What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Auto flower in the north

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The summer was great that year, lots of sun and the plant had topped seven feet high. The buds were about three weeks along and the plant most definitely was going to yield over a pound.
Then it snowed three inches in one day. It melted the next day but too late for the outside plant. A friend turned the plant into butter and cooked with it.

I gave up on outside growing that year, the weather has grown too erratic and two out of three crops were failing.

I can only imagine what is going on with the world's food supply.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I never thought I would be posting every five days. The Auto Lemon Skunk is growing very rapidly, sure it is a small plant, but still, it is growing very rapidly.
I am assuming this pace will slow in the coming weeks. Meanwhile I went ahead and took a photo of the whole plant as well as just the cola this time. The lower buds are almost the size the cola was just five days ago.
Which is why I posted again.
This really is like a new toy, I am still stoked.

Attachments

• Day ten of buds shows rapid growth from day five.jpg
    Day ten of buds shows rapid growth from day five.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Ten days since first buds formed.jpg
    Ten days since first buds formed.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 62

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I thought the growth was amazing and took another set of photos at the five day interval.
The growing did not show in the pictures so I decided not to post.

A couple days late I changed my mind.
Before I started growing I went through a lot of threads looking for plant photos from seedling to harvest and went through some amount of time finding any.

So here we are three weeks after first real buds showed up on February 12, five days since last pictures.
Further photos will be ten days to two weeks apart so the changes will be noticeable.

EDIT: The photo is right side up where it came from, I tried twice and it comes out sideways no matter what.

Attachments

• Auto Lemon Skunk eight weeks old, three weeks from first buds.jpg
    Auto Lemon Skunk eight weeks old, three weeks from first buds.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 60
  • Auto Lemon Skunk top bud at eight weeks.jpg
    Auto Lemon Skunk top bud at eight weeks.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 63

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey, it's the final product that's important....don't stress on yield other matters....it's all relevant. True, in flowering stage, autos change dramatically after a few weeks in flower. Gotta love it!

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I gave it ten days and the buds are fatter and more pronounced in silhouette. Trichome development is up more than shows in the photos, some are milky.
Buds are getting a christmas tree shape and filling out nicely, yield looks to be a maximum of three ounces if all continues without problem.

Attachments

• Auto Lemon Skunk cola on day 65.jpg
    Auto Lemon Skunk cola on day 65.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 65 days since planting this Auto Lemon Skunk.jpg
    65 days since planting this Auto Lemon Skunk.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 67
  • All the major buds on day 65, yield is expected to be three ounces of Auto Lemon Skunk.jpg
    All the major buds on day 65, yield is expected to be three ounces of Auto Lemon Skunk.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 64

Tynehead Tom

ya man, looking exceptional, can't believe those were started after new years LOL
I've seen enough just in this thread to really kick up my interest in trying an auto strain.
nice set up and awesome lookin ladies ;)

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Now I understand better why the seed banks give away free seeds, I never would have tried an autoflower if it had not been given to me. Although the plant itself is small the buds are among the most solid I have ever grown.
I just received four more autoflower strains that advertise larger plant sizes with equivalent potency.

The pictures look about the same but the density of the buds has gone up, scissors, even my custom needlepoint, will not slide in for trimming. Not that they need to, but it would be impossible, the buds are too tight and would have to be broken to make space for the blades.
I am really impressed with the physical aspects, but I keep in mind none of this plant has been tasted at all. It does smell vaguely skunky with a tiny trace of citrus.
I should find a popcorn bud and at least chew it up so as to have a clue, but that would spoil the surprise on spring equinox when the calendar says it should be done.

Attachments

• Auto Lemon Skunk cola at seventy days is extremely dense.jpg
    Auto Lemon Skunk cola at seventy days is extremely dense.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Auto Lemon Skunk at 70 days.  Original guess of three oz may have been light, these buds are rea.jpg
    Auto Lemon Skunk at 70 days. Original guess of three oz may have been light, these buds are rea.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 58

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
77 days from planting and the Auto Lemon Skunk is harvested. Not cut down or anything, just trimmed while in the container. I wanted pictures and the plant was small enough to trim quickly.

I am sticking with the original guess of three ounces or less.

I am dead tired, spent all day trimming the plant. Tomorrow it will get cut up and hung and I will have a pretty good guess as to the final weight.

The last picture is Auto Euforia, it should be at least half again larger if not double at harvest. Not in this thread though.

Attachments

• Auto Lemon Skunk before trimming.jpg
    Auto Lemon Skunk before trimming.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Auto Lemon Skunk after trimming.jpg
    Auto Lemon Skunk after trimming.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Untrimmed cola.jpg
    Untrimmed cola.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Trimmed cola.jpg
    Trimmed cola.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Auto Euforia takes the stage alone.jpg
    Auto Euforia takes the stage alone.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 62

ronbo51

Veteran
I originally joined icmag because of the auto forums. I had a lot of fun with them. My first run was an unlabeled mix of named strains and I did an open pollination of everything. I had thousands of seeds. There was lemon, fuel, fruit, every plant tasted and felt different. Thin leaves, fat leaves, almost all finished at about the same as you are talking, 70-80 days. I did scrogs and beer cup sogs and single plants and all my autos went public at three weeks like clockwork. Having ph or nutrient or any issue that slows the plant down is detrimental especially to final yield. With autos the clock is ticking and there is no make up time. If my goal was to grow the largest auto possible I would direct seed into a large container, say a ten gallon smart pot and don't touch it. You should try some more autos outside next (this) season in smart pots that you could bring in on the freak cold night or two. Good job and good luck.

Ujo Poika

Looks nice, man!

My little girls are nothing like that but they are atm mostly lowryder mixes tested for summer's outdoor growing. In Finland (same latitude to Alaska) many autos perform well outdoors but some with longer flowering times need to be started indoors for couple of weeks.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The Auto Lemon Skunk was from Canuk seeds.
The exhale tasted different from the inhale, everyone liked it without exception.
It took two tokes to get a good high which was OK 'cause of the good taste, but I have been spoiled by one hit dope.
Still, it was more powerful than much of what is for sale.

yotonyo

The first generation (F1) of MOV processing are used two long line Finnish outdoor Variety. Male was legendary Jeppis and female was Ovela ratsastaja.
Jeppis was originally bred in Pietarsaari. Forum search "Jeppis" gives a couple thread reading.
New generation (f2) crossed with fastest bloom Diesel ryder
(F3) generation I grow for the mostly indoors the chose best individuals further processing from a big group. About this is due to early harveting.
Lineage goes somehow like this

(Best individuals F4)
((Best individuals F3))
(((Diesel ryder *((((Jeppis*Ovela ratsastaja F1)))) F2)))

Seems like it hard to read but.. :)

On semi-autos.. I would say they are just early flowering strains.. but in fact so early that some of the plants will eventually start flowering regardless of the night hours (24/0). The flowering isn't explosive from the start as they take a few weeks to stretch before packing on the flowers. They however won't breed true for the trait like a real auto, you'll get a mishmash of early and late finishers when outcrossing. Most Danish od genetics are like this, I would look into Thypoon if I was growing in Alaska. They get big too.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I posted a photo (post #29) of an Auto Euforia and said it was not for this thread.

This auto is so different form the Lemon Skunk I decided to show anyway.
The Lemon Skunk auto took 77 days. This Euforia auto is at 69 days and has maybe 30 days left.
Upward growth slowed at 60 days at 49" under 996 watts of mixed lighting.
I am very happy with this plant and have nine more planted to ripen outside under the solstice sun for 21 hours per day this summer.

Attachments

• Auto Euforia planted 02-23.  Age at photo, 69 days.  Height is 49 inches.  Total light is 996 wa.jpg
    Auto Euforia planted 02-23. Age at photo, 69 days. Height is 49 inches. Total light is 996 wa.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Auto Euforia cola at 69 days..jpg
    Auto Euforia cola at 69 days..jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Auto Euforia, 69 days, Auto Critical Mass, 55 days, seedlings, 20 days..jpg
    Auto Euforia, 69 days, Auto Critical Mass, 55 days, seedlings, 20 days..jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I posted a photo (post #29) of an Auto Euforia and said it was not for this thread.

This auto is so different form the Lemon Skunk I decided to show anyway.
The Lemon Skunk auto took 77 days. This Euforia auto is at 69 days and has maybe 30 days left.
Upward growth slowed at 60 days at 49" under 996 watts of mixed lighting.
I am very happy with this plant and have nine more planted to ripen outside under the solstice sun for 21 hours per day this summer.
This Euforia auto is at 69 days and has maybe 30 days left.

Much prefer autos under 80 days, but it's a trade off. Smaller plants, but quicker return, and true auto characteristics.

To each their own. Looks good, though!

Several have mentioned it's a fast maturing plant. Does it autoflower @ 18 hrs indoors?

Latest posts

Latest posts