What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Funk Lab

Castroman

Great photography Mustafunk! The thread reads like a magazine (and you certainly got the perfect name for it already, El Cannasseur), very enjoyable.

Curious about Lilly, with the pineapple aroma / taste, unusually short flowering period and uplifting sativa high, it could be a C99 derivative even though the bud does look different. Do you think it is as Delicatessen claim, an unrelated Congo cross? It wouldn't be the first time a Spanish seed vendor misrepresents a strain's true makeup. They seem to apply Einstein's quote "the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" to a T.

Also intrigued by that Chem D x Sour D cross. I would love your opinion on how the smoke from the various strains referenced in the thread compare. Like a Lilly vs Chem D / Sour D or Queen Mother vs Cherry Pie x OG Kush deathmatch :)

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Great photography Mustafunk!
Curious about Lilly, with the pineapple aroma / taste, unusually short flowering period and uplifting sativa high, it could be a C99 derivative even though the bud does look different. Do you think it is as Delicatessen claim, an unrelated Congo cross? It wouldn't be the first time a Spanish seed vendor misrepresents a strain's true makeup. They seem to apply Einstein's quote "the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" to a T.

Also intrigued by that Chem D x Sour D cross. I would love your opinion on how the smoke from the various strains referenced in the thread compare. Like a Lilly vs Chem D / Sour D or Queen Mother vs Cherry Pie x OG Kush deathmatch

Hey Castro! Yeah many times I wonder about that too... structures and times don't really match with 100% african equatorial genes but since the breeder seems to be an honest guy, I'm more inclined to think that maybe one of the parents was handed as something but never verified. So either mislabelled or modern hybridized landrace in my humble opinion.

As an example, check this picture of a 90s Congolese strain I've received this past year for preservation purposes. Kept by a veteran smoker who only used to grow african sativas but by the compact looks, definitely a modern and possibly hybridized landrace in my opinion. Reminds me a bit to the modern/squat colombians, mexicans or jamaicans we can often see around nowadays.

Congolese 1996:
picture.php

No worries on the reviews, I'll try to upload dried bud pictures as well as soon as I can and a brief smoke report after trying them all! ;-)

Let's move on into this rare ladies, Lemon Thais from Dutch Flowers seedbank. Originally preserved by Stash, who purchased some original packs from Heaven's Stairway auctions back then. I think it was the same stock that Bodhi received and from what he mentioned to me, he found very similar expressions.

For me there are two clear phenotypes, the compact and chemmy smelling ones (afghan leaning probably) and the more airy looking sweet lemon ones (probably hawaiian thai side). All plants are really frosty and some were throwing male flowers and bananas just like many others reported previously.

This lady, the most stretchy one, was the best smelling female as well. Very frosty too and turned into a beautiful magenta colour right before maturing. Too bad I've found plenty balls on those flowers, and i'm not speaking about bananas but big ass balls lol!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Another phenotype:

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Two more Lemon Thais came down this week, this was the other compact hashplant looking pheno, hard ass nugs and not so lemony but no bananas so far:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

album.php

Castroman

Great photography as always, very enjoyable thread to read.

Hey Castro! Yeah many times I wonder about that too... structures and times don't really match with 100% african equatorial genes but since the breeder seems to be an honest guy, I'm more inclined to think that maybe one of the parents was handed as something but never verified. So either mislabelled or modern hybridized landrace in my humble opinion.

We are going to have to wait until genetic tests can tell us exactly what is what... until then, we have to go by eye and ear.

Let's move on into this rare ladies, Lemon Thais from Dutch Flowers seedbank. Originally preserved by Stash, who purchased some original packs from Heaven's Stairway auctions back then. I think it was the same stock that Bodhi received and from what he mentioned to me, he found very similar expressions. For me there are two clear phenotypes, the compact and chemmy smelling ones (afghan leaning probably) and the more airy looking sweet lemon ones (probably hawaiian thai side). All plants are really frosty and some were throwing male flowers and bananas just like many others reported previously.

They say he who wants fish should be ready to get his butt wet, and it seems the same here: if you want tropical sativas you have to put up with the bananas. :)

Clearly Dutch Flowers added a little Afghan there trying to get the flowering period down a bit, my question as always is how does the Afghan-leaning phenos smoke. If they are up and soaring with little body, then that's successful breeding. Have you done any sampling yet Mustafunk? How does DF's Lemon Thai compare to, say, Mextiza or Destroyer in potency?

ValleyKush

Veteran
^I'd like to know as well. Bodhi seems to think highly of df but I dont hear much about them otherwise. Thinking about getting a lemon thai hybrid because I really like head trip (chocolate trip x snowlotus).

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Thanks guys... I'm also a big fan of Dutch Flowers myself. At the moment I have scheduled anothe repro/selection project with both Blowfish and the GHaze. Another friend just received Katsu's Bluebird cut of Chocolate Trip. I'd love to compare that one to Bodhi's cut though.

DF was definitely a very rare seedbank, I remember that most auctions at Heaven's Stairway were hitting crazy prices, a guy from NL was bidding up to $500 for a pack! I remember how Stash posted here how Katsu and himself acquired most packs later and preserve them.

A small quote from Katsu himself on DF:

katsu_bluebird said:
GHaze was excellent. Blowfish was good. Venomberry was mediocre. Oxygen 19 sucked. Indigo Blue sucked. Columbian Supremo sucked. Mighty Candy Haze was mediocre. Sugar Klingon were mediocre. Chocolate Trip was excellent. I still have 2 packs of the Metal Haze that I never grew out as well as a few leftover beans from most of the aforementioned packs. Interesting genetics, with very erratic performance and HIGHLY OVERPRICED!!!! Highly skilled copywriter doing the descriptions and VERY limited offerings on CBay had everyone clammering for their DF genetics.

Brother Castro, you are right if u wanna taste tropical satties most of the times you should be willing to deal with hermis. I'm happy that most of this bananas seem unfertile. This op I had lots of them in most elite cuts within the last few weeks, probably due to low temps as well.

Clearly Dutch Flowers added a little Afghan there trying to get the flowering period down a bit, my question as always is how does the Afghan-leaning phenos smoke. If they are up and soaring with little body, then that's successful breeding. Have you done any sampling yet Mustafunk? How does DF's Lemon Thai compare to, say, Mextiza or Destroyer in potency?

I remember reading that the Lemon Thai was probably an old thai/afghan hybrid form Hawaii. Looks like that to me after watching all mixed airy and hashplant looking phenos.

Yesterday we sampled the first LT plant we harvested 3 weeks ago or something. Still a bit harsh to smoke but fair enough to get a taste of the high. Smell was citrus and very sweet in this one, almost like rotten skunky lemon.

I was pretty surprised by the potency actually. We vaped a small amount before preparing dinner and we barely were able to prepare anything! Totally spaced out and giggly as fuck during the dinnertime, speaking and acting totally stupid until we finished. Almost 2 hours later I started feeling a bit sober and we took another bowl... then we started to feel the couchlock from the affie influence. My gf ended crashing on the sofa while I've stayed chilling and watching a movie.

Potency wise it was stronger than Mextiza for sure, but they are very different plants in my opinion. LT is definitely a strong hybrid with a nice balanced effect but the couchlock and comedown is still there. Actually reminded me a lot to Super Silver Haze, Mango Haze and stuff like that, with the nice active high and later the slight comedown.

On the other hand, the Mextiza is a different kind of plant... the subtle lime, lemon rind and spicy exotic aromas are much more delicate and the overall effect is clear and light on the body. Happy positive daytime smoke although not super strong or overpowering. Destroyer tends to have a denser effect too, maybe due to the Colombian.

Anyway I have another 3 LTs to try later on. You can see they have their own character, they don't look like dutch strains, skunks, neither US commercial hybrids. I'm pretty happy with the experience so far.

All right this was the last one and my favourite as well:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Two more pics:

picture.php

Anybody else is able to see the ant shaped bud? lol.

picture.php

And this are some of the Bubba Kush keepers from Katsu's Bluebird seedline... when he received the green Bubba cut from Orgnkid he also received pollen from another member, produced some seeds and this are the offspring.

There were mixed green and dark purple phenos. Some more chemmy/skunky while others more fruity. Most really stretchy and low production plants. This were my two favourites from all the 16:

This one totally looks like Peyote Purple... now I understand where those expressions came from!
picture.php

This is my keeper, nicknamed "Fire cut" because of those beautiful orange leaves, she's the sweetest one from all.

picture.php

picture.php

Enjoy the weekened guys!

ElRubio

Veteran
tagged!

Best luck with your projetcs dude. Happy to see you growin some dank hybrids finally hehehe...

Espero vernos pronto. Saludos!

asaf

Hi people, Mustafunk good shots, beautiful plants, hard work!. These saturated, oxidated pistils are very good compo element, can be music in the silence, fireworks in the Valencian night.

Can be photographic election. One strain with green ice buds and red orange pistils. What strains have these attributes and good smoke and effect?

I need also a second assault with peyote, this k is so beautiful, but have different structure. Without dude this strain have three or more rhombus :).

Can you recommend soil and nutrient for the peyote or k?

Thanks!

3rd-3yed

Veteran
I'm also a big fan of Dutch Flowers but I only began growing at the time of their limited release, glad Stash did preservations with these gems for sure !

I'm still kicking myself to this day cause I missed the Lemon Thaï F4 reproduction via Stash made by Motarebel few years ago, that's a a real shame for me, I was looking them sit for month but didn't had money at the time to buy 3 or 4 packs, they were pretty cheap also, like 50 euros per packs...

3 years ago I had around 30 Blowfish f4 from Hazeman repro to make F5, gave them to one of my best friend but he had an horrible fungus gnat invasion he failed to manage at the right time & lost everything...

Bad Karma on me haha ! :dunno:

Latest posts

Latest posts