What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

315w CDM

Harry Lime

Veteran
I could have sworn there was a thread here about 315 CDM lights but I can't find it so here's one.

I've just done a test run replacing 4 x 600w HIDs with 4 x 315w Maxibright CDMs. Girls were Dutch Passion Power Plant which usually gives just shy of 20 ounces per light.
No pics, I'm afraid. I'm just shit with a camera anyways.
I chopped yesterday so wont know the final results for a week or so yet but here's a couple of things I've noticed.

First, temperature. Much lower. I don't think I would have finished this last lot under 4 x 600s in the heat we've been having of late, which is nice. I expect I'll have to put in extra heating in the winter though. I might put a smaller extracting fan in too.

Stretch. Fuck, did they stretch! I have very limited headroom so it became a real issue, sorted - kind of - by lots of bending and tying.
I wont be running again till winter so I'll have time to change my set up and lower the trays. A bugger because right now the trays are the right height to work on without much kneeling.

I couldn't get the lights more than a few inches above the canopy when stretch was finished. This meant I couldn't get the light coverage as I wanted it. Girls directly under the lights shaded the out ones too much for my liking. The result is that lower buds on the outer girls haven't finished as well as those closer. That said, the light penetration seems better than HIDs and lower buds which might have been fluff are solid chunks.

Branching. The girls branched much more than I'm used to under 12/12. Like I said above, lower buds are fuller than with HID so it doesn't seem too big an issue. Still, I might give girls a closer pre 12/12 trim back next time.
Branches were a little thicker and stronger than I usually expect.

I read that girls finish quicker under CDMs than HID and that seemed to be the case. I still ran the full 60 days I would under HID but I suspect they were finished 5-6 days sooner.

The final verdict wont be until stuff hits the scales. The manufacturer says 315s give the same coverage (1 square metre) as 600 HID but everything I've read says yield will be lower. I'll get back once stuff is in the bag.

I've read of people using 3 x 315s where they usually put 2 x 600s and I might go that way on my next run but it seems like it might be overkill. We'll see.

Back in a week or so. Chip in with any thoughts/experience with 315s CDMs.

Last edited:

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
315 CDM Lights

315 CDM Lights

Hi Harry,
This is quite fascinating and yet I still don't quite understand it. (no change there then).
CDM bulbs are effectively Hid Metal Halide bulbs aren't they?
I use 600W Mh bulbs for vegging and they outperform all other bulbs for this in my humble opinion, but I switch out to full spectrum bulbs for flowering.

How do these new 315W metal halide bulbs compare to the old 600W ones? My 600's kick-out some ferocious heat, so is the main benefit that they run cooler?

Iffy :tiphat:

Blazeee

Veteran
I could have sworn there was a thread here about 315 CDM lights but I can't find it so here's one.

I've just done a test run replacing 4 x 600w HIDs with 4 x 315w Maxibright CDMs. Girls were Dutch Passion Power Plant which usually gives just shy of 20 ounces per light.
No pics, I'm afraid. I'm just shit with a camera anyways.
I chopped yesterday so wont know the final results for a week or so yet but here's a couple of things I've noticed.

First, temperature. Much lower. I don't think I would have finished this last lot under 4 x 600s in the heat we've been having of late, which is nice. I expect I'll have to put in extra heating in the winter though. I might put a smaller extracting fan in too.

Stretch. Fuck, did they stretch! I have very limited headroom so it became a real issue, sorted - kind of - by lots of bending and tying.
I wont be running again till winter so I'll have time to change my set up and lower the trays. A bugger because right now the trays are the right height to work on without much kneeling.

I couldn't get the lights more than a few inches above the canopy when stretch was finished. This meant I couldn't get the light coverage as I wanted it. Girls directly under the lights shaded the out ones too much for my liking. The result is that lower buds on the outer girls haven't finished as well as those closer. That said, the light penetration seems better than HIDs and lower buds which might have been fluff are solid chunks.

Branching. The girls branched much more than I'm used to under 12/12. Like I said above, lower buds are fuller than with HID so it doesn't seem too big an issue. Still, I might give girls a closer pre 12/12 trim back next time.
Branches were a little thicker and stronger than I usually expect.

I read that girls finish quicker under CDMs than HID and that seemed to be the case. I still ran the full 60 days I would under HID but I suspect they were finished 5-6 days sooner.

The final verdict wont be until stuff hits the scales. The manufacturer says 315s give the same coverage (1 square metre) as 600 HID but everything I've read says yield will be lower. I'll get back once stuff is in the bag.

I've read of people using 3 x 315s where they usually put 2 x 600s and I might go that way on my next run but it seems like it might be overkill. We'll see.

Back in a week or so. Chip in with any thoughts/experience with 315s CDMs.

Gram per watt should increase, making them more efficient to use, but i think your grams per square foot will be lower than with HPS.

I reckon if you had twice the space and used the 8 of them then you would see an increase in yield.

Ive been playing around with them using a mixed spectrum and i like them, and agree they would work great in summer to help keep temps down compared to HPS.

They also work great for vegging with.

Ive also heard you can use the double ended 630w CMH bulbs in a gavita, does anyone know if this is correct, anyone tried it.

Also does anyone know if your able to use the solis tek 4k or 10K DE bulbs in the Gavitas?

Harry Lime

Veteran
Hi Harry,
This is quite fascinating and yet I still don't quite understand it. (no change there then).
CDM bulbs are effectively Hid Metal Halide bulbs aren't they?
I use 600W Mh bulbs for vegging and they outperform all other bulbs for this in my humble opinion, but I switch out to full spectrum bulbs for flowering.

How do these new 315W metal halide bulbs compare to the old 600W ones? My 600's kick-out some ferocious heat, so is the main benefit that they run cooler?

Iffy :tiphat:

Iffy, alls I know is it's something to do with umols and I don't even know what a umol is:laughing: That and photon flux and I don't know what one of them is either.
The bulbs look very different to HID bulbs, cost a lot more but are supposed to be good for a year, if I remember right. There's two different kinds - veg and 12/12.

There's a massive thread about CDMs in the other UK forum. Consensus there is that 315 CDM yields equivalent to around 500 watts of HPS.

Harry Lime

Veteran
Gram per watt should increase, making them more efficient to use, but i think your grams per square foot will be lower than with HPS.

I reckon if you had twice the space and used the 8 of them then you would see an increase in yield.

Ive been playing around with them using a mixed spectrum and i like them, and agree they would work great in summer to help keep temps down compared to HPS.

They also work great for vegging with.

Ive also heard you can use the double ended 630w CMH bulbs in a gavita, does anyone know if this is correct, anyone tried it.

Also does anyone know if your able to use the solis tek 4k or 10K DE bulbs in the Gavitas?

Blazee, something I forgot to mention was the stink - much stronger than under my usual 600 HPS. Is that what you find?

There's a lot of talk on the other place about an increase in bud quality too. This harvest was certainly a lot stickier than usual.

Blazeee

Veteran
TBH with you harry i cant comment on increased stink as i have been running mixed spectrum, i did one full CMH only run but that was from seeds, so couldnt comment.

But i have noticed strains under the CMH or even with the mixed spectrum put out alot more resin than under HPS

F

Freedom45

I’ve run these for years and they are literally no better or worse gram per watt as normal hps

I’ve done 12 and 18 light rooms with them and the results are no different than hps, you do get more resin and a slightly better end product but that is probably down to more light distribution and even coverage than the actual spectrum.

If you don’t care about electric costs and have the space then your always best going with 50 quid 600w hps light and just using more of them, change the bulb every 6 months and your good for 18- 20 oza light.

Harry Lime

Veteran
So, the bottom line. 4 x 315w = 42oz = 9.3 grams per watt over 60 days. That's the same gpw I pull from my 600 watters.

Anyone want to by some 315w CDMs?

Harry Lime

Veteran
Great work harry, what size tent/room did you have them covering?

In a spare bedroom, Blazeee. I used my usual set up, two trays, 1 x 2 metres, so 1 light per square metre.
24 plants - 6 per light.
7.5 litre pots of coco, drip fed, run to waste.
GPW is fair enough but I may as well put 600s over.

TBH, after cutting the girls down it was clear the penetration of the 315s wasn't as good as I first thought and not as good as 600 hps,

madalasatori

Veteran
Used a couple of these to supplement my gavitas for the last five weeks of flowering on my last run to see if there was in improvement in quality.

I can’t see any difference so far and they finished at the same time as usual.

Resin production, smell etc seems no different to straight gavita runs

Will give a final verdict when dried and cured

Harry Lime

Veteran
Used a couple of these to supplement my gavitas for the last five weeks of flowering on my last run to see if there was in improvement in quality.

I can’t see any difference so far and they finished at the same time as usual.

Resin production, smell etc seems no different to straight gavita runs

Will give a final verdict when dried and cured

You got that verdict for us yet, Maddy?

madalasatori

Veteran
Hello mate - the final product did look more shimmery and the trichs looked a more golden colour so was very appealing.

It also smelt stronger but I dry trimmed this time so I think that made the difference in smell.

Based on the quality of the recent harvest i will continue to use supplemental cmh from week five of flower :)