What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hunza and other less known landrace indicas?

deadM

Strange DC..never saw that before MrPurple :chin:

Mazar I shariff... does she smoke like a indica, that type of buzz?
nothing compared to commercial indicas..it's not hard couchlock but boddy stone..i feel it in my legs :smile: great smoke and nice head buzz.
Taste is as sweet as fine afghan hash..so resinous it's hard to roll in joint..

leaf isnt lookin much like a indica.
it's typical with afghani's..sensi's and HGF's afghanis do thinner leaves in flowering times as well.

beancounter

Veteran
Interesting thread. I love pure indicas with a passion.

I'm growing Petrolia Headstash IBL from reef and in the population of 6 plants there were 2 very Deep Chunk like plants, 2 50/50 hybrid looking plants, 1 sativa leafed plant, and 1 plant that was more indica, and had some of the DCish traits.. These plants showed their variations from seed, right away.. I'm not really sure what to make of it, as it surely doesn't look like an IBL to me, but there is all sorts of Afghan in the line. I got a good spit of fems and males and will make a batch of F2s to work with and see what they grow like. I do have to say i'm pretty disapointed with the variation on a $200 IBL, but i'm sure they're be some sweet afghan smoke outa the 2 DC-like phenos.

I also have some Afghan Dream IBL going, mae by BC Seed Company. They are quite stable, looking more like a 50/50 hybrid, or a 25/75, than DC anyways. They do have the same type of branching, with the branches growing close to the stems, and getting shaded out by the dense fans.. This line should look somewhat similar to that mazar in flower.

Then i'm growing Bub's PAKI IBL (unreleased) and this line is wild, i love it. It's very similar to DC is 'wow' factor in the fatness of the leaves, thick, juicy stems, slightly branchier, but still has a problem with lower lighting from the fat fans. VERY beautiful plant for me, i love it.. It's a super slow vegger aswell, and it looks nothing like PTK, at all. This one i can't wait to flower out, it's jus gorgeous.

I also started some Pakistani landrace seeds from Blue Hemp at the same time as the PAKI IBL for comparisons, they were/are completely different plants.. The Pakistans look more like a hybrid, but i could also see them being just a different type of indica, as the leaves are fairly fat and the growth is still fairly compact, but when comparing to DC of the PAKI IBL nothing else looks pure indica anymore, lol. These were sexed when the PAKI IBLs were still 3-4 nodes tall, like DC, the PAKI IBLs sit there and eat nutes making ginormous fan leaves, and doing sweet fuck all. lol but they look pretty doing it.

I've also started some of Bub's Hill Temple Indica (unreleased stabilized hybrid), which is supposed to be a very nice afghan hybrid, i look forward to this one, 100% germ as usual for bub's gear.

I love indicas, and would love to try every pure one on the market at least once.. I have a few more from Blue Hemp like lebanese, nepali, and another i think.

High, my name is beancounter, and I'm an Indicaddict :wave:

zamalito

Veteran
You're a lucky guy to have some of those paki. Actually we're all lucky that someone as cool as bc has it bececause we know it probably won't disappear anytime soon. From the pictures and description I've seen I'd rather bub released that before the dc but I can't complain about the dc. At least the dc mother that I have is similar to the way deadm described his mis as a nonsedative body buzz or what I'd call a social indica but everyone else on here says dc is a deep couchlock so maybe I'm just a weirdo.

One thing about the petrolia is that when it was sold by hillbilly dreams their story was that the seeds were stored in a jar unbred from the 70's until sometime in the 90's so perhaps there was a population bottleneck and the lack of inbreeding is why it varies, but then again hillbilly dreams didn't sell it for 200 and you'd expect reef to at least do some improvement to justify charging that much more. Wasn't herijuana a hillbilly dreams line also? Anyways I'm psyched to hear that you have the paki. Wasn't htc indica released at doctor Chronic when they carried htc seeds?

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings all !

Sorry for late reply, been away the net due to some health problems.

I've never seen an Hunza plant. What's the main characteristics? Is it still an classic indica, but in her own way?

Hunza plants are very massive ones compared to other indica like HIndu Kush strains. First I saw them from the running bus on some road side, I just thought "wtf is THAT ?" I had to see a few more rows to realise that these monster plants were cannabis. The latest I was in Hunza was early-mid august, so flowering was just verily starting. Most plants were quite short, about 4 feet, but with very big leaves and thick trunk.
Some of the plants were much taller (like 8-9 feet beginning of Flowering) and oddly shapped. Was like a huge green ball put on a tee. Thinner leaves than the shorter plants.
The lowest quart of the trunk is usually devoid on side branches (I don't know if it's from human action - plants are grown for seeds- or a natural feature - have seen on some wild Punjabi strains).

Here are some pics of Thunj (traditionnal name of Cannabis in Hunza).

The picture don't give justice to the plants alas, hadn't my good camera for # 4, 5, 6 .
First pick is not from me, it shows a cut down, "ball" pheno.

RF strainguide for Chinese indica stands that she comes from southwest China (which might refer to Xinjian - chinese part of Turkestan), and Yunnan is more like southcentral China. But who knows.

I doubt it is from Xinjiang. It's never qualified as being South West China. yunnan is probably more accurate.

Saying like, Turkish indica, can be anything. It's a big country. But if we take a closer look, we might assume that it comes from some of rural mountain regions (and Turkey is full of mountain regions). It might come from Anatolia, or Ararat mountain, or coastal Taurus mountain, or...

yup, alas it's very hard to get accurate information from breeders. for Turkey, definitely strains from near caucasus must be pretty different from those of Bursa and western Turkey. It's a shame they don't make these informations available. Even Mazar e Sharif is sometimes labelled as a Hindu Ksuh strain, but Mazar is not in the Hindu Kush !

we could say that true indica landraces comes only from Hindu Kush and from some parts of surrounding mountain ranges (like Karakorum, Himalaya and Pamir).

you can find them up to 50°N in Tuva Republic, western Siberia. Check this pic here, from Baityk Shan Range (Western Mongolia) :

Looking at the map, we can see only mountains, mountains and mountains in that area. We cann't expect Cannabis is grown on rocky tops and slopes. There's a lot of valleys with more or less fertile soil (probably more acidic than surroundings). Mriko will surely know better, but i presume every of that valleys, isolated enough from the others, has an unique strain.

Not only mountains, DRY mountains and steppes. The large leaves could have been developped by the plant so as to gather as much rain as possible, when it comes. THe leaves and their stems are especially designed to channel the water from the leaves, down to the trunk of the plants, straight to the roots.
Plants growing in environment with a rainy season didn't need to develop the large leaves.

Definitely some valley have their typical strains. The Laspur I grew was quite different from the Yarkhun, which are quite different from the hunza.
When I was in Chitral I heard about a tiny valley clsoe to Afghan border where the, wild, plants are ALL short-statured wide-leaves pheno. That's what my guide said to me. Could it be this place were Vavilov found his kafiristanica pheno ? This valley is actually part of this "Kafiristan" vavilov had explored.
I have to go Chitral in 2007 so I'll do my best to visit this valley. I have also to visit an Iranian community overthere who I've been told make some top notch hash. Will be interesting to know wether they have brough seeds from their homeland.

since according to clarke cultivated Sativas were introduced from turkestan into afghanistan throughout the 1800's and sativas grow wild in parts of North india and pakistan.

Is it not rather the Indica that Clarks believe were brought to Afghanistan by Turkestanian fleeing newly born repression on hashish making ? Still I find his theory very hard to believe. Firstly because of the exodus road he proposes. According to him, people fleeing Xinjiang would have entered Wakhan Corridor, then instead of going straight westward, through the fastest, and most probably safest road to Mazar e Sharif, the refugees would have gone towards South West through Yarkhun, Chitral and Kunar valleys (traditionnal charas caravan road), then move again to North West towards Mazar. That road was pretty unsafe, going through quite wild areas, prone to raiding from kafiristan tribes.

I believe that what vavilov called cultivated drug sativas in afghanistan were actually larger longer flowering Indicas introduced from Russian and Chinese Turkestan and that clarke possibly misinterpreted Vavilov because his definition of Indica probably differed from Clarke's.

Actually I doubt the strains were "introduced", provided they were really introduced from abroad, and not rather selected from the wild, as late as what is written by clark. Actually, for instance, the name of Yarkhun probably come from the time (between 9th and 12th century - have find more about it) when somearmy from Yarkand invaded the Yarkhun valley. Earlier, 8th century, a "chinese" army briefly occupied the CHitral valley
(and Yasin valley, + Gilgit > Mean they went most probably through Hunza). Later in late 14th century Timur Lang subdued the valley on his way to Punjab. THese could have been occasion for seeds to travel as well.
While in Chitral I heard two stories. One was that during the times of charas caravans, the King of Chitral, in order to help his people fight poverty introduced seeds from Badakhshan to grow and make charas. Chitral King were famous for being realy ugly people, who didn't give a shit about their people life, so...
Next time I go there I hope to meet some member of Royal family and, who knows, get some access to ancient archives or documents about the caravans.

Irie !

Last edited:

Tripco

Thanx Mriko, this was a very descriptive answer.
This Hunza (or, as you said Thunj) "ball" pheno reminds me to Azerbaijani indica, but Azers have much broader leaflets, somewhat like those indicas from Irani Elbruz mountain (i saw it in that thread about Irani strains a day ago).
It seems like Hunza landrace has some sativa influence (according to leaves).

zamalito

Veteran
I remember the first time I heard of the hunzas. My mother fed us a hunza based diet for a few years as a child. The hunzas are known for their health, long lifespans and low cancer rates but so do most people who live in extreme altitudes.

zamalito

Veteran
Almost forgot to say thank you mriko for sharing the pics. I can't wait until your next trip through indica country.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
This Hunza (or, as you said Thunj) "ball" pheno reminds me to Azerbaijani indica, but Azers have much broader leaflets, somewhat like those indicas from Irani Elbruz mountain (i saw it in that thread about Irani strains a day ago).
It seems like Hunza landrace has some sativa influence (according to leaves).

That's interesting. Are the Azeri as tall as the Hunzakhut ? you know from where in Azerbaidjan ?
Aren't these Elbourz strains rather sativas ? nice one by the way heheh...

There could be some influence in some strains, although they are not any wild growing sativas in Hunza, the taller indeed have thiner upper leaves. But no sativa structure at all. I haven't seen them in full flowering alas...

I remember the first time I heard of the hunzas. My mother fed us a hunza based diet for a few years as a child. The hunzas are known for their health, long lifespans and low cancer rates but so do most people who live in extreme altitudes.

heheh nice ! for sure they have great life style. Amazing environment. Tons of Apricots and other fruits. and of course lots of recipe with cannabis seeds, yum !

you welcome zamalito, always happy to do so. heheh, can't wait my next journey too.
Have to go again Chitral/Hunza again to deepen historical research and more collecting, and hopefully Kashmir valley as well. Next flight shoudl be around May/June !

Irie !

Tripco

mriko said:
That's interesting. Are the Azeri as tall as the Hunzakhut ? you know from where in Azerbaidjan ?
Aren't these Elbourz strains rather sativas ? nice one by the way heheh...

I ment this one from Iranis. Clearly indica.

11909Iransk_indica.jpg

And about Azeri. They do make an such ball shaped bush, but they grow to about 130cm (4 feet), maybe a bit more. I'm not exactly sure for the region, but i think it was from Caucasus mountain. I saw Azeri in cultivation, here in Serbia, outdoors, back in 1993. Some friend of mine grew it. I remember one particular plant yielded 800 grams in fresh undryed buds. Somewhat late in maturation - i think it was the end of october, certainly second half of october. Very strong body stone, kind of couchlock with a delay: first 10 minutes or so, only weird cerebral activity is present (very interesting audial effects). Unfortunately, those genetics are lost (at least in my area) due to unwanted cross with Skunk #1. Anyway, some of plants from later generations were quite interesting.

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
one of the neatest threads Ive read in a long time!

alot of good information, coupled with some of the most renowned Indica appreciators in the community!
definetly a cool gathering, one that should be recognized for what it is, and oh the potential!

keep sharing folks!

Peace, bub.

i am interested to know other growers experience growing chinese indica (any variety chin. indica he he). i have a handful of these beans i got from a buddy. also, how does it smoke?

Last edited:

JDOG6000

Veteran
I ended up with only one Hunza male. And 5 females.
All different pheno's pretty sure.
But the male is the same pheno as one of the females.
So hopefully it's the best one. But who knows.
I'll make beans thought for sure.

acespicoli

Read the old thread from 2006 or 2007 interested in this! Would love to see flower pics and smoke reports