What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Baked and Go Fishing

sprout420

B.C. said:
PULL EM UP! REEL EM IN! GAFT EM HARD! RAW-HIDE! LOL! That's a good one Pan!......Hey Sprout did ya ever do any smelting on Lake Mich.? I heard there easy ta catch. Don't know much about em, I jus know they're tasty. lol later,BC
Never went smelting on Lake Michigan. When I was a kid (mid 70's) I went Grunion hunting a couple times on the beaches of SoCal. Good times.....they come up on to the beach to lay their eggs and you chase them around and catch them with your bare hands. I don't think nets are allowed. That's the closest I've ever come to anything like smelting.

sprout420

caligreen said:
I like to fish and smoke at the same time its very relaxing.

My problem is I havent caught a damn fish for months, I bought a license recently, and go every weekend. Our lakes are good so is our ocean but I just have bad luck I guess.....
Hope the fish start biting for you. It's still nice to get out and enjoy nature.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've been fishing since I was eight, and smoking since I was sixteen, so inevitably, most of my fishing has been done high! I have two or three rivers available locally that hold brown trout - two tiny rivers (3m width), and one 'normal' (10m width) size. The season opened recently, and I'm heading out shortly to try them out - the floods last year wrecked a lot of the river fishing for a while, but the trout should be OK. However, I don't fly fish, so just adapt usual 'coarse' tactics - legered minnow or worms. Floats aren't allowed during the non-trout close-season, but trout being trout, they're easy to catch with these methods.

Don't have many pics online, but this was from a day out on a Trent weirpool last year - moored over 20 feet of turbulent water, we caught something like sixteen barbel up to ten pounds right under our feet - and they don't half pull back in those conditions, high or not! This one was six pounds four ounces - about 2.85 kilos:

Zathir

Great pics, as sprout said keep'em coming!

30389IMG_8699.JPG

30389IMG_8701.JPG

30389IMG_8702.JPG

:wave:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only fishing really enjoy these days is night time trolling for walleye.
We usually start off @ about 10pm and prefer to fish under the full moon which helps the walleye target our lures. We use Rapala lures exclusively as they have proven their worth time after time.

The walleye on my wall weighed nearly 14 pounds. That is a 4.5 inch F-11 in the Rainbow Trout pattern. These lures generally run about 1.5 feet deep and are called 'Floating' Rapalas. My fish measured 34.5 inches long.

I've caught close to ten walleye that have weighed over 10pounds (all released except for this one mounted fish) which is remarkable as many good fishermen here in Minnesota will never catch one in the 10# range in their entire lives. Up north in some remote Canadian lakes it is actually common to catch 10-14 pound walleye but here in MN we have heavy fishing pressure and a depletion of the larger fish numbers. My luck or skill in bagging so many big fish comes from the fact I fish them at night til the early am, 99.9% of the time I'm the only boat on the lake during these times.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BTW,

wanna catch a great buzz that'll only cost ya a few bucks
and might very well last an entire lifetime?

Take a kid fishing.
I'd joined a Big Brother mentoring program many years ago
and spent many funfilled hours with Dallas. When fishing we'd
have contests for the smallest fish, the biggest , and the most
fish caught. Most of the time I'd just ask a neighbor if they'd
let us fish from their dock and I always got a yes from them,
many times that neighbor would tell me to use their boat to go
out on the lake. I usually brought a small 'Hibachi' style grill w/
us so we could cook up some fresh panfish. Dallas' mom would
tell me that he talked about our days fishing all the time and
to all their family. We must've taken over 1000 panfish off of
Bartlett Lk. near my homestead.

If I have to explain to you the benefit you'll receive then this
might not be your cup of tea but I can assure you that there
is a kid out there that would love to have someone take them
fishing.

Be the hero in some kids life, I promise you'll dig it big time.

Guest423

Veteran
almost everyone i know here in MN has caught walleyes over 10lbs...sometimes we catch a few 10lbers in the same day.....same with saugers in the 4-5lb range...it's not uncommon to land 75-100 walleye and saugers in a day.

Stoner4Life said:

wanna catch a great buzz that'll only cost ya a few bucks
and might very well last an entire lifetime?

Be the hero in some kids life, I promise you'll dig it big time.

Dude!! you are f'ing awesome! When i was working at the bait shop over here we dealt with the park district and had a kids fishing "class" at local parks. Taught them about local species and not leaving anything at the lake, then fished bluegills all afternoon. the look on their face when they started reeling them in, priceless.

NOKUY

Veteran
yep...my best childhood memories w/ the 'rents are fishing, hunting, and cutting firewood....just being out in nature.

"S4L" awesome that peeps care about the kids that dont have a dad or family that'll teach them about this stuff.

i've caught quite a few walleye over 10 pounds myself, but ive spent zillions of hours fishing....i've also caught a ton of northern pike over 20# (we had a day on Tobin lake in sask. canada where we caught about 40 pike over 20# in less than 3 hours)
(we as in about 10 peeps in 3 boats)

i'm also a big fan of ted nugents "camp for kids"....where he teaches kids about the ways of us outdoors people. even tho ted is anti drugs he's a good guy.

i dont usually smoke much weed when i fish, and never do when i hunt...i guess it's a different type of high for me, but i got no gripes if thats what ya do. :wave:

VictoryGardener

holy hell
FishHead said:
18358brookie-thumb.jpg

VG-

I too am from WNC (born and raised). I am now attending college in the Rockies and majoring in Fisheries management and biology. Growing my own and fishing are two things I'm good at, hence the username. It's really good to see someone from home on here. Maybe we can share some rivers or stream names to compare how close our stomping grounds are without getting too specific. Chattooga River and Nantahala River ring a bell? I also hit the brookie streams. Anyways, glad I found this thread. Damn I love this place!

Fish :wave:

I've fished the nanty but I prefer smaller waters, personally.

I've fished a lot of the water in Avery/ Watauga/ Caldwell counties in NC... also fished most of the water in Carter county, Tenn.

I'll wet a line in any smaller stream with a few trout swimming around in it.

Maybe this summer I will annex the GSMNP into my stomping grounds

:headbange

VictoryGardener

holy hell
oh, and to be completely honest, unfortunately I was not the lucky fisherman that caught that brookie.... I've only got a few fish pictures, and they're all 35mm prints.... I almost never take a camera with me... along with a vest and sometimes a net, its just too awkward to carry a camera- I look too much like Gomer Pyle out fishing, anyway.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NOKUY said:
i'm also a big fan of ted nugents "camp for kids"....where he teaches kids about the ways of us outdoors people. even tho ted is anti drugs he's a good guy.

i dont usually smoke much weed when i fish, and never do when i hunt...i guess it's a different type of high for me, but i got no gripes if thats what ya do. :wave:
I'm a big fan of Nugent as well, great sportsman & rocker and I sure can't hold being sober against anyone even if they do speak out against drugs. Catching a buzz while fishing is a blast for me as it's two of my favorite things to do.......

sprout420

I'll be taking my 9 year old niece out fishing this year. Of course I don't smoke when I'm with her. I usually spend more time baiting her hook than fishing myself. It's totally worth it to see the smile on her face. Her dad is kind of a dead beat and doesn't enjoy being a father. I try to make up for it when I can. I have a little one myself, still to young to go out with me.

Taking a kid fishing, definitely the best buzz there is.

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i love fishing ,my rods will be back out again soon
this winter only fished a few canals, just messing about looking for big perch
but in the summer im a carp man, u cant beat a bit of floating bread on a size 6 hook

dont take no fancy gear,just a rod,reel and pack of hooks and shot .
....oh and my weed

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Time's comin...

Time's comin...

hey, I too am awaiting the 08 season. Gamefish seasons are closed ATM, first ones will open next month. Just lined up my newest aquisition, we'll break 'er in soon...

Fishing + a little smoke = an excellent way to kill a summer day. A puff or 2 sure helps keep ya pitchin' and twitchin' thru those long slow spells that happen at times...

Keep those lines tight! :rasta:

Peace

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sprout420 said:
I'll be taking my 9 year old niece out fishing this year. Of course I don't smoke when I'm with her. I usually spend more time baiting her hook than fishing myself. It's totally worth it to see the smile on her face. Her dad is kind of a dead beat and doesn't enjoy being a father. I try to make up for it when I can. I have a little one myself, still to young to go out with me.

Taking a kid fishing, definitely the best buzz there is.
kudos bro.......
I might've been a bit clearer myself in that matter, I only stone when fishing with my adult friends or fishin solo & usually we do that in the late night, never when I'm with any youngsters. I don't need any distractions when with kids fishing, that would take away from the good experience imo.

Thank god for Zebco rods for the kids, nearly bullet-proof.

K+ sprout, good looking out for your niece.

sprout420

Stoner4Life said:
kudos bro.......
I don't need any distractions when with kids fishing, that would take away from the good experience imo.

Thank god for Zebco rods for the kids, nearly bullet-proof.

K+ sprout, good looking out for your niece.
You said it. Love the Zebco push buttons for the kids. Easy to use and pretty cheap too.

I had a pretty shitty childhood but one good thing was learning how to fish. My hope is that I can make her childhood a little better. We all grow up too quick.

Latest posts

Latest posts