What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Refreshing No-till beds

Alt_organix

I was curious what the no-till growers do to refresh their beds for next harvest. Chop cover crops, turn mulch layer, bokashi's, soil tests, top dress's, ect?

I used to just top dress with a few amendments mixed with worm castings. I always wanted to get a soil test before I top dressed in order to have more knowledge before I "blindly" amended the soil but, over the years I never tested and never had an issue. I would recommend a soil test though.

growingcrazy

Test, add amendments according to test results. For $40, you will gain more than $40 worth of extra end product as a result.

B

Bongi

Yesterday I did topdress with different amendments using spoon and just throwing number of spoonfulls out of my head. What had higher NPK I used less and those which had lower I used more. I topped that with wormcastings. I have not used this technique before. I hope I did not fuck up. I gave few pots with plants in them to a friend which I handled in same way some time ago. He has not complained so I think they will do fine.

Next time I will get tests done.

Alt_organix

What do y'all do with your mulch layer? I have straw with cover crop growing out of it. When top dressing with amendments and worm castings would you move the straw first or do it right over everything.

I prefer to remove the mulch before I top dress and then place it back down on top of the top dress. That way I preserve the mulch. After I would top dress the worms would usually process everything within a week or so. I would also place all my prunings under the mulch and the worms would go crazy after that and process very quickly.

When you have a cover crop actively growing it is hard to remove the mulch. I would usually cut my cover crop sometime within the first month of flower since my canopy would shade it out so much that it would start die/ stretch any way. After I was done re-amending/top dressing I could plant a cover crop if I felt like it.

Alt_organix

I prefer to remove the mulch before I top dress and then place it back down on top of the top dress. That way I preserve the mulch. After I would top dress the worms would usually process everything within a week or so. I would also place all my prunings under the mulch and the worms would go crazy after that and process very quickly.

When you have a cover crop actively growing it is hard to remove the mulch. I would usually cut my cover crop sometime within the first month of flower since my canopy would shade it out so much that it would start die/ stretch any way. After I was done re-amending/top dressing I could plant a cover crop if I felt like it.

Thanks for the input about mulch layers. I've been curious what other people do.