What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help! Lumatek 250 won't start!

petemoss

For the last three days my 250 watt Lumatek won't fire my Hortilux eye HPS.
I fiddled around with the wires and after plugging it in and out for a few minutes, the bulb finally lighted. The Lumatek was bought about seven months ago and has a five year waranty. I haven' been able to get through to tech support at Lumatek and the store I bought it from is closed until Tuesday. Anyone have similar problems? How did Lumatek handle it? Will Maryland Hydro (I bought it on-line) help with a replacement?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hate to say it but I'd say wait until you can contact Lumatek. :badday:

Throw a bunch of CFLs over top of anything you have going so you don't get too much of a stretch. Keep the temps down.

Doublecheck the lamp connections in the cooltube maybe? (if you're still running it like that.. wicked box btw)

Luck!

petemoss

Thanks, Hydro-Soil! I went over all the connections and plugged the ballast into a different outlet. We'll see tomorrow if the light goes on. It's working now, but maybe when the bulb and ballast have cooled down, the same problem may recur. I was able to speak to both Lumatek tech support and Maryland hydro. Both were helpful and suggested I change the bulb to eliminated the possibility of a premature bulb failure. Both parties assured me that I'm covered by Lumatek's 5 year exchange policy should the ballast malfunction. That's very reassuring and I'm glad I went with a name brand. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Sundance

Try this

Remove and separate each and every plug ... those with prongs ... pinch them in - they may not be making electrical contact

This is a very common problem with Lumatek's

Also, if you took the fuse out ... make sure you push it securely back into place. Use a screwdriver to push it back into place if you have to .. these minor things can cause failure

Try it .. Test fire ... and reply

Sundance

Last edited:

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Heard that Eye bulbs have problems firing with digi ballasts...try a different brand bulb if those other suggestions don't help.

I use an Osram Plantastar hps/Galaxy 600 digiballast with no trouble at all.

Good idea to keep a cheap generic hps bulb on hand in case your main bulb ever blows, or for testing and troubleshooting. I picked one up for about $18.

Last edited:

spacecadet

my 2 mount old galaxy is doing the same thing i can unplug it an plug it and it trys to fire the bulb and some times it fire up on its own and run for a wile and shut down just started doing it today and i am about a wk and a half from harvest all i can say is one more reason to stay with mag ballast didi ballast are f-ing crap i hope the place i got it fro will let me swap it out for a mag ballast

petemoss

It was the bulb. I took out the Hortilux Eye and put in a MH bulb and it works!
So it looks like the HPS bulb crapped out after only two months. I hear Lumatek is recommending a German bulb (Ushio) for their ballasts. I'll try to get one but first I'll see if MD Hydro will give me a good price on a generic HPS. No more Hortilux bulbs for me!

petemoss

I forgot to thank all who answered my call for help. Appreciate the good advice given!
I still think Lumatek is a good choice, but they should let people know beforehand the bulbs that are proven to work.

FarmerTed

petemoss, i had the same problem with my hortilux blue mh. Sometimes it would fire, sometimes not & sometimes it would just go out. Lumatek was no help at all. Finally figured out the 3 prong plug wasnt making good contact. Spread them out so i had a tight connection and have'nt had a problem since.

petemoss

FarmerTed said:
petemoss, i had the same problem with my hortilux blue mh. Sometimes it would fire, sometimes not & sometimes it would just go out. Lumatek was no help at all. Finally figured out the 3 prong plug wasnt making good contact. Spread them out so i had a tight connection and have'nt had a problem since.

I guess you can't blame that one on Hortilux! In my case, I'm 99% positive it's the damn Hort bulb. I forgot how much I paid for the bulb, but it was expensive!
I just googled "ushio hps" and found the bulb Lumatek likes. Pleasantly surprised
that it was only $13!!! plus $8 for shipping from Oregon.

FarmerTed

Eye hortilux bulbs are $$ and i just found out they went up $$$ when looking to get a new one. Can you tell me is that ushio an enhanced hps or standard and whats the name of the seller? That sounds like a great deal & i'd like to check them out. Thanks