subb'd to this thread. Good to see you back.

rykus

Waiting game today, lol....

Not a lot to say but I got all day to say it and I've read the new posts so many times I thought maybe I'd bump this with a life update since I did at one point have a sound mind and motivation to make posts that could potentially help in a general sense....funny reading back as I've already shifted gears a few times due to finances or knowlage do dropped on me by the resident experts here.... I have to say I feel privileged to have gotten the help I have, and have been trying to give as much advice as I feel confident giving at a this point....

Still no charger for my camera.... Will try n fix this ASAP but until then you'll have to visualize

The 36 bulb is still in the midst of full rebuild, funded and looking really on point. I'm actually excited to do this and put up pics! Is pro style build out... 24x40 rooms or something crazy...the Gavitas are on bars that span the room and can be raised and lowered individually by quad winches up in the res room... 4 bars per room...

Down side is I have to go back ten years and run GH in soil.... In 3 gallons....pretty much my nightmare... Lol, but I'm capable... Going to push past the 2 per and then I'll have some say, lol...

The big shop is slow, lol... Trying to get it so I can cut a room every two weeks or so and break up the work a bit more... The three flips are running very well for the summer heat and seem to produce comparably to the standard two flip... Would be ideal for me to have a 6 flip veg rooms(8x14) or maybe a 4/10 split that four of the lights flip to the 6 making it ten while the small room sleeps (8x20 + 8x8) constantly feeding the 6 8x28 bloom rooms....

Still building that though... Lol, kinda... Been hectic so the final bloom room is framed, and the veg is not even there yet...so my timing has been jammed up and awkward... Too many ... Not enough... And split up weird...

Aero tables are just going to wait, I've been researching ultrasonic foggers and new lighting tech and well... I'm just going to wait till I can do it right and have fun with it... Can't wait though! I really feel it will be a great tool to learn about nutrients and response...

I have another shop with a 100a service I want to use as my breeding/experimental rooms...

Basically I met a guy who knows some guys at sunlight supply...and I wanted to try their 315w setups because they use the good Philips ballasts.... Then I saw their ultimate shades!

These are 100% ideal for my three flip rooms I am convinced! Basically I will have a timer on each room that runs the dual 315's in each shade (6 per room) so I can veg/bloom what ever in each room using about 4200w... Then the DE 1000w will be set always to 8 hrs in each of the 3 rooms... Right in the middle of the light cycle... Should produce some serious light in the ideal spectrums! Very excited to try it!

My small place with the 12 600w's flipping to 3 10x20 rooms is kicking ass this run... Hitting day 30 now... And I upped my plant count a bit, added 300w of t5 to supplement the flip to each room... The place is mostly the local pink kush (24 600's) but the third room is supposedly legend OG, GG4, island hash plant,ECSDxOGKB and forum cookies! Very stoked on the forum,GG4 and OG!

The forum looks like it could yield better along the walls if I veg them comparable to pink kush, because the bud looks rock hard and doesn't seem to get way smaller along the lower light areas.... Very interesting for me.... The GG4 and OG are perfect for trees... Big stretch, big flower set and lots of frost seem to be key ingredients to both cultivars! I like, I like e a lot, lol...

I am seeing with a proper organic regime and some learning I will be getting equal yields with way less food and issues.... Going to get heavily into soil testing and proper amendments in the coming months, and once again big thanks to all that have helped me so far in that direction....I am slowly realizing that although I have and constantly do learn more and more about plant nutrition and deficiencies.... I have learned blindly by feel and things gone wrong... Soil testing and investing in better meters for over all plant analysis will bring me to that next level of learning I need to persue.... Doing the aero set up will help as well and compound my learning I hope!

Sorry for interjecting so much personal stuff into a thread that started out about growing.... But that is growing... Growing yourself as you go and building up your knowlage and experience can be like a series of mountains and valleys, but as you aknowlaged those plateau's you can see your way to the next high peak... Or something like that, lol...

Anyways I'm going to keep my head down and work through it and hope to come out stronger and wiser for it all, lol.... That's the plan...ill try n get a camera...lol, have a good one guys and sorry haven't been on here posting as much again...trying to stay away from the natural inclination to feel like I should fill a hundred pages of drivel to feed my ego, pretending I'm appeasing my audience, lol ... It's a trap, I know, lol

Thanks again and I'll bump it up when I got some pics or something to say...

rykus

Ha ha, yeah... I like busy.... Had a lot of people tell me I'm the most motivated stoner they know, lol.... But they never met mendo420 r rd26 either...

Thanks though bud, I hope your endeavours are blossoming as well ;)

O

OG Tree Grower

That's a great update and makes it easy to visualize , I've never been much of a picture whore but I must say, I am anxious to see pictures of all this coolness

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whew, took a bit to get caught up.

We run a forum cross that grows semi true to the mother re: lower light and food. Does not like to be stressed or fucked with.

From experience of never having seen in grow happy.

Did you post the organic mix and I missed it?

An hour to clean up a plant? ;) I wouldn't want to pay them either (not that I have had employees. I is one.).

Enjoying the insight into how you grow, great minds and all that. Chimera may be of help re: soil and plant testing.

LaMotte sells a starter kit. Reasonably priced. I wouldn't use it to replace a sample tested by professionals but it has Bill Nye appeal.

rykus

Thanks Mikell for the insight!

It's about an hour total of work per plant is what i think I meant without skimming back...

So that is a pre strip/clean up before flower, a decently big strip at day 21 around, and a final strip at day 50-56 ish... Should be 15-30 minutes each time with a minor staking and timing if need be but that is a branch breaker too...

The mix I've been posting and loosely working off is 1 pro mix hp ,2 perlite 110l ,3 50l canna coco, 2-3 worm castings 20-30l and sometimes I add a few mushroom or sea soil or both...

You can add various additives to this, but is superhigh draining with all the perlite so it will burn with less than what most recommend... Msg me if you want more imput because I don't want to post up what I'm doing till it's worked out better.... Before I went light and fed on top, did really well and posted the way I did it then but was really healthy and I pushed the feed hard.... Not always ideal if they aren't eating it..lol...

Cheers and thanks again guys for fallowing along!

C

cannaisok

Hey man, great thread!
Thanks for giving a overview about your growphilosophy :) very interesting to read and helpful.
I am very interested in Forum and OG, would be happy to read what u have to say about these two.
good luck!