What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Idiot Terrorist Strike in NY

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
'Multiculturalism causes tensions with British values': Ofsted chief warns of rising number of 'highly conservative' faith schools - as inspectors find books promoting domestic abuse and pupils reading solely religious texts

Ofsted head Amanda Spielman sent out a warning in her first annual report

She said some faith schools were actively avoiding teaching British values

The expectations of parents were to blame for schools abandoning values

58% of Muslim independent schools, 54% of Jewish and 33% of Christian schools are either inadequate or require improvement, the report reveals

A rising number of religious schools are actively undermining British values, with children exposed to 'sexist and sectarian' books, the head of Ofsted has warned.
Amanda Spielman, the watchdog's chief inspector, said 'shared values and tolerance clash with community expectations' in some parts of the country.

Figures show 58% of the 160 independent Muslim schools inspected are either inadequate or require improvement, more than 80 schools nationwide.

Meanwhile 54% of the 60 independent Jewish schools fall in the same bottom two categories and 33% or the 110 independent Christian schools.

Some faith schools are 'actively undermining fundamental British values', a report found

A graph in the report shows a higher percentage of faith schools are inadequate, with Jewish and Muslim schools most likely to require improvement.

A graph in the report shows a higher percentage of faith schools are inadequate, with Jewish and Muslim schools most likely to require improvement

In her first annual report, Ms Spielman said: 'In the overwhelming majority of state-funded schools, whether faith or not, these values are embedded in the school's ethos and teaching.

'However, there are also those who seek to isolate young people from the mainstream, do not prepare them for life in Britain or, worse, actively undermine fundamental British values.'

British children as young as FOUR are being targeted by ISIS...

She added: 'We have found an increasing number of conservative religious schools where the legal requirements that set the expectations for shared values and tolerance clash with community expectations.

'The schools are, therefore, deliberately choosing not to meet these standards.

'This tension is also leading to the creation of illegal 'schools' that avoid teaching the unifying messages taught in the vast majority of schools in England. Both of these situations are of great concern.'

Ofsted chief Amanda Spielman made the criticisms in her first annual report

Ms Spielman later told London's Evening Standard: 'When I see books in schools entitled 'Women Who Deserve To Go To Hell', children being educated in dank, squalid conditions, children being taught solely religious texts at the expense of learning basic English and mathematics, I cannot let it be ignored.

'We have a proud tradition in this country of respecting religious freedom. But there are occasions when multiculturalism can and does comes into tension with the expectation that students should be prepared for life in modern Britain.'
Some of the schools found to be inadequate had premises which were 'unsafe, even squalid'.

The report said: 'The most basic checks, such as whether staff were suitable to work with children, were not in place.

'Perhaps more significantly, in a handful of schools inspectors found instances of sexist and sectarian literature.'

Focusing on one example, the report states: 'The recent case of Al-Hijrah School in Birmingham showed that an ethos that completely segregates children in school and that spreads discriminatory views about women is unacceptable.

'The fact that this reflects a cultural norm in that community does not mean that children can be disadvantaged in their education.'
Since January 2016, Ofsted has identified 291 possible settings which may be unregistered, the report said.

Around 125 inspections have taken place, 38 warning notices have been issued, 34 settings have closed or ceased operating illegally and the remaining cases remain under active investigation, the report said.

Ms Spielman called for greater powers to combat 'illegal schools'.
She said: 'Current legislation is inadequate to tackle unregistered schools.

'It limits our powers to tackle them and allows institutions to exploit loopholes about definitions of education.'

She found 'community expectations' were forced some schools to 'avoid teaching the unifying messages taught in the vast majority of schools in England'

She found 'community expectations' were forced some schools to 'avoid teaching the unifying messages taught in the vast majority of schools in England'

A Department for Education spokeswoman said: 'Extremism has no place in our society.
'That's why we changed the law and the requirements on schools so that they have to actively promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and the mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.

'It is absolutely right that Ofsted reports on schools that fail to protect children or fail in any other way to meet the standards we expect, so that we can take action to ensure they adhere to the law.

'An academy could be re-brokered, and a maintained school have an interim board appointed or be converted into an academy.

'Any independent school that does not comply with the independent school standards must either improve or we will close it down.

'We always support Ofsted, local authorities and the police in tackling unregistered schools, which are illegal and unsafe.'

The Trojan Horse scandal started with an anonymous letter in March 2014 describing an Islamic plot to take over schools in Birmingham called 'Operation Trojan Horse'.

The document - now thought to be a hoax - proposed a campaign of installing governors and undermining and then replacing school leaders with staff who would be more sympathetic to their religious agenda.

That in turn led to 21 schools being inspected by schools inspector Ofsted, which put six schools in special measures and said five had not done enough to protect children from extremism.

In the wake of the scandal, Colin Diamond, corporate director for children and young people at Birmingham City Council, said last month that Sunday schools and madrasas are 'classrooms by any other name' and should be subject to more regulation.

He told the Times Educational Supplement: 'I think the biggest risks in terms of exposure to any form of non-mainstream societal values are either if you are at home, because you are not part of the social group, or if you are in an independent school that is at the margins of things, or if you are in the unregulated space, which includes Sunday schools, madrasas, all these places where there is no regulation whatsoever.

'Thousands of kids in this city will go to education spaces this evening and will be there for a few hours, and will be taught about Koranic values or Christian values.

'We feel they should be regulated. These are classrooms by any other name. I do wish the Government would grasp this stingy old nettle.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Faith-schools-undermining-British-values.html

* This is the root of the problem with religious extremism - 'Faith Schools'....and Ofsted is trying to do something about it, its a bit late already, but as they say 'Better Late Than Never!'.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
What are British values? And are faith schools really undermining them?
by Catherine Pepinster

Ofsted’s latest report has given the critics of faith schools another excuse to attack them – and again they refuse to distinguish between good and bad

It was in the green room at the BBC that I first experienced the antipathy that faith schools inspire. Just as I was about to talk about religion on the Today programme, and had explained this to an eminent QC waiting to speak on another issue, he took this as a cue to let rip about how awful faith schools were and how divisive. Then, he added, getting angrier, “They wouldn’t give my daughter a place.”

This complaint – I’m opposed to them but I want my kids to go there – is one of the critiques one hears often about faith schools. People, while disliking them, find them desirable because they know that some are highly successful. And it’s often their ethos that is responsible.

The opponents of faith schools regularly talk of them as if they are all alike, all as bad as one another

Ethos is what Ofsted’s newly published annual report has targeted. It highlights the school inspectorate’s deep concerns that some faith schools are “spreading beliefs that clash with British values” and that they could undermine tolerance and respect.

This criticism has been leapt upon by opponents of faith schools, such as the Accord Coalition, to bolster the case for all state schools to be inclusive. In other words, selective faith schools should be scrapped.

This is the problem with the arguments against faith schools: so often their opponents talk of them as if they are all alike, all as bad as one another. If a report emerges about poor teaching, it is used by campaigners to suggest all teaching in all faith schools is poor. If another focuses on them being elitist, they are all damned as elitist. The reality is far more complex, as it is with all schools.

This latest Ofsted report delves into particularly murky waters. It offers no explanation of what it means by “fundamental British values”. If a school is actively encouraging children to not respect the rule of law or is sowing the seeds of hatred of others, leading to criminal activity, then there is clearly a problem and Ofsted is right to raise it.

If a school suggests that girls are inferior to boys and prevents them from learning, say, sciences, or applying to university, then it’s apparent that this is a problem. It contravenes the most basic tenets of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on dignity and equality.

But if Ofsted doesn’t articulate what it means by fundamental British values, plenty of faith schools will be targeted by opponents as failing on this issue. Take for instance, a faith school that teaches the wrongness of abortion – although it has been legal for 50 years in this country. Some might argue that makes abortion a British value. Or what if a Catholic school offered Pope Francis’s teaching that nuclear disarmament is a moral imperative – not a value espoused by Britain, given its track record on holding such weapons?

Should such schools be damned for their ethics? Or should they be commended for teaching RE at GCSE, where pupils will study ethical debates of this nature? And praised for offering different perspectives from most schools, thus being part of the pluralism on which this country has prided itself?

Ofsted’s report also takes faith schools to task over the quality of their education, finding a particular problem in the independent sector. This is novel: all too often faith schools are criticised for letting middle-class parents, under cover of religious belief, acquire an elite education for their children. The truth is that some faith schools need to shape up, while others are among the very best and oversubscribed, especially in London. And they often make a difference to children in very tough neighbourhoods.

Growing proportion of private faith schools fail Ofsted inspections

Targeting faith schools wholesale can have unintended consequences. The Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition introduced a mandatory cap on the intake of believers to all new faith schools, requiring that a new institution would take 50% of its pupils from outside its faith population. The Catholic church stopped building new schools, because the policy broke its canon law, forbidding it from turning away students based on their Catholic faith.

When Theresa May became prime minister, she promised to overturn the policy, with No 10 saying it had been created to make faith schools more diverse but had failed because Catholic schools were more ethnically diverse than others, as well as more successful. Since May lost her majority, this U-turn appears to have been shunted to one side, with education secretary Justine Greening said to have indicated she doesn’t think it a priority.

But faith schools are a priority – for the thousands who attend them, for the thousands who want to do so, for those critics who rightly want to weed out the worst performers. And especially for the parents who want the freedom to choose these schools for their children. Now, that freedom is surely a fundamental British value. Ofsted, take note.

• Catherine Pepinster is a writer on religious affairs
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/13/faith-schools-british-values-ofsted

*Another report from the other end of the media-political spectrum. Your comments please gentlemen/ladies.

M

moose eater

Yep, just a part of the potential down-sides of faith-based schools some keep pushing for.

Anyone trying to conscript a 4-year-old deserves a private meeting with a concerned parent..

But those sentiments go for our own recruiters in the public and other schools, too. Without cannon fodder to do the Executive Offices' or other manipulators' bidding, maybe the previously-draft-waivered, quasi-dinosaur, cowards in suits, ties etc., in D.C. might have to spill their own blood, instead of putting that job on the often disposable barely-adult grunts..

After GW put Posse Commitatus (spelling?) on moth balls, DoD intel infiltrated a sizable number of organizations, nationwide, including some up here. One run by an acquaintance, and other groups too. Maybe mine as well. (*Arlo Guthrie used to do a preamble story about the disadvantages a UC FBI guy faced, who couldn't reveal his I.D., and the perplexing situations that might arise from that).

The DoD findings were later leaked in a 400+ page document. The local groups here in Ak were deemed more or less inconsequential (as in, not a threat to Nat'l security).

One group they -did- deem to be a threat to Nat'l security was, somewhat ironically, the group 'Quakers for Peace' in Florida, because they'd been fairly successful getting the military recruiters booted from the schools there, interrupting Uncle Sam's conveyor belt of disposable battle-ready cannon fodder..

Preying on children and offering them lies, to further political agendas at the cost of those persons' lives, blood, limbs, & consciences, and more, is tantamount, in my opinion, to 1st degree molestation. And any military recruiter approaching my remaining minor son will become aware of that -immediately-. ;^>)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You directed it there. You can't discuss this logically because you have a hatred of Americans that defies logic.

Who put you in charge of the World Power Rankings? U.S.A.? China? China overtakes U.S.A.? What about Russia? Who fucking cares.

I will go out on a limb and predict this. At no time ever will Canada be #1. The innocent bystander country of the world. Where health care is so slow it takes 18 months to have a baby.

At a time when we must (in my opinion, all I ever present) begin to pull together under one flag from pole to pole, the nation that should be leading that task has chosen the exact opposite. The next major accomplishments of humanity will not be won by individual states, the resource drain will tax the planet.

This new direction you collectively voted for is pushing America's allies away and solidifying the opposition. That so much power is concentrated in the hands of a man whose broadstroke characteristics are reminiscent of a ten year old spoiled brat causes great concern to the rest of us in the West.

Compare Syria to the near two decade long quagmire of Irag and Afghanistan.

What has this accomplished but to dump small to heavy weapons in to the hands of all and fuel more hatred.

By contrast, the East has accomplished more in two years in Syria than we have in 17.

If you want to see the waning power of American hegemony put into stark contrast to the rise of China, look no further than to where the bulk of bailout monies across the globe came from after the 2008 recession.

It has not escaped the collective conciousness of most Canadian's that we will not be the next dominant superpower.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
picture.php

M

moose eater

At a time when we must (in my opinion, all I ever present) begin to pull together under one flag from pole to pole, the nation that should be leading that task has chosen the exact opposite. The next major accomplishments of humanity will not be won by individual states, the resource drain will tax the planet.

This new direction you collectively voted for is pushing America's allies away and solidifying the opposition. That so much power is concentrated in the hands of a man whose broadstroke characteristics are reminiscent of a ten year old spoiled brat causes great concern to the rest of us in the West.

Compare Syria to the near two decade long quagmire of Irag and Afghanistan.

What has this accomplished but to dump small to heavy weapons in to the hands of all and fuel more hatred.

By contrast, the East has accomplished more in two years in Syria than we have in 17.

If you want to see the waning power of American hegemony put into stark contrast to the rise of China, look no further than to where the bulk of bailout monies across the globe came from after the 2008 recession.

It has not escaped the collective conciousness of most Canadian's that we will not be the next dominant superpower.

I've never really understood the quest to be #1 in power, etc. Maybe #1 in production of something I'm proud of, #1 in quality, etc. #1 in clean conscience and living more in synch with my sense of karma or spirituality.

But the whole (seemingly testosterone addled) benefit of chanting, "We're #1!!!" over and over again, strangely reminds me of adolescents in gym class or a sports arena.

I look forward to seeing more and more persons chanting, "We're consciously awake, insightful to our own BS, and living happily and humbly in relationship to the Cosmos."

There's a chant I could maybe get behind. But even -that- chant carries with it the 1-up, 1-down contrast that rides on ego and puts others down without real constructive purpose.

But then, hearing "suit up" in gym class never really got my adrenaline and dopamine flowing at higher rates, either.

Maybe it's just me..

Ever listen to the 'Olympic Game' song by Pied Pear/Pied Pair; the remnants of the Canadian Band Pied Pumpkin, who later became the Pair of Pied Pumpkin, before becoming the first referenced band? They were big up in the Yukon Territory, and had connections to both B.C. and Ontario if I recall correctly.

"Hear there's money to be made.
Gonna' write an Olympic song for the parade.
$20 grand would feel good in my hand.
Here's hopin'...."

Some of us just aren't heavily geared toward this whole negative relativist perspective that inherently places 1 up and 1 down, where my worth is relative to someone else's lack of worth.

Passing through life with as clean a conscience is close to priceless in my view, and still a likely unachievable goal for most of us once we graduate from all the mind/soul/spirit-fucking aspects of 'normalization' in the track-meet-like obstacles presented therein.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Bozo

Live Updates — NYPD: Akayed Ullah Injured Self, 3 Others with Homemade Bomb

may all these jihadi fucks rot in hell! ...we need to kill them all and then feed them to the pigs!

bozo

this report which contains an estimated numbers of such deaths in 37 nations as well as brief explanations of why the U.S. is considered culpable.

This study reveals that U.S. military forces were directly responsible for about 10 to 15 million deaths during the Korean and Vietnam Wars and the two Iraq Wars. The Korean War also includes Chinese deaths while the Vietnam War also includes fatalities in Cambodia and Laos.

The American public probably is not aware of these numbers and knows even less about the proxy wars for which the United States is also responsible. In the latter wars there were between nine and 14 million deaths in Afghanistan, Angola, Democratic Republic of the Congo, East Timor, Guatemala, Indonesia, Pakistan and Sudan.

But the victims are not just from big nations or one part of the world. The remaining deaths were in smaller ones which constitute over half the total number of nations. Virtually all parts of the world have been the target of U.S. intervention.

The overall conclusion reached is that the United States most likely has been responsible since WWII for the deaths of between 20 and 30 million people in wars and conflicts scattered over the world.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-ha...-37-victim-nations-since-world-war-ii/5492051

Now sit down and shut up !

Thanks for sharin

EB .

packerfan79

Veteran
G `day Bozo

this report which contains an estimated numbers of such deaths in 37 nations as well as brief explanations of why the U.S. is considered culpable.

This study reveals that U.S. military forces were directly responsible for about 10 to 15 million deaths during the Korean and Vietnam Wars and the two Iraq Wars. The Korean War also includes Chinese deaths while the Vietnam War also includes fatalities in Cambodia and Laos.

The American public probably is not aware of these numbers and knows even less about the proxy wars for which the United States is also responsible. In the latter wars there were between nine and 14 million deaths in Afghanistan, Angola, Democratic Republic of the Congo, East Timor, Guatemala, Indonesia, Pakistan and Sudan.

But the victims are not just from big nations or one part of the world. The remaining deaths were in smaller ones which constitute over half the total number of nations. Virtually all parts of the world have been the target of U.S. intervention.

The overall conclusion reached is that the United States most likely has been responsible since WWII for the deaths of between 20 and 30 million people in wars and conflicts scattered over the world.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-ha...-37-victim-nations-since-world-war-ii/5492051

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I am not going to deny that America has propensity for war( Republican and Democrat). I don't support it. But to say that America is responsible for 20 to 30 million death's is factually incorrect.

Now Socialism is responsible for at least 100 million deThs.

M

moose eater

G `day Bozo

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Thanks Elmer.

Some of us have been aware of those stats and history, as we work on social issues that reach beyond just legalization/weed, and the fact that in the end, ALL of these issues involve human rights. Drug War, War for profit, profitable weapons industry in all its corruption, immunizing law enforcement, Wall St/Banks out of control and fleecing the world, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

The profiteers are often the same folks. (*The tidbit apparently missed by many who criticized Occupy Wall St in a knee-jerk manner, and pretended not to see the theme therein).

A HUGE problem is that our governments are, as often as not, stacked with checkers players rather than chess players; they fail to see the next three ripples they've caused in the proverbial stream, let alone the ripples that will come next year. Or the year after.

You can see this feature in spades when examining which despots we've selectively, actively, and opportunistically supported in many corners of the world, initially having no real apparent care for the hundreds of "what ifs" created by those short-term, often corporate-or-military-industrial-complex-benefitting moves.

But it's almost always SOMEONE ELSE'S blood that covers that tab. I figure the checkers players ought to cover their own tabs. I'm ALL FOR that event coming about. :)

Take care Elmer. :tiphat:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
...him thinking i'd just shut up 'cause he said so, i thought that was pretty obvious just based on the quote.

...he and i have a history you know nothing about.

bozo

G `day Bozo

A thinking person might understand the irony of what I posted .
Possibly feel some what embarrassed when they realised the ridiculousness of calling for more killing in revenge.

Killing is what got you into this mess in the 1st place . Kill your way out of it too ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

iTarzan

You're rolling on the floor laughing your ass off at what exactly?

1. At Canadians claiming moral superiority over the USA while ignoring the atrocities their government and citizens did to their very own aboriginal people all the while sitting cozy looking out their windows watching the smoke rise from Canada's asbestos and anthrax factories.

2. At germans getting involved in the USA bashing all the while looking through Christmas catalogs looking for gifts for their Nazi grandparents.

3. At anyone complaining that the USA had to kill anybody while they protected S. Vietnam, S. Korea, Iraq and the world. Beating up bullies can get messy.

iTarzan

G `day Bozo

A thinking person might understand the irony of what I posted .
Possibly feel some what embarrassed when they realised the ridiculousness of calling for more killing in revenge.

Killing is what got you into this mess in the 1st place . Kill your way out of it too ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Most times thinking people don't understand what non thinking people say.

Please stop sharing.

rolandomota

Why worry about things you cant change worry about things that matter to you and that you can change if you dont like whats happening. Why do you want to waste your time acting all high and mighty if people are going to continue killing each other for as long as we live? Focus man lifes too short to be worrying about shit you cant control and most of the time it doesn't even matter what your opinion is the world will keep going around the sun long after your gone.

St. Phatty

If you want to understand Terrorism, the place to start is the King David Hotel, in 1946.

91 British civilians were murdered.

The attackers belonged to 3 or 4 Israeli Terrorist groups - Irgun, Haganah, the Stern Gang ... but mostly Irgun.

The attackers wore Muslim clothes. It was a "False Flag" attack - the attackers were trying to pin the blame on Muslim & Arab groups.

When Israel talks about their "War of Independence", that's what they're talking about.

As far as the incident in New York, I don't find the young man to be particularly scary. Match heads in a steel pipe ?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't help but think Canada's environmental practices and aboriginal history is a drop in the bucket, eh black pot?

These are problems that continue to this day. Likely the head of the Inquiry into Missing Women will be sacked for gross incompetance. But it exists and is an attempt to correct systemic abuse. I have worked on reservations for monthes at a time and seen the issues they deal with from the government to social services, to corruption and substance abuse. Suicide is frighteningly common. There is much to be done on all sides.

Asbestos is on full ban next year last I heard.

And the worst thing most say about our leader is "selfie king".

So yeah. I feel comfortable looking down on you.

I will say I got a good laugh at bozos foxy finger.

OldPhart

I can't believe they actually used the term 'Premature detonation'! Fans of Jeff Dunham should find this funny as hell. LOL They have since changed that, and now are acting like it wasn't a 'premature detonation'. What a poor excuse for a suicide bomber, guess he should have practiced.

Something to put you in the holiday spirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifK-k8Ii8Xw

Latest posts

Latest posts