What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrients for the first time grower

M

moose eater

Thanks Ibechillin, but in the case of the older version of the guano, and delivered artesian-sourced (but treated) water when we had a holding tank, the frothing wasn't immediate, as would occur in an acid-to-alkaline reaction like with baking soda and vinegar. It was a reaction that occurred over a couple days, and stunk like fresh sewage, leading me to believe it was microbial in nature.

Probably the only circumstance in my life where I might be overheard saying that I missed such a stench. ;^>)

Back then, the less aged (High N) guano sometimes had remnants in it to verify circumstantially that it was what was claimed; bat skulls on rare occasion, for example.

Up until very recently, it'd been a long while since I saw such indicators of authenticity in such things from that specific company.

The pulverized sand-stone-like (High P) guano, in the days of productive teas, was more of a golden, and again, literally a pulverized sand-stone like aggregate, requiring regular stirring more than the high N did; the High N staying more homogenized once brewing, the High P being too heavy for the water, and needing agitated to remain together for mixing properly.

But most of all were the fruits to be seen by the eye. The buds themselves, and the sticky resin content.

I can't say definitively what ph was for the delivered water back then, but my well water tests at about 7 to 7.1, straight out of the tap/hose bib, and by-passing any softener system, or lines that might have an accumulation in them of softened water. (*The indoor hose bib for dog and plant water coming off the piping after the pressure tank, but before any other apparatus, to include the 5 and 10 micron in-line filters. IOW, straight outa' the ground).

It's been a mystery to me for a LONG time now.

I tried going to the well-known public artesian springs on the back side of the same hills that the previously delivered water had come from, and hauling upwards of 50-70 gallons at a time (long drive each time). I tried running 33 gal. trash cans of R/O H2O mixed partially with well water, and also the R/O H2O straight, with added extra minerals to compensate. Nothing brought back that moment in time.

There was a possibility that iron and/or K were culprits, in which case both the well water and the EWC might be suspects. But I've usually obtained premium castings, albeit commercial. (*Another project I'm supposed to be getting onto; stackable worm buckets).

This is likely the year we'll engage in testing; lab testing soilless mixes (veg & bloom), lab testing EWCs for mineral content & K (looking for excesses that might explain some of this stuff), lab testing well water again (too long since the well was tested, and aquifers can change over time). It'll be "The testing year." ;^>)

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
It could be something has changed in the nutrient profile of the guano due to being sourced else ware or something to do with the water ph/mineral content. You are right, lots of variables at play.

jidoka has posted he emphasizes the importance of nutrition, giving the plant the right ratios of the things it needs as it needs them, explaining the nutrient profile/balance importance for healthy growth. Like in the example about how calcium, silicon and boron work together to be more effective.

there was a moment in time that all the planets were aligned, and resin flowed on giant colas.

Too many variable changed though to say exactly what was what, and why was why.

For one reason or another you found the balance on that grow. Looking forward to the results moose eater, i love a good mystery/conclusion, wish i could be of more help.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'd go with the three part Fox Farm nutrients. Get some maxi crop seaweed, cal mag, Depending on what type of soil your using you might want to add some amendments...subcools soil mix is good. Indoors I loved Ocean Forest soil. I used a 60-70% OF soil, add 30% ish perlite. Worm castings a few pounds per 5gal mixture(really depends much as u want) 1-2 tbs dolomite lime per gal, I liked to use Green sand(depends on your likeness per 5gal), Plant Success,white shark, Mykos per sug, (use your choice I used plant success or white shark/great white whatever it's called lol. I don't mean use all 3 JUST ONE should be fine)

There's a few other things you can add but you can grow trees indoors with that soil mixture...I've done it!!!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Many yrs ago the K.I.S.S method is the way to go unless you have gold bars in a vault. It can get expensive growing. Most all these 3 part nutrients work. Get your seaweed liquid/soluble, cal mag, and limit yourself to a few other nutrients. Maybe try a few different each grow, bat guano and things and you'll find a few other things to use with a three part nutrient fertilizer. I used to have to buy/try everything when I was younger. I could have saved a lot of money. My preference FF 3 part fertilizer, seaweed, cal mag, bat guano....and a few other nutrients a keep around. I'd limit it to 5.....maybe a few more just don't get carried away. Best advice like I said and many will say kiss method

Edit ALWAyS PH your nutrient solution

Last edited:
M

moose eater

It could be something has changed in the nutrient profile of the guano due to being sourced else ware or something to do with the water ph/mineral content. You are right, lots of variables at play.

jidoka has posted he emphasizes the importance of nutrition, giving the plant the right ratios of the things it needs as it needs them, explaining the nutrient profile/balance importance for healthy growth. Like in the example about how calcium, silicon and boron work together to be more effective.

For one reason or another you found the balance on that grow. Looking forward to the results moose eater, i love a good mystery/conclusion, wish i could be of more help.

The magic lasted for what I'd guess in retrospect was a 2-3 year period. Again, harvest throughout the last 23 years have been mostly pretty good to real good, but not like that period.

And I'd agree that sourcing of amendments changes regularly with most companies. There's often only so much bat shit in a cave being commercially 'mined', etc., and with the up-tick in marketing of such organics to growers, even back then, everything from dolomite to guano, to you name it, changes with each batch/year/company/etc.. New cave, new pit, new, new, new.

I also agree, for maximum benefit, whether it's human diets, animal feed, or plant nutrition, there's a sort of 'combination lock' in balancing these things, that when the numbers are off, it's apparent (sometimes VERY apparent), and when everything is JUST RIGHT, it can be mind-blowingly awesome.

Thanks.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran

Very Very true

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
With all of the legalization/commercialization happening lately demand has risen exponentially for alot of things we use. Only so much supply to go around.

so you either:

A: cut your product with something to stretch it further (water it down)
or B: increase price of the item to slow down sales. (maintain your quality)

With the massive changeover recently to not using artificial flavours in snack foods (Nestle), the price of vanilla beans skyrocketed from $11 dollars per pound in 2011 to $193 towards the end of 2016...

Link to article:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vanilla-bean-shortage-madagascar-drives-up-us-prices/

I'd go with the three part Fox Farm nutrients. Get some maxi crop seaweed, cal mag, Depending on what type of soil your using you might want to add some amendments...subcools soil mix is good. Indoors I loved Ocean Forest soil. I used a 60-70% OF soil, add 30% ish perlite. Worm castings a few pounds per 5gal mixture(really depends much as u want) 1-2 tbs dolomite lime per gal, I liked to use Green sand(depends on your likeness per 5gal), Plant Success,white shark, Mykos per sug, (use your choice I used plant success or white shark/great white whatever it's called lol. I don't mean use all 3 JUST ONE should be fine)

There's a few other things you can add but you can grow trees indoors with that soil mixture...I've done it!!!

White shark or great white that that powder you sprinkle over the roots or in the hole when transplanting, right?

I’d just like to mention these attachments I can pretty much get any of these plus the original post and a few others.. I’m probably looking for the most basic way to proceed and get additives as needed I suppose...

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
White shark or great white that that powder you sprinkle over the roots or in the hole when transplanting, right?

Yes sir, I used the plant success, or great white indoors. I'm gonna try Mykos outdoors I've heard it's good. But the soil mix and info I listed will grow you some big ass indoor plants. I'm going experiment with the Mykos so I can't give my word it works. That stuff is mycorizzea that helps your soil. I always used a directed and could tell a difference. But if you can't afford it I've used just the Ocean Forest mix. I tried to limit the nutes I buy, hell I used to buy everything but like I said buy 3part nutes and cal mag , liquid seaweed and let it ride indoors. This shit will cost you a fortune. Keep a budget!!!

RockinRobot

Could you hit me up with a link pls

This is a link to the K.I.S.S. thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=191645

I use Maxi bloom Cal/Mag, Kool Bloom and Mammoth P. That's it. If you use tap water you can skip the cal/mag.

Just harvested this Super Silver Haze today Grown on it...

picture.php

picture.php

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
OP: what are you growing in? (Substrate, that is.)

Edit: found you said soil. Can you be a little more specific?

Latest posts

Latest posts