What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nevilles Haze x Malawi Killer and A5 x Malawi Killer

Spaventa

Veteran
The ladies are beautiful. I can see those phenotype expressions among my own ladies, clearly. There are a couple of interesting ones I will post a picture of later - very early finishing ones that may get harvested before long. Im serious lol but yeah bro, great work.

There was a point I feel mine passed a week or so ago, where now I know that these will be high grade bud. I don't know if they will be "my thing" but Ive seen enough to know this will be some good chit :woohoo:

B

beanz

hay spaventa
I think there would be a few decent quality clones found in these strains .....too be honest for me about 25% killer would be perfect in these ....mainly because if you want killer malawi well thats easy enough to get .....a 30 year old clone line , well thats another story .

you take these hazes beyond what you think is ready and think you will be very rewarded . I,m finding you can really leave hazes well past what you think and they just get better and better

thats where they will really pay off .... especially the haze dominant ones . thats just my view . sometimes I don,t have that luxury with the climate .

but yep quality in these seeds for sure .

Spaventa

Veteran
hay spaventa
I think there would be a few decent quality clones found in these strains .....too be honest for me about 25% killer would be perfect in these ....mainly because if you want killer malawi well thats easy enough to get .....a 30 year old clone line , well thats another story .

you take these hazes beyond what you think is ready and think you will be very rewarded . I,m finding you can really leave hazes well past what you think and they just get better and better

thats where they will really pay off .... especially the haze dominant ones . thats just my view . sometimes I don,t have that luxury with the climate .

For me there is an optimum harvest time. If I miss it, Ive run over usually. I did that with the Purple Haze x Malawi. I let them keep going way past 16 weeks because they kept throwing more pistils and making more resin. I know better now lol. I would not bother with such an individual nowadays. I look for a pace in haze hybrid plant that indicates a 12 - 13 week bloom period. The last Phazexmalawi seeds I have my have a more suitable quicker individual, who knows.

Spaventa

Veteran
9 weeks 2 days 12/12

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

This is the one I was talking about earlier Beanz - Malawi Killer x Nevilles Haze #1
picture.php
picture.php

Spaventa

Veteran
Correction, Malawi Killer x Nevilles Haze #5, at the front is almost the same as #1 and Im guessing NL influenced.
#4 is the one with colas but they are similar to #2 and #3 which maybe got topped more, but they are more sativa.
The smells are seriously tropical, mangos and leather. I don't know which smell comes from which plant exactly.

The tallest tops are 4 ft tall. The rest of the canopy is about 2 and half to 3 ft high. 315w seems to be doing alright as the lower buds down in the shade are pretty solid.

I have a cutting of each of these. I'm curious to run #1 on her own, painstakingly, and see what she got, for real, you know? Its a tent plant all day long and probably done in another week - yield seems to have potential and it has a very high ratio calyx to leaf. Might be another Amnesia or S5 in the making :)

Spaventa

Veteran
Hi Kaskadian :tiphat:
I’m thinking about running them on 10/14 from here. Never tried it. Any thoughts, advice?

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hi Kaskadian :tiphat:
I’m thinking about running them on 10/14 from here. Never tried it. Any thoughts, advice?

Hey man! They're obviously developing well as is, I don't think 10/14 is necessary. If anything I'd go from 12/12 to 11/13 and run 11/13 through the end of flower. I think 10/14 is rarely needed except for really extreme sativas (OTH, Thai, Mango Biche, etc) that are having issues developing under more common light schedules. It wouldn't hurt anything giving 10/14 a try though if you want to see how it does!

Fantastic grow mate... I'm drooling over every new update you're putting out. The pink hues coming into the flower are just lovely.

Spaventa

Veteran
Yes I wondered about 11/13 too. I just don’t like seeing more and more new pistils sprout. I want them to just finish swelling and building resin up. GH “Ripen” was always the thing to do that but I don’t like additives as a rule.
Here’s MKxNH #2, probably the most attractive plant among them at this point.
picture.php

This is the best looking of the A5 crosses imo, #2.
picture.php

akirabull

hy spaventa, i have had similar situations in the past , I understand your little frustration, thats plants require to be well known from grower before obtain their full potential. your second run will be more easier starting from clones. after some mistakes I understand from my plants, especially from extreme hazes or 100% sativas, food plays a big rule during flower cicle. when I cut almost to zero N I start to see better flowers, doesn't matter if plant shows some yellower leaves they respond better than green dark ones. flowering time will be reduced too and I obtain bigger buds. be patient and study your phenotypes, this is an important clue moment to find your best plant or plants and do a second glory run

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Spav

That`s where the nute regime the guys that grow the old cuts use is effective .
No nitrogen after flower set .

Take into consideration the amount of energy you sacrifice on 10 / 14 . From the start .
100 days flower that = 200 hours of light energy the plant doesn`t get compared to 12 / 12 . I have used 11 / 13 to good effect . Though I had a lot of lumens and mixed spectrum .

Comes a time when the new calyxes aren`t going to add much more weight and its time to chop . Diminishing returns .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome looking plants. I would assume they give you awesome highs as well.

I run 9.5 hours for flower. There are pluses to all hours but I want to get things done. If I were just running a strain or two and no time issues, then I might let them go for a longer lights on.

Spaventa

Veteran
Awesome looking plants. I would assume they give you awesome highs as well.

I run 9.5 hours for flower. There are pluses to all hours but I want to get things done. If I were just running a strain or two and no time issues, then I might let them go for a longer lights on.

That is interesting yesum, do you go from veg straight to that? I was thinking about dropping the day length an hour every week or something? but I hear you about getting things done. Obviously, quality is the first priority but the faster you can fill jars with a strain the better.

Another reason some people stick to indicas is because they are put off by long flower times on haze hybrids. Ive heard those guys moan about 10 weeks :) We aren't far off that now so yeah, id rather not see more pistils blanket the existing now its swelling. Thats the only reason Im looking at photoperiod options - to get them to finish cleanly, not early, or faster. might be the GH "Ripen" is the way. I used it once years ago. I don't know if did what I want now but I don't remember it doing any harm.

I must say, the smells are intense. Lots of variation. The plants are very different that for sure. I think the leather comes from the A5 variations and mango from the Nevilles variations but theres also pine in them both. There are some dark oily terpenes in one of them at least. Is NL#5 doing that? or the NMK ?

the_niño

G `day Spav

That`s where the nute regime the guys that grow the old cuts use is effective .
No nitrogen after flower set .

Take into consideration the amount of energy you sacrifice on 10 / 14 . From the start .
100 days flower that = 200 hours of light energy the plant doesn`t get compared to 12 / 12 . I have used 11 / 13 to good effect . Though I had a lot of lumens and mixed spectrum .

Comes a time when the new calyxes aren`t going to add much more weight and its time to chop . Diminishing returns .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

yes please... mixed spectrum for tha win

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
hay spaventa

Hi beanz,

I'm super excited to learn more about the different phenos that these 2 new hybrids produce. And your amazing outdoor plants are excellent examples to be able to distinguish them :yes: Thanks for all the efforts and expertise you are putting into these plants, and for sharing frequently the progresses with us, i'm sure Sammy is also excited to see the progresses.

You are probably right, Malawi is quite dominant in its hybrids, this can be good or bad, depending on your breeding goals. It took me many years to stabilize the Killer phenos in Malawi line so the best traits of the line (vigor, high yield, adaptability, compact flower structure, high resin production, huge trichomes, high flower/leaf ratio, extreme potency, complex and long lasting effects, ... ) are easily passed to its hybrids.

If i had to think about a single sativa landrace, stabilized and inbred line, with an overpowering pschoactivity that can match with the also overpowering effects of the A5, then my choice would be Malawi without any doubt.

It's true that Malawi very rarely will produce hybrids with very refined terpenes unless it is crossed with another strain which is really outstanding in this regard (Malawi x PCK and Panama x Malawi hybrids come to my mind). And the best Malawi flowering traits can be appreciated in Malawi hybrids when they are in the second half of flowering, earlier they are not so exciting.
Your plants at this point are a good example of this. And the last Nevil's Haze x Malawi you have posted is a perfect example of how the best killer Malawi traits can really add interesting flowering traits to the old school haze hybrids:

heres a nice pic I took yesterday of nevil hz x killa
View Image

I think we will be able to explore more interesting terpene combinations (paying special attention to the quality of the incense aromas) when crossing the old dutch haze hybrids with other strains rich in refined (and incensey) terpenes like Panama, Tikal or Kali China, just to name a few that i'm quite familiarized with, but i'm sure beanz you have other exceptional strains regarding terpenes to expand this breeding goal.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Spaventa,

I'm excited as well checking the different phenos you are finding in your garden :)
I think we are finding in these hybrids the variability one could expect from crossing a sativa/indica F1 hybrid with a third different inbred line, producing phenos that lean
A) towards the more indica side (NL#5), like this lovely early flowering pheno, which looks like shiny diamonds ;) :

B) Towards more extreme Haze phenos like this one:

These hazy phenos will surely work much better in outdoors in warm climates or indoors with stronger light intensity and with more space. These hazy phenos can be really interesting because they can throw great qualities from the Haze A male (which rarely has been included in the development of commercial Haze hybrids) in case of the A5 hybrid, but also in the very Haze leaning phenos of Nevil's Haze hybrid, which can produce interesting recombinations between the Hazes males A and C.

C) The third main group of phenotypes would the ones where the Killer Malawi traits are much more dominant and obvious, mixed with both the NL5 indica genetics, or towards the Haze males or in intermediate combinations.

Regarding photoperiods to help your plants to finish properly.
I will follow Kaskadian advice, i don't think 10/14 photoperiods or with lesser hours of light per day will be of any benefit. 10/4 photperiods, as Kaskadian correctly pointed out, are suggested in case you are growing extreme tropical sativas (like pure thais or Oldtimer's Haze) and they continue to reflower after 3 months of flowering. 10/4 photoperiod will help to stop the reflowerings and to ripen these extreme tropical sativas indoors. But in the case of these old dutch hazes x New Killer Malawi hybrids, both the haze hybrids and the Malawi can perfectly be finished indoors with a 12/12 photoperiod, or 11/13 photoperiod for the second half of flowering, but not lesser.

Have a lovely weekend friends! :tiphat:

Spaventa

Veteran
I didn’t change the timer anyway but ok I will leave them as they are. Thanks man, weather is turning nice again here we will hopefully:)