What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dominican Republic

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
So im taking a trip to the Dominican Republic.
im looking for advice from like minded individuals.
im big on hiking,waterfalls,boating and weed.
the wife is into drinking and horseback riding.

what are some "must do" things?
what is "the scene" like?
how hard will it be to find smoke?

coastal

I'd check out the hiking, waterfalls, boating and weed. Drinking and horseback riding seem like fun things to do.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, dagnabit! i used to go to dom rep a lot when i was working in the caribbean. you can go boating, hiking, fishing, and ride horses drunk all day long there and no one will mess with you.

but they see busting a tourist for drugs as a big money making opportunity. it's an industry there.

they locked up a friend of mine for 8 mos with no charges trying to extort money from his family in the states.

he and his mistress were there on a business trip and she wanted some coke and smoke and so he stupidly asked the taxi driver. the driver took him to some really dangerous place in the capitol, where they bought some stuff and then the driver took them to the hotel.

about an hour later a bunch of cops and soldiers come in and busts them.

apparently they have some kind of unofficial system there where you get a cut if you bust someone.

he was beaten and raped in jail and the medical report was sent to his family to try to get them to pay an exorbitant amount of money to a general in the army. i think it was $200,000 cash US.

anyway, his family eventually was able to send a private chartered plane with a briefcase containing 75,000 and they put him on the plane and told him to never come back.

another incident that i know happened is about a guy who went there as a young man, married a dominican girl, and started a successful business.

he had been there over 20 years when he was at a cocktail party in the capitol and made a disparaging remark about the state of politics there.

a couple days later at 4 am his door is kicked in and a bunch of soldiers come in, beat the shit out of him in front of his family, take him to the airport, and put him on a plane to new york, where he didn't know anyone, and told him not to come back.

he later tried to get at his bank account in santo domingo and was told that no such account existed.

he eventually was able to get his wife and kids out.

in the dom rep everyone is an official tourist guide, with their hand out, of course.

the term "bribe", spanish version, is not known there but they are all familiar with the term "propina", which loosely translates into "a tip for wonderful service".

everybody, and i mean everybody, expects one. the police, taxi drivers, you name it.

just carry a pocket full of 10 peso notes around with you and throw them at everybody.

you can get mediocre to bad weed there from the non-dominicans who work the resorts, but be very discreet.

the best areas are on the north coast, at puerto plata and sosua. lots of people from all over the world and a thriving cultural community.

if you want a weed vacation go to jamaica. even st croix in the us virgins has weed everywhere. everybody smokes on st croix. i have personally seen two uniformed officers, in a patrol car, sit under a tree and burn a fattie.

they just smiled at me. my kind of cops!

the dominican republic is a beautiful place physically. with 7,000 ft mountains in the middle. a nice national park in the rain forest there.

but the people are very poor. unemployment is 30-40% or something that bad and the lucky ones who have jobs working for the big corporations that make shoes and clothing make 75 dollars a week US working 6 10 hour days.

ask the non-dominicans for pot and you will be ok.

have a good time!

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
sounds like a great place to smoke pot. Now i understand why most people dont leave their resort.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
great post delta9.

I concur... if you have no business in the Dominican Republic and just want to to go there for fun, not so ideal, specially if your spanish is shitty or non-existent.

S

SeaMaiden

I was going to say that I would think, even though I've never been to the Dominican Republic, that it would be a lot like Puerto Rico (where a lot of Dominicans go to find work) in that the popular opinion about cannabis is low. I would only discuss it with my most trusted cousins.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
yea the DR is not a cannabis tourist spot...i was in Punta Cana...paid 50 USD...for 7 grams a shwaggy Mexican...it got me high...barely...better to drink the rum..

Go to Jamaica if you want to smoke in the caribbean

peace
Chefboy

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
I was going to say that I would think, even though I've never been to the Dominican Republic, that it would be a lot like Puerto Rico (where a lot of Dominicans go to find work) in that the popular opinion about cannabis is low. I would only discuss it with my most trusted cousins.

well, like puerto rico the population is largely catholic and very morally structured. but pr has the us constitution and bill of rights, you are inside of the us customs, postal, and banking systems, and most people speak english.

i have spent a lot of time in pr and every project has guys lounging around that have anything you want.

the really good pot in pr is being grown in the mountains by americans. and is circulated to a small community.

the old school surfing community.

hey, seamaiden, are you from pr? i love the place. great people, food, sites.

puerto ricans like to party!

Tyga

Veteran
Just stay in America.... plenty to do here IMO... I have a buddy from the DR who RAVES about how great it is. I also have a buddy who went down there 2 weeks ago who said it was a shitbox and he wished he went to hawaii....

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
ok so the consensus is just dont smoke for the week...
i can do that.
ill change my return flight and fly into denver on the 18th. a week smoke free and the cup on the return trip.
im locked into the DR as the all inclusive resort(the hardrock)part is being paid for by someone else...

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
ok so the consensus is just dont smoke for the week...
i can do that.
ill change my return flight and fly into denver on the 18th. a week smoke free and the cup on the return trip.
im locked into the DR as the all inclusive resort(the hardrock)part is being paid for by someone else...

punta cana is nice and there is a lot to do outdoors so you can have a great time there. and i have to believe the north americans and europeans who work there are hooked up safely.

staypuff

Dominican Republic is beautiful plenty to do if you go to punta cana and do an all inclusive deal I go like every year with the fam and each time we go we have a blast, they treat you like a king it's the one place besides mexico where you get your money's worth. In regards to ganja it's treated like a hard drug over there and they will keep ur ass and try to extort you for everything you got... corruption is big over there so if you must toke just be extra careful. Other than that it's an awesome trip and a must try would be the fishing and quad excursion :)

fox mulder

As was mentioned the locals are far more interested in getting a lucrative kickback from the "police" for channeling them a bust and subsequent bribes than they are in making 10 bucks selling you a sack.

Had a guy in one of the beachside shops try to set me up when I was there as a dumb kid.

Stick to the resorts/tourist traps lest you want to risk your wife's honor.

Who wants to smoke that nastiness anyways? The place is haiti by another name.

Also, don't forget, these people despise you.

bigherb

Veteran
Fishing ,surfing, scuba diving ,whale watching in semana an its the season now , cigar factory tour la romana

Many things to do but it depends where you go . I won't suggest buying weed caz not only if u get caught could it ruin your life but what I have seen was horrible dirt weed on 2 separate occasions 2 different sources soo unless you have a trusted friend or source it is not worth it . Now I would never risk it personally but I know of several folk I met during different trips there who have brought there own stash from back home

1luvbigherb

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

yeah delta9 had it right, never been there but a few friends have and say it's no toker's paradise. it is a paradise though and you'll enjoy yourself from what I hear. lots of great stuff (already mentioned) to do, deep sea fishing and an awesome night life.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
good friend went last year, & is going back next week. said the weed was shitty, but the coke was incredible & cheap. he is taking seeds with him to give to a buddy of his that lives there.

I and I

The DR is definitely not Haiti by a different name. In my experience, people are friendly and respectful if you are. Cannabis IS treated like any hard drug and consequences can be pretty severe and a major hassle. This includes road blocks and extortion. That bring said, higher grade herb is available commercially, occasionally, solely depending on when and if the expat surfers are around and have any left. Local herb is not recommended!! I brought some bho with me last trip and the local surfers referred to it as "heavens butter". Haha. Good place to look is in Cabarete, at the main surf spot ( you'll find it). Good luck and enjoy the tropics!

S

SeaMaiden

Yeah, I've met a lot of Dominicans and if they despise me, I couldn't detect it at all. Considering how hard the nurses I've known work for others, the caring I've seen... I dunno, I'm incredulous on that one. I think about the ladies who cared for my great aunt, how upset they were when she fell off the balcony, how they held her hand when she became a screaming fool (Alzheimer's ends up that way) and stroked her hair to calm her... I have a hard time believing that.