What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what to do when coco dries out and causes lockout?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
hello everyone. everything was going smooth as hell but they overgrew their pots quite quickly and they dried out a few times. not to the point where they were wilted but the pots were light as hell and the coco was super dry. i think this has caused a lockout issue for me.

feeds are ~600 ppm jacks and calnit, and ph is 6.2
i had it around 5.8 for a while but since went to 6.2
they honestly look hungry but i know at this feed rate with jacks they shouldnt be at all.

i have since foliared with extremely light nutrients/calmag twice to try and keep them healthy while they are locked out.

i flushed the hell out of them with 250 ppm mix and runoff wasnt anything too crazy on pH or ppm. the ones with the highest ppm runoff looked the healthiest actually.

today i got all my blumat parts in and just finished getting them installed so no more dry outs unless something fails. i filled the res with ~650 ppm base nutrients and pH is 6.2

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180107_151952.jpg
    MVIMG_20180107_151952.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 18
  • MVIMG_20180107_152003.jpg
    MVIMG_20180107_152003.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 21

maimunji

It is possible to have off gassing issues?
Anything new in your room?
Never have issues with coco drying. Plants wilt but after watering perk again.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
no nothing new. maybe they are just underfed. i dont normally run coco. i know coco tends to rob calmag away from the plants in the root zone when it dries out so maybe thats whats happening.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
just feed normally, all the flushing is probably making them hungry. coco drying out a bit is no big deal, specially if the plants didn't wilt.

Raw710

You should try bumping up your nutes a little bit to around 700 ppm. Some strains are hungrier than others for certain nutes. What week are you in?

rjrom90

i flushed the hell out of them with 250 ppm mix and runoff wasnt anything too crazy on pH or ppm. the ones with the highest ppm runoff looked the healthiest actually.

Are you running CO2, or is this grow located in an area where indoor air could contain aditional CO2 from occupants exhaling? I noticed while living and growing in a small house that nutrient ppm (also using Jack's here) had to be increased to 1200 ppm in some circumstances during winter when the house couldn't be vented due to sub-zero outdoor temps.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i will remix my nutrients tonight to 700 ppm at the 1/.67 and go from there. they honestly just look hungry to me but i just didnt think they could be at that strength.

im using royal gold tupur, no CO2. i have it but not running it til they are vegging happily.

eric2028

Veteran
I’ve been running tupar for a couple years myself. I’ve noticed over the last 6 months some inconsistencies from bag to bag. I’m starting to use Mother Earth coco side by side with tupar and jacks nutes. Same strain same everything but the tupar is showing some cal/mag deficiencies from time to time. Some bags are worse then others. Was told by local hydro store that there was an issue with bags being stored outside but who knows. I can tell you that I’m gonna be running pure Mother Earth with nothing added.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
what sort of ec were/are you guys all running in coco. I think I just need to feed a little bit more. I know tupur is designed for multiple feeds a day and they were only getting fed every 24 hours and drying out in between sometimes in little tiny pots.

maimunji

With blumats I run 1.2-1.4 max. Start 1.0 first week of flower and hit 1.4 week 5 flowering. This with tap water 0.3 ec. No cal mag. Some strains burn tips slightly at 1.4. But every nute brands is different I never use jacks. Can you setup second rez with different nute brand that you deal before in coco?

Last edited:

beta

Veteran
Every problem I've ever had with DTW coco has been solved by watering more frequently. Drying out of any kind definitely always results in visible issues. Keep the coco wet and you'll be fine.

Buddler

Veteran
Delta 9 recommends 600 in jacks .Open up those blumats keep that coco soaked keep them wet at all times lots of runoff i use a manifold wit small pots ..Those nutes are cheap wont cost ya much to DTW..Wish i could get jacks up north here..

Desert Hydro

Veteran
thanks everyone. gonna set them at 1.4 and kick back. noticed some better growth but the old affected stuff is still ugly and im assuming it wont change back. the foliar seems to be helping. i hand watered 1.4 ec to make sure there was plenty of food in the coco and now the blumats should start taking over after today.

all the other parameters are in check.

rH is around mid 60's and the leaf temp is about 78 on average so im in the perfect range for VPD more or less. i think when i add the mothers in there as well i may get a little more humidity bump which would be good.